Remove Advertisements

warrior AOE tanking concern

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

warrior AOE tanking concern

Postby Orms » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:46 pm

I've seen a lot about warriors taking less damage than a paladin while AOE tanking, but I'm wondering if they do more threat also. Now that the mastery skills (shield wall, recklessness, retaliation) are 5 min cooldowns, that means a warrior can dance to pop retaliation while AOE tanking ever 5 mins (4 talented). Wont this mean a TON of threat and DPS on a semi regular basis?
Orms

Postby Songblade » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:57 pm

Yeah, it would be good for a burst threat, but since Retaliation has charges, about 30 or so IIRC, then it wouldn't really last that long. It would be kinda like us popping our wings.

[Insert witty comment here]
Songblade

Re: warrior AOE tanking concern

Postby Drathian » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:59 pm

Orms wrote:I've seen a lot about warriors taking less damage than a paladin while AOE tanking, but I'm wondering if they do more threat also. Now that the mastery skills (shield wall, recklessness, retaliation) are 5 min cooldowns, that means a warrior can dance to pop retaliation while AOE tanking ever 5 mins (4 talented). Wont this mean a TON of threat and DPS on a semi regular basis?

These threads are getting ridiculous.

At level 70, Damage Shield, Shockwave, and thunderclap ALL put together produce 3/4 the threat that consecrate alone does. By the time warriors and paladins scale up to 80, this might change. I haven't crunched those numbers yet. It's worth noting that Damage Shield and Shockwave are both mitigated by armor, Shockwave can be parried, dodge, and can miss, and thunderclap can resist.

As for their mastery skills, we still have Avenging Wrath.

It's all a moot point anyway.

If you REALLY want main tanking parity, be prepared to give up being the hands-down AoE threat tank.

I could care less if a warrior tanks Hyjal waves as good as I do, UNLESS Blizzard does not compensate by allowing us to Maintank as well as they do. Allowing us to Maintank as well as they do seems to be the general intention.
Drathian

Re: warrior AOE tanking concern

Postby Songblade » Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:04 pm

Drathian wrote:
Orms wrote:I've seen a lot about warriors taking less damage than a paladin while AOE tanking, but I'm wondering if they do more threat also. Now that the mastery skills (shield wall, recklessness, retaliation) are 5 min cooldowns, that means a warrior can dance to pop retaliation while AOE tanking ever 5 mins (4 talented). Wont this mean a TON of threat and DPS on a semi regular basis?

These threads are getting ridiculous.

At level 70, Damage Shield, Shockwave, and thunderclap ALL put together produce 3/4 the threat that consecrate alone does. By the time warriors and paladins scale up to 80, this might change. I haven't crunched those numbers yet. It's worth noting that Damage Shield and Shockwave are both mitigated by armor, Shockwave can be parried, dodge, and can miss, and thunderclap can resist.

As for their mastery skills, we still have Avenging Wrath.

It's all a moot point anyway.

If you REALLY want main tanking parity, be prepared to give up being the hands-down AoE threat tank.

I could care less if a warrior tanks Hyjal waves as good as I do, UNLESS Blizzard does not compensate by allowing us to Maintank as well as they do. Allowing us to Maintank as well as they do seems to be the general intention.

I am Songblade, and I support this message.

[Insert witty comment here]
Songblade

Postby BigBlueCheese » Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:04 pm

From what I've read, warrior and druid multi-tanking abilities are just help keep them above healing aggro. Not to keep aggro on warlocks spamming seed of corruption and mage aoes.
BigBlueCheese

Postby Jedah » Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:11 pm

Retaliation only has 30 charges/15 seconds. It's nice but I wouldn't say it's a reliable source of threat compared to consecrate.
Jedah

Return to WotLK