Remove Advertisements

Frequently *Answered* Questions 3.0.2 & Wrath.

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Widdox » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:58 am

Some more ideas for the FAQ, not sure if these are nessisary, but I'll throw them out here and let you decide. Just a few questions I've seen asked.

Since nothing can crush anymore, do I need to worry about the magic 102.4% combined block/dodge/parry/miss?

What is the difference between Divine Shield and Divine Protection?

If I spec into Divine Guardian, do I take raid damage even though I am bubbled?
Widdox

Postby knaughty » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:32 pm

Majiben wrote:The question was Are 10 man versions and 25 man versions of the saved independently? In other words can I do 10 man naxx Thursday night and then do 25 man naxx Friday night?
Widdox wrote:Since nothing can crush anymore, do I need to worry about the magic 102.4% combined block/dodge/parry/miss?

What is the difference between Divine Shield and Divine Protection?

If I spec into Divine Guardian, do I take raid damage even though I am bubbled?

Good suggestions, adding, though will try and shorten them.
This isn't the "Offtankadin" forum. My MoP FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/FAQ-5-0
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Location: Sydney, plotting my next diatribe against the forces of ignorance!

Postby knaughty » Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:39 pm

Major update, boring & pontificating first section on "philosophy" added.
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Postby ClehleyManno » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:07 pm

The Avoidance Macro...I have the old avoidance macro to check my avoidance percentage...does that still work now, or are there new variables?
ClehleyManno

Postby knaughty » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:15 pm

ClehleyManno wrote:The Avoidance Macro...I have the old avoidance macro to check my avoidance percentage...does that still work now, or are there new variables?

There's nothing new, I imagine it still works.

That said, I just use Tankadin2 now.
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Postby majiben » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:45 pm

DR on miss would be harder for the old macro now. you will have slightly less than it displays.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby knaughty » Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:33 am

Haven't got numbers for SotP vs Conviction re last seal nerf. Possible update to spec section after I do.
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Postby Thalani » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:03 am

Just when I thought I had tankadinning all figured out, along comes 3.x and messes it all up. *sigh*

Okay, I've got a stupid question.
SoV? What's that? I tried checking the sticky glossary and all I found was this Alliance-only Seal of Vengeance thing.
The Horde Only equivalent is listed as Seal of Blood, but...
I checked my new favourite seal from 3.x and found Seal of Corruption which, by description, looks to be the same as the Alliance Seal of Vengeance. That's what I've been using, but judging wisdom to keep from going OOM.

Also, I'm trying to find a new baseline numbers post.
At level 70, 490 defense is still correct.
We used to use roughly 250 spell damage for starting Karazhan (mostly picked up from a weapon like the S1 or S2 gavel or a warlock sword), but now I understand spell damage is even less desirable.
What kind of numbers should I be looking for now, just so I can have a baseline to keep in mind going into WotLK?

Thanks!

-T.
Thalani

Postby knaughty » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:35 am

Thalani wrote:Okay, I've got a stupid question.
SoV? What's that?

Seal of Corruption
Thalani wrote:We used to use roughly 250 spell damage for starting Karazhan (mostly picked up from a weapon like the S1 or S2 gavel or a warlock sword), but now I understand spell damage is even less desirable.
What kind of numbers should I be looking for now, just so I can have a baseline to keep in mind going into WotLK?

For what?

Levelling as prot? Doesn't matter, you're replace it all with DPS gear from quest rewards in the first Northrend zone.

Try and get a tanking weapon. Or just get some DPS plate and level to 75+ as ret, then get the smithed tanking gear.
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Postby Thalani » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:14 am

Thanks, Knaughty.

I guess I'm in a bit of a state of flux right now.
I am still tanking lower end stuff (Karazhan, ZA, possibly some Mags/Gruul's/TK).

If leveling to 80 was not "just around the corner" and we would be staying at 70 for a while longer, what are the baseline stats one would expect to have? I think I must be weird for wanting to know this.

Regarding your comment about leveling as prot, would I be able to tank instances in the DPS gear I'd apparently be replacing my tier4 and badge gear with (judging by your comment)? Shouldn't I still have some defense gear for tanking instances?

