Remove Advertisements

Warlock helper?

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Levantine » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:33 am

That's what I heard.
Levantine

Postby hoho » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:35 am

Hm, eradication: 20% haste for 12s, 30s cooldown. 10% proc chanche on corruption ticks.

That means on average it procs once per minute, that is around 20%/(60/12)=4% constant haste. I wouldn't call that too bad. With more mobs dotted up it gets better. It isn't direct 4% damage increase but close.
hoho

Postby Snake-Aes » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:36 am

I know that's true because of shadow bite when you have dots up and improved felhunter. Lil bastard gets a ton of mana.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Snake-Aes » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:39 am

hoho wrote:Hm, eradication: 20% haste for 12s, 30s cooldown. 10% proc chanche on corruption ticks.

That means on average it procs once per minute, that is around 20%/(60/12)=4% constant haste. I wouldn't call that too bad. With more mobs dotted up it gets better. It isn't direct 4% damage increase but close.
<shrug> Said issue had a blue response 2 weeks ago, I believe. If it's good it's good =P

The add of haunt to the rotation removes corruption from the regular rotation because it never expires :o
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Ilara » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:43 am

now he asks if you have an opinion on a suitable rotation to get going?

edit; affliction
Guillex wrote:chop chop slap chop slap slap /b/ fap fap.... gogo
Ilara

Postby Snake-Aes » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:44 am

Asked for too much there =( I didn't give the time to play it around. It's no mistery you have to keep max uptime on haunt and each dot, tho.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Ilara » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:46 am

:) thanks anyway mate, Think you have been a massive help.
Ilara

Postby Levantine » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:57 am

There's no set rotation for Affliction because the dots have varying durations. It's more along the lines of put your dots up, and keep them there.
Levantine

Postby Ilara » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:01 am

yeah, I assumed as much, but I've never played a lock past 12 before myself so I'm far from any knowledge base on them. cheers to those who replied, :D he seems refreshed with ideas now.
Ilara

Postby Lexica » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:21 am

The reason that people always used imp for Dark Pact was the fact you could keep your imp out of combat (therefore better regen).

Since pets are needed to dps now that isnt really a concern.
Lexica

Postby Grimmal » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:52 am

As far as a rotation goes, I was doing something like this while playing my Lock on the beta.

Curse of Elements, Corruption, Siphon Life, and then alternating between Haunt and Shadowbolt while refreshing Siphon Life when it is about to drop. Once the mob gets low enough, Drain Soul is much more dps atm so replace Shadowbolt with it and recast Haunt / Siphon Life as needed. It could probably use some work, but it was doing the job pretty well as long as I had somebody to keep aggro. I've also not looked for dps numbers to compare Shadowbolt to Drain Life.

Solo I was pulling with CoE then casting Corruption and Siphon Life. Drain Life and then Drain Soul to finish the fight and get some mana back. I had more downtime than I did pre 3.0, but it wasn't so much that Affliction isn't still the best choice to level imo.

---

and yes, the reason why the imp was the best choice was you got all of the passives it offered while also keeping it out of combat for better regen. With the newest changes, especially Improved Felhunter, it is no longer the case as your pet does a pretty good job of keeping it's own mana up.
Grimmal

Postby katraya » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:49 am

I'm not awake enough to give a coherant answer. The short version is - send your friend over to the Warlock's Den. It's a great websiote for lock knowledge.

They have quite a few spec discussions going on over there, as well as threads on rotations, gearing, pets and stuff. Like Maintankadin they have been hit by a wave of "QQ Blizzard hates us!" but it is pretty easy to find the useful threads.

I spend most of my day bouncing between this site and that one. :roll:

hoho wrote:I haven't looked into specifics yet but for now affliction got some insane buffs and should be the highest DPS speck for locks.

Are you the same hoho that I see on there and the shadowpriest website? (Not a stalker just curious)
katraya
Maintankadonor

Postby Velgarn » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:47 am

Thanks, was looking for a better place to look for info than the wow forums - also a lock when not tanking stuffs.

For LK leveling, I'd say affliction most likely, probably do the same thing I do for farming - DoT 3-4 mobs, AoE fear bomb, drain life, loot. Repeat.

As for DPS, probably affliction or destro. The biggest thing though is locks are changing from the lolboltspam to actually having a couple spells to cast, and having pets that actually contribute to DPS without dying in 2 seconds (hopefully). From what I saw earlier Destro sac'ing imp vs. letting imp DPS was actually about 1% different, imp as 11% DPS and DS is now 10%. So you're better off with a pet out, giving everyone an HP buff than not.

Fel hunter was already mentioned for affliction.

I've been curious though about a potential demo build using succubus and doing ye old bolt spam + a few dots to see how it worked out. However, I haven't been able to test it. Hopefully the DPS spreadsheets will become more accurate and I can run some theoretical DPS numbers in it to see how the specs pan out.

I don't have the site on this computer but it was lieuler.com or something along those lines. Had a great DPS spread sheet that was kept accurate - not sure if its updated for 3.02 yet. You can plug in your gear, play with talent specs, and setup 'rotations' and see how much DPS you could theoretically output. Was really cool, and a great way to help make spec decisions on affliction vs. destro vs. demo - supposing you enjoy all the specs and only care about doing maxdps. I definitely recommend it to all the locks I meet that ask questions about gear and spec, since it's just that awesome.
Velgarn

Postby Eirny » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:26 pm

My boyfriend is still running his lock Fire Destro I'll see if I can get him to give me his spec later. The only problem we've noticed so far is mobs dying too fast for cast times, the melee and hunters are owning while the casters are all like 'wtf happened to the mob I was just trying to cast at?'.
Eirny

Postby Velgarn » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:06 pm

Had the spelling wrong in my prior post:
http://www.leulier.com/

Apparently it has been updated for 3.02. So you can mess around with specs and see potential DPS. It won't likely be as accurate until they add lag calculations back into the equations, but it will still be a nice tool even as is.

This would at least help with ideas like: is X talent more DPS than Y with rotation Z sort of questions. It used to be impressively accurate for wow 2.x so we'll see if it still is for LK.
Velgarn

PreviousNext

Return to WotLK