Questions About Diminishing Returns

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Questions About Diminishing Returns

Postby TheHonage » Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:39 am

Hello there!

I am currently reworking my "Protection Paladin Bible" -- A spreadsheet that calculates stats when pieces of gear and enchants are input. Furthermore it tells me the basics I need to know, for example how far I am in both % and rating from uncrushable. There is also a gear comparison area which compares gear in 3 catagories based on preset rankings I have created: Overall Avoidence, Overall Mitigation, and TPS. The list goes on -- basically it's all I have to use instead of wowhead/warcrafer/other spreadsheets to calculate everything I need to know. I also have it calculating actual TPS, not TPS based on an ideal situation (i.e. using everything on CD, as this is not possible) for a 2, 5, 7, or 10 minute span. This can also be set to factor in Avenging Wrath/procs/on use items.

Anyways, so here are my questions portaning to diminishing returns for avoidence calculations:

- Do Diminishing Returns work with Block

- is the 5% parry/dodge from talents subject to diminishing returns? I.E. it is only 4.875% dodge?

- There are basically four ways to get dodge: agility, dodge rating, and 5% from your talents. Which of the dodge% gained from these is added to your overal % first?*

Thanks for the patience,

-Honage

*this matters as if the answer to question 2 is no, however the 5% from talents is not added before any one of the other 3 methods of increasing dodge/parry% then you are essentially gaining .125% dodge that you would not have otherwise.
Last edited by TheHonage on Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheHonage

Postby guillex » Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:40 am

Not gonna be answering, but just letting you know that you double posted the topic.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby ulushnar » Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:41 am

* No DR doesn't apply to block.

* I'm not sure if the base from talents is effected.

* Parry & Dodge gained via Defense or Agility is affected, as is the miss chance from Defense.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Eender » Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:43 am

http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/ ... hp?t=12925

Links to it in the other Diminishing Returns threads were even still on the first page.

Samsonite! Man, I was way off...
Eender

Postby majiben » Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:51 am

This thread has most of the answers to this as well as a link to an excellent EJ thread.

DR only applies to dodge, parry and miss. Block escapes it's wrath.

DR only applies to armor stats that enhance your change to be missed, dodge or parry. Those stats are:Defense, parry rating, dodge rating, and agility. For deathknights it may also apply to parry from strength.

This means racial agility, dodge, parry, base chance for a mob to miss and talented dodge and parry are unaffected by DR. This means a talented but naked paladin will have approximately 10% dodge, 10% parry, and 5% base chance to be missed. These numbers may be a bit lower than that becuase many races/classes don't have exactly 5% dodge/parry naked and untalented. A lower number than this is not due to DR.

This means wheter or not you picked up the 5% dodge from talents your losses in dodge to DR would be the same.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Return to WotLK