Dual Spec Ghostcrawler post

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Somrael » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:41 pm

Very true. A rogue would be able to get the same gear set for both specs, giving them an edge where that's concerned; and I also don't think that it will make more of a difference in having dual specs. On the contrary, pure DPS might really be able to shine, having a "CC" spec for trash clears and a pure damage spec for bosses, or even just being able to PvP and PvE more easily.
"Only the dead have seen the end of war." -Plato
Somrael

Postby Playdoh » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:42 pm

Snake-Aes wrote:
fafhrd wrote:Definitely need a stable master inside instances now.
And a mailbox.

Engineering to the rescue. It looks like portable mailboxes and possibly portable auctioneers are going to be in place.

Not too sure about the stable masters for hunters :(
Playdoh
Maintankadonor

Postby Shoju » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:38 pm

I love this change.

My guild is fairly casual when we raid. We currently (and once we get people with multiple 80s) have people sign up. We then inv people to the raid so we can decide who is doin' what. If we end up with more tanks than healers, I can flop speccs to holy, and heal. If we don't have enough tanks, I can stay prot.

On my mage, it means that I can stay frost for trash then switch to arcane for bosses ( <I will NEVER spec fire> ).

On my rogue..... yeah I just don't care.

All in all tho, dual speccs gets a 10/10 from me.
Shoju

Postby Doogiehowser » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:23 pm

EvilNuff wrote:The thing that worries me about this is the pure dps classes. They really don't get the same benefit out of this. And honestly if you're forming a pug raid with one slot left for dps and you see a Rogue and Pally both looking, they have comparable gear when you armory them...you'll take the pally 100% of the time and it won't even be a question. Because he'll have a tank or heal offspec this literally makes pure dps classes 2nd class citizens. I literally know zero people with Rogues as mains who plan to keep a Rogue as main at 80.

I disagree. There are dps PvE builds and dps PvP builds. My guess is that this is what dps will lean towards. I have a BM hunter so my PvP talents are sorely lacking. I could spec a MM or Survival PvP as well so I can get into a battleground and not feel like I'm the weak link.

Raids are a small minority in the grand scheme of things. Dual speccing PvE won't be the majority. I think it might help dps to branch out a bit more and use more of the game/content that will be available to them.
Doogiehowser

Postby fafhrd » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:38 pm

EvilNuff wrote:The thing that worries me about this is the pure dps classes. They really don't get the same benefit out of this. And honestly if you're forming a pug raid with one slot left for dps and you see a Rogue and Pally both looking, they have comparable gear when you armory them...you'll take the pally 100% of the time and it won't even be a question. Because he'll have a tank or heal offspec this literally makes pure dps classes 2nd class citizens. I literally know zero people with Rogues as mains who plan to keep a Rogue as main at 80.

My hunter would actually love to be able to toggle two different DPS spec - there are definitely some fights I'd rather do with certain talents than others. And that's aside from the fact that right now for instance I have a spec that dips into all three trees, but skips every single interrupt/snare/stun/immunity that hunters usually use in PvP. Being able to switch between a raid spec and a pvp spec, or between a pet spec and a ranged spec, or a DPS spec and a mana-battery spec will be very nice.
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby Tunnis » Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:11 am

With dual specs will you be able to get kings on one spec, buff the raid and then go back to your other spec?
Tunnis

Postby majiben » Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:23 am

Tunnis wrote:With dual specs will you be able to get kings on one spec, buff the raid and then go back to your other spec?
No
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Harlequina » Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:42 am

After having played now with both prot and retri in the patch... I just can't wait for this function. :p

Or even Prot/Holy, since prot can solo things just fine really. (quite a shortage of healers after the patch... or it feels like that anyways)
Harlequina

Postby knaughty » Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:44 am

Tunnis wrote:With dual specs will you be able to get kings on one spec, buff the raid and then go back to your other spec?

This should go up as a FaQ or something...
This isn't the "Offtankadin" forum. My MoP FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/FAQ-5-0
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Location: Sydney, plotting my next diatribe against the forces of ignorance!

