View Points on WotLK Death Knight Tanks?

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

View Points on WotLK Death Knight Tanks?

Postby Fenira » Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:35 pm

Okies, so I've basically been thinking a lot about this new tank class they're bringing in and I had some concern about us Paladins losing are reputation in the game for tanking, I know that basically we were pretty good stuffs in the Burning Crusade but do you think DK's will put Prot Paladins to shame?
- they have aoe tanking moves I'm pretty sure of... so ya
- can wear a shield and tank
- the expansion will probably be evolved around that type of class being able to do most of the content, tanking for example, kinda like hyjal for us pallys :D

anyways, discuss what do you think?
Image
User avatar
Fenira
 
Posts: 670
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:22 am
Location: Ontario Canada

Re: View Points on WotLK Death Knight Tanks?

Postby ulushnar » Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:36 pm

Fenira wrote:- can wear a shield and tank


This is why you fail.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
User avatar
ulushnar
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 5442
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 6:56 am
Location: Bollocks, Scotland

Postby Fenira » Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:37 pm

k?
Image
User avatar
Fenira
 
Posts: 670
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:22 am
Location: Ontario Canada

Re: View Points on WotLK Death Knight Tanks?

Postby Macha » Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:38 pm

Fenira wrote:- they have aoe tanking moves I'm pretty sure of... so ya


So, basically...

"I'm sure they have stuff, but I really got no idea whatsoever, so I'll just make random stuff up and get scared"

Just read up on them first ;)
Macha
 
Posts: 625
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:50 pm

Postby Xorlandu » Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:39 pm

DK's can't wear shields is what he's getting at =p
Xorlandu
 
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:44 pm

Re: View Points on WotLK Death Knight Tanks?

Postby Conaan! » Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:40 pm

Ulushnar wrote:
Fenira wrote:- can wear a shield and tank


This is why you fail.


lmao nice
Image
Lore wrote:JEAPORDY: CREEPY BASEMENT EDITION
User avatar
Conaan!
 
Posts: 1271
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 3:22 pm

Postby ulushnar » Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:40 pm

Death Knight's don't wear shields for one.

For another, Blizzard has stated it was their intended goal in WotLK for all tanks to be viable main tanks.

Need I remind you they've gone on record as saying this was not their goal in TBC, and we have still had Protection Paladins tank almost every boss in the game as a progression kill.

Imagine how much better we'll be now that is a stated goal for us.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
User avatar
ulushnar
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 5442
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 6:56 am
Location: Bollocks, Scotland

Postby Fenira » Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:40 pm

heh i was leveling my paladin on the beta servers and I saw one come and attack me, basicially they had this aoe move with hands coming out of the ground, some people on the forums suggested it would be a great way to build threat like Paladins can with our AOE....
Image
User avatar
Fenira
 
Posts: 670
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:22 am
Location: Ontario Canada

Postby Worldie » Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:40 pm

DK cannot wear a shield :)

DK currently have the flavour of being self-sufficient tanks: their runic power is generated by their own skills, and runes refresh themselves. Think of them like if Runes = Energy and Runic Power = Combo Points.

So their main strenght is that they are the best offtanks ever. They are built to be a class which can tank and dps without changing spec.

WotLK will see over nine thousand DK rolled in his first 3 weeks. The number of DK which will get to 80 and raid will probably be somewhere similar to the number of baby sea turtles who manage to become adult.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
User avatar
Worldie
Global Mod
 
Posts: 13381
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:49 pm
Location: Italy

Postby Fenira » Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:42 pm

well I'm sorry about the shield part I was under the wrong impression and never looked into that deeply, however I make a good point and if what he says is correct and each tank will be equal I'll just have to wait and see, I know with TBC that wasnt always the case...
Image
User avatar
Fenira
 
Posts: 670
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:22 am
Location: Ontario Canada

Postby ulushnar » Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:44 pm

Every tanking class in WotLK has some form of AoE tanking ability, be they DK, Warrior or Druid.

Currently the four classes stack up as follows:

Warriors: Average health, average avoidance, good range of oh-crap abilities.
Paladins: Average health, average avoidance, consistant blocking for less damage spikes.
Druids: high health, low avoidance.
Death Knights: high avoidance, low health, good low-cooldown mitigiation abilities.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
User avatar
ulushnar
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 5442
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 6:56 am
Location: Bollocks, Scotland

Postby Fenira » Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:46 pm

Ulushnar wrote:Every tanking class in WotLK has some form of AoE tanking ability, be they DK, Warrior or Druid.

Currently the four classes stack up as follows:

Warriors: Average health, average avoidance, good range of oh-crap abilities.
Paladins: Average health, average avoidance, consistant blocking for less damage spikes.
Druids: high health, low avoidance.
Death Knights: high avoidance, low health, good low-cooldown mitigiation abilities.

I like the sounds of things.
Image
User avatar
Fenira
 
Posts: 670
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:22 am
Location: Ontario Canada

Postby Falkman » Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:46 pm

Fenira wrote:basicially they had this aoe move with hands coming out of the ground

This is a talent, and it does no damage by itself :P
Barbossa, lvl 80 human tankadin
Jazine, lvl 80 draenei shaman
Ywaine, lvl 80 draenei death knight
User avatar
Falkman
 
Posts: 170
Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:51 am
Location: Sweden

Postby Lore » Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:46 pm

I recommend doing a bit more research before crying wolf ;)
User avatar
Lore
Global Mod
 
Posts: 7757
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:52 am

Postby Worldie » Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:48 pm

They do have 3 AoEs however, Death and Decay (Targetted AoE, istant cast, DoT like consecration, CD longer than duration), Pestilence (spreads their DoT on the target on all nearby targets) and Bloodboil (deals damage based on the number of DK DoTs on all nearby targets).
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
User avatar
Worldie
Global Mod
 
Posts: 13381
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:49 pm
Location: Italy


Return to WotLK

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest