Remove Advertisements

Holy Wrath Range

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Holy Wrath Range

Postby Joanadark » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:05 am

I really dislike the reduction in range for Holy Wrath from 20 yards to 10 yards.
10 yards is just too small to use the spell for the many awesome-to-the-point-of-almost-being-OP things that could be done with it in it's current incarnation on live.

10 yards is simply just annoying, because its pretty hard at times to get it to even hit the things youre trying to hit when you're still used to the 20 yard range being ingrained in your reflexes.

It's no longer really functional as a great initial aggro spell, in the same kind of usage as thunderclap or shockwave on an incoming pack. I've never liked Consecrate as an initial aggro tool because it is static, relies on ticks and is therefore non-instant, and individual ticks are for not that much threat.
I like snap aggro. And 10-yard Holy Wrath only really works on on stuff that has already been gathered up and is on you.

Boo on this change.
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark

Postby Kayoto » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:25 am

I never even noticed that they reduced the range.

That sucks. :( It's not like leaving it at 20 yards would've been overpowered, or anything.
Kayoto

Postby Worldie » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:31 am

Considering it's now istant and stuns, and its cooldown got reduced by half, i can live with 10 less yards on its range ;)
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Pallypete » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:38 am

Worldie wrote:Considering it's now istant and stuns, and its cooldown got reduced by half, i can live with 10 less yards on its range ;)

This. Getting things to aggro on me was never the problem, getting stomped by Hyjal trash cause I lagged out while trying to perfectly time the spellcast is. "Boy this spell sure is taking a long time to caOHMAHFACE!"
:wink:
Pallypete

Postby Dunster » Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:22 am

Worldie wrote:Considering it's now istant and stuns, and its cooldown got reduced by half, i can live with 10 less yards on its range ;)

I never used it when mobs where more than 20 yards away usually anyway.
Dunster

Postby Io.Draco » Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:31 am

Does it break CC? I seriously never used it when there was a CC up
Io.Draco

Postby Tahl » Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:49 am

I seriously never used it. So any improvement is welcome.
Tahl

Postby Velgarn » Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:56 am

Not really sure if it broke CC or not, but I always used it in Hyjal. Bubble + HW = threat on everything I want to tank. Then break bubble. *pray the other tanks get the Aboms off while my pot/trinket are up*. [The bubble is only on lolBoltSpam caster phases.]

It worked extremely well, except of course when the DPS war kept going splat because I was bubbled and everything aggroed on him. LMAO. He died about 5 times before figuring out what happened.

Regardless, only difference now is well... I don't have to cast it quite as early, and I can cast it during combat as well for extra threat/mitigation. w00t.

Not sure how nasty the range will be though. I'll see. As long as a well timed one can still hit all the ghouls on their way in, not an issue for me. I don't really see why it was needed though.
Velgarn

Postby Songblade » Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:09 pm

In truth, it's better overall as is anyway, you just have to know how to use it right.

Before, you usually waited for the mobs to come to you and dropped it, hoping they don't get to you before you get the cast off. Now you can just drop a consecrate for initial aggro, and once they're all in range, use Holy Wrath.

This makes it more practical. If you add in the 30 second cooldown instead of 1 minute, it makes it less of a "pulling" ability, and more of an ability used on AoE rotation.

Don't forget that the new Holy Wrath is instant cast, a hell of an upgrade from 2 seconds.

[Insert witty comment here]
Songblade

Postby Lore » Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:50 pm

The only reason it needed to be 20 yards before was so you could cast it before things started punching you in the face.

Instant cast >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 20 yard radius
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Sharlos » Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:52 pm

I only ever used it to pull all the trash before moroes at once.

But now that it and AS is instant its won't make too much of a different.
I hate signatures, but i love irony
Sharlos

Postby Dehn » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:55 pm

Dunster wrote:I never used it when mobs where more than 20 yards away usually anyway.

I've done it.. *mutters*. It was usually my opening aggro-move on Hyjal packs.
Dehn

Postby Songblade » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:58 pm

Dehn wrote:I've done it.. *mutters*. It was usually my opening aggro-move on Hyjal packs.

[Insert witty comment here]
Songblade

Postby Radience » Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:11 pm

Instant cast hardly matters anymore with changes to spell pushback.
Radience

Postby knaughty » Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:12 pm

Pallypete wrote:"Boy this spell sure is taking a long time to caOHMAHFACE!" :wink:

This.

20 yards was enough to hit 4-6 mobs (at most) if you timed it perfectly. Mistime it by a second, or get a tiny lag spike, and the Aboms tear your face off with a meat-hook. Never used it anywhere else, ever.

One of the nicest things my mages do in Sunwell is Dragon's Breath the skellies at Felmyst when the dust caller yells Run to the other side!. Instead of having the back of my head torn off as I flee, the mobs go Wait.. what? Where'd she go?. Now I can do it myself.

Far more useful ability now, though still very situational.
This isn't the "Offtankadin" forum. My MoP FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/FAQ-5-0
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Location: Sydney, plotting my next diatribe against the forces of ignorance!

Next

Return to WotLK