Oh, and luckily, I had a King's Defender rotting in the bank. I suppose I'll finally get that enchanted (potency, you say?) and tank with that.
Last night I swapped a few things around and loaded some strength into my gear. I would like some numbers to compare to. Is there a thread I'm missing for where my CURRENT stats should be?

Thanks,

-T.
Thalani

Postby deuce » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:00 am

Is there a new AOE shield (ala petrified lichen guard)?

Should I plan on 3 one handed weapons - tank, spell (for max AOE) and Max Melee DPS for solo/offtanking/etc?

Excellent FAQ...
deuce

Postby daemonym » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:24 pm

deuce wrote:Is there a new AOE shield (ala petrified lichen guard)?

Should I plan on 3 one handed weapons - tank, spell (for max AOE) and Max Melee DPS for solo/offtanking/etc?

Excellent FAQ...

no idea on the new aoe shield though i am curious myself. as for the 3 different weapons, id say a yes. if you plan to aoe grind/farm (fast cash/exp?) ever you want the SP weapon, if you plan to solo ever (leveling?) you want that dps weapon, if you plan to tank at some point (hmmm) you'll want that tanky tank weapon.
Again. What grim vision this? Blood stained tomb, beer cans, and piss. This. Is no life...for a god.

Stokpile/Zurathustra of Ysera-US, Horde
Makin the WoW gold blog http://theahpile.blogspot.com/
I have 2 million gold. http://theahpile.blogspot.com/2011/05/i-have-2-million-gold.html
Total as of 5-3-11: 2,064,000g
daemonym

Postby knaughty » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:07 pm

Thalani wrote:I guess I'm in a bit of a state of flux right now.
I am still tanking lower end stuff (Karazhan, ZA, possibly some Mags/Gruul's/TK).

If leveling to 80 was not "just around the corner" and we would be staying at 70 for a while longer, what are the baseline stats one would expect to have? I think I must be weird for wanting to know this.

No idea - sorry. T-4 has been nerfed so hard I just can't comment. I imagine that if you have enough tanking gear to hit 490 dfence, you're probably ready. It's hard for me to comment on early content given my current gear level - I just don't know.

Blessing of Sanctuary certainly makes tanking stuff you out-gear enormously more pleasant.
Thalani wrote:Regarding your comment about leveling as prot, would I be able to tank instances in the DPS gear I'd apparently be replacing my tier4 and badge gear with (judging by your comment)? Shouldn't I still have some defense gear for tanking instances?
Isle-sourced badge gear is Tier-6 - will last to high-70s. T-4 gear (Kara/Gruul/Mag) will be replaced the first time you get a quest reward for that slot.

I have not done it but all reports of tanking instances amount to this:

Tank gear or tank spec: You need one of them, both is overkill
Thalani wrote:Oh, and luckily, I had a King's Defender rotting in the bank. I suppose I'll finally get that enchanted (potency, you say?) and tank with that.
Use it. Love it.
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Postby knaughty » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:14 pm

deuce wrote:Is there a new AOE shield (ala petrified lichen guard)?

Anything with a lot of strength. Haven't seen anything with a proc. Shield spike if you really want.
deuce wrote:Should I plan on 3 one handed weapons - tank, spell (for max AOE) and Max Melee DPS for solo/offtanking/etc?

IMO: Not worth the bother.

If you get lucky, and get a spell-power weapon that's the same ilevel as your tanking weapon, you could pull it out for "massive AoE farming". But if you're only fight 3-5 things at once, the tanking or melee DPS weapon is still better. And a "higher level" tanking weapon is more DPS than a lower level spell weapon.

So when you get the blue lvl 75 weapon option and pick "tanking" or "fury" - that's better than your level 70 epic spell-power weapon.

Once you start heroics - grab a spell-power epic. Just think of it as your healing weapon and let the casters get it first. "Better for AE grinding" is not really "on spec" (IMO).
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Postby deuce » Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:06 pm

Thanks...

To continue the weapon discussion, I would assume a slow (2.6ish) weapon is better - with SoV>SoR... I assume HoR isnt normalized (IE it benifits slow hard hitting weapons like Sininster strike)... I found 3 slow rare or better tanking weapons (one quest, one 5-man drop, one 25man naxx)... Since warriors want fast weapons, I assume these are for paladin...
deuce

PreviousNext

Return to WotLK