Postby Obrimos » Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:07 am

Levantine wrote:
Brand wrote:
Hiroko wrote:If you respec for a change of pace, to do dailies, 5 man or pvp then I feel you should be 'charged' in some way - the current way of paying for respecs seems to work.

If you respec between boss fights in the same raid instance because of different requirements in raid composition dictated by the encounter design then you have an argument for free on-the-fly respecs.

However
It is my opninion that Blizzard are picking the wrong path to rectify this issue. I would be much happier if they designed the raid instance so that it was expected that you finished the raid with the same people in the same specs that you started with. Designing an instance that requires, say, 4 tanks and 7 healers on one fight and then 1 tank and 10 healers on the next is a failure in design in my eyes, and Blizzard are taking the easy way out by allowing dual specs.

What will be next? tri-specs so we can be healer one fight, tank the next and dps the 3rd?

Not every respec I do is a "change of pace", and if so wouldn't be doing so at least 2-3 times a week if not more. But it is nice to get away from grinding as Prot for a bit to do stuff as Ret for awhile. And honestly, as a class that can spec for three different roles, is it such a bad thing to be able to experience all sides of the class without having to constantly be subjected to a fee? Granted that was their intention initially but now with Dual Specs coming that's 2/3 of the class (or multiple specs of the same role) that you don't have to worry about.

As for a charge, I think having to carry around a complete set for a different spec will be taxing enough to go with different permutations of tanking gear that most (myself included) seem to run around with based on what kind of tanking scenario arises. Granted for us, seeing as we have quite a bit of Str on our gear, we could probably just bring a 2h and then put that on while in our tanking gear while swapping to a Ret spec and put out serviceable DPS in a raid scenario. Not ideal, but it's something they may be taking into consideration when alleviating a fee from swapping specs on the fly.

As a Holy Priest, all I can say is blow me. I'm going to look forward to being able to grind in Wrath, thankyouverymuch. (and before you say but you still have spellpower fueled spells, Speccind shadow MORE THAN DOUBLES my dps)

I would but Shadow Form chaffes :3.

I'm really looking forward to this. I love Arcane and Fire on my Mage, now I can do both. I love Combat and I've recently fallen in love with Mutliate again on my Rogue. Tanking and Retadin are both super fun on Obri, and my Shaman grew up Enhancement but is Resto now, and I miss her leaning over her axes like she's gonna @#$@ someone up.

I can't wait :D.
Obrimos

Postby PsiVen » Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:23 pm

Splug wrote:
Fridmarr wrote:
Splug wrote:Drums have actually been reworked in the last build. The tooltip now includes a line to the tune of, "Does not effect players level 80 or above."

-Splug

Is that because there are going to be new drums to make, or they just don't want that mechanic anymore?
While there was a new set of drums at 80, I've heard they were taken out recently and replaced with self-only bracer and leg enchants as the leatherworking perk. I have not confirmed that, but I have seen stats for the self-only bracer/leg armor.

-Splug

Yep, the new drums are gone. They don't want leatherworkers raid buffing at 80.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Robbo » Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:03 pm

Snake-Aes wrote:
And a mailbox.

Shit, while we're at it an AH too.
Robbo
Maintankadonor

Postby camlost » Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:20 pm

I personally love this idea, as I have grown to really love both healing and tanking, and I want to focus equally on both.

Granted this will be hard, but I probably won't be going extremely deep into end-game due to lack of playing time and a relatively small guild.

Respeccing is just annoying, and if they can even come up with a way to remember action bar setups, that would be very convenient.
camlost

Postby fafhrd » Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:29 pm

Robbo wrote:
Snake-Aes wrote:
And a mailbox.

mailbox and ah are both being put in as engineering recipes. no stable master though.
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby aranil » Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:09 pm

fafhrd wrote:
Robbo wrote:
Snake-Aes wrote:
And a mailbox.

mailbox and ah are both being put in as engineering recipes. no stable master though.

I thin they will, I know a lot of hunters who are engineers
aranil

PreviousNext

Return to WotLK