What dual Spec are you getting?

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

What Dual Spec are you getting?

None, Main-Tank spec is enough
4%
Main Tank + Off-Tank (max TPS, more in Ret)
4%
Prot + PvE Heal
11%
Prot + PvP Heal
4%
Prot + PvE Ret
52%
Prot + PvP Ret
20%
Something different (but why are you in a Maintankadin Forum?)
4%

Total votes : 166

Postby Grimmal » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:10 pm

PvE Ret and PvE Holy (with Beacon for 10s)

I enjoy all of the trees for Paladins (which is why I'm here btw), but with the rise of the tank in the coming expansion I'm thinking Holy will be more groupable. Add in PvE Ret for general leveling and questing.
Grimmal

Postby Splug » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:13 pm

Ulushnar wrote:
balrogg wrote:honestly, i sort of feel the nerfbat coming to ret.

No, I don't think so. Don't judge the situation on level 70 gear with level 70 abilities and talent points.

Blizz has said that Ret's "fine", and they presumably won't repeat the mistake they made in 2.0 of nerfing it based on the data gained at the wrong level cap. If there's an issue at 80, they'll fix it at 80.
The groups I've been in have seen ret damage in Naxxramas a good 500-1k dps above other classes. However, I've also been doing a few pugs with some fairly terrible players... so that may be a bit skewed. The runs I do with guildmates usually involve people who can't get epic weapons to drop for their class, so that data's thrown out by gear discrepancy. But even pickup ret paladins with mediocre gear are scoring very high numbers. Maybe it's just luck of the draw or player base, but over several samples of data, the ret paladins are almost always at the top of damage.

EDIT: Recently, hunters have been putting out fairly rediculous numbers (5k+ dps). They're actually ahead of everyone right now. But ret's still quite a clip ahead of what seems to be the "normal" damage band.

-Splug
Last edited by Splug on Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Active raid character: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... an&n=Spyte
255 characters is not enough to fit my alts' armories in.
Splug
Maintankadonor

Postby ulushnar » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:14 pm

Kroda wrote:
Ulushnar wrote:
balrogg wrote:honestly, i sort of feel the nerfbat coming to ret.

No, I don't think so. Don't judge the situation on level 70 gear with level 70 abilities and talent points.

Blizz has said that Ret's "fine", and they presumably won't repeat the mistake they made in 2.0 of nerfing it based on the data gained at the wrong level cap. If there's an issue at 80, they'll fix it at 80.

GC said they may be adjusting RET pvp dmg soon (possibly via hotfix)

Yep, but since both me and Balrogg were talking about their PVE role, that's probably not strictly relevant. As I said, I hope the next four weeks of whining don't lead them to make a hasty call.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Somrael » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:33 pm

Prot + PvP Ret. My guild has two other pallies, one of whom is going Holy/Ret, and the other has a druid main and I couldn't say what he's doing. But my guild goes through periods of frenzied activity, on every night, knocking out instances right and left and raiding until the wee hours, and doing *nothing*, during which it's nice to have BG's to fall back on. With these two specs, I'll be able to enjoy the full spectrum of WoW as I currently do without spending money to respec constantly. =) (Not to mention I don't think PvP Ret will be too shabby as a PvE DPS build when we need it).
"Only the dead have seen the end of war." -Plato
Somrael

Postby Meliora » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:49 pm

Ret & Holy PVE, no one else is stepping up to do it and I want to make sure I can keep my raid spot. Will pick up all the prot gear I can and perhaps down the road get to go back prot.
Meliora

Postby AutomaticZen » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:08 pm

Prot + PVE Holy

Heal if I can't tank.
AutomaticZen

Postby ScribeShanky » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:18 pm

Definitely Prot+PVP Healing.

With the changes to Holy Paladins, level 80 Arena could be very, very fun.
I just love it when a good keikaku comes together.
ScribeShanky

Postby fuzzygeek » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:56 pm

If we get dual specs with no CD, I'll be prot-with-kings and prot-without-kings. If no one else in the raid/party has kings, I can switch specs, buff kings, then go back to non-kings spec.

Win.

Of course, I'll probably be prot/prot anyway.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby TheHonage » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:18 pm

I dps'd some when I first hit 70 on one of my other paladins for the guild I will be in (my maintankadin was 1-70 prot, and rarely respecs, he MT's through curator on his first night being 70 ;P <3 BOEs?). So I'm asked to DPS when I'm not MTing and that'll be my duel spec.
TheHonage

Postby dromanex » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:56 pm

i said prot+pve heal... but to be specific it will be a 51/0/20 build with efe.

ill be using the holy build for pvping, but i love the crit from ret soo much i just couldnt care less for the typical pvp goodies in prot.
"Normal people are the ones you don't know very well."
dromanex

Postby PsiVen » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:57 pm

Ascendant wrote:prot + pvp ret

because I will actually be doing arenas. pvp ret is good enough to dps fights that I wont be tanking.

This for me.

Depends though, if we can still respec in town without disrupting the system I may just go ahead and do Prot + PvE Ret and change it to PvP Ret for arena time.

fuzzygeek wrote:If we get dual specs with no CD, I'll be prot-with-kings and prot-without-kings. If no one else in the raid/party has kings, I can switch specs, buff kings, then go back to non-kings spec.

Win.

Of course, I'll probably be prot/prot anyway.

I'm quite sure they won't allow this, or there would be no point in speccing into all kinds of buffs for raid builds.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Zargon » Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:05 pm

Personally, I'm gonna be going MT Prot/PvE ret just for the fact that i suck nuts at healing, never could actually get the hang of it. That, and I've always been a damage dealer at heart, so going ret just seems like the right choice short of going shock.
Zargon

Postby Levantine » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:04 pm

PvE Holy and PvP Shadow

I'M IN UR PALADINZ FORUMZ, BEIN' ALL PRIESTLY.
Levantine

Postby knaughty » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:20 pm

MT w. Kings + PvE Ret.

25-man progression raider. Will mostly tank, but if it's a single tank fight better suited to other class, I'd rather pull out a 2-h and DPS than heal.

Also gives me a spec to quest with and have some fun.

I don't PvP much... if I did, I'd probably do BGs as prot spec and run the flag (and kill rogues).
This isn't the "Offtankadin" forum. My MoP FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/FAQ-5-0
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Location: Sydney, plotting my next diatribe against the forces of ignorance!

Postby Korath » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:45 pm

I'll prob be doing MT / OT specs as I have a 2nd pally who (currently lvl 60) who will be Ret PVE / PVP specs.

.::. Karak 70 Resto Shaman .::.
.::. Sajuuk 70 Destro Warlock .::.
.::. Bentusi 60 Ret Paladin .::.
Korath

PreviousNext

Return to WotLK