Remove Advertisements

Will we even be able to tank right off the bat in 3.0?

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Will we even be able to tank right off the bat in 3.0?

Postby Bk992004 » Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:45 pm

All this talk about our tanking stats changing and no more necessity for spell power and needing strength and all that... Are we SOL until we can put a warrior tank gear set together now, or will we at least be viable for current stuff?
Bk992004

Postby Conaan! » Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:46 pm

your overly viable for it, all paladin tanking gear is being switched to work with the post 3.0 paladin
Lore wrote:JEAPORDY: CREEPY BASEMENT EDITION
Conaan!

Postby Signum » Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:51 pm

The only issue I've seen with my avoidance in beta is the change of Anticipation from defense to dodge. So I'm now under the crit cap (around 475 defense now). I'm under 102.4% too, but since they changed crushing blows, I am not too worried about that.
Signum

Postby Seraphia » Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:51 pm

The only thing you might have to gather up, is a physical dps weapon, instead of our old caster type weapons. But even that isn't really 'required'.

/Sera curses all the times she's passed on the King's Defender :x
-Seraphia <Slap in the Face> : Doomhammer
Seraphia

Postby Warcraft » Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:57 pm

Yes, you can tank in 3.0. Your spell damage weapon still works fine so don't worry if you haven't gotten a melee weapon yet.

The only thing I've seen some Paladins struggle with is 490 defense without Anticipation. Which, on another note, really makes me wonder what you guys are wearing...

I've never specced into Anticipation before and I'm sitting at 511 defense without a single defense gem or enchant, and no defense on my shield or trinkets.

I suspect you all just need better rings...
Warcraft

Postby Conaan! » Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:00 pm

Warcraft wrote:Yes, you can tank in 3.0. Your spell damage weapon still works fine so don't worry if you haven't gotten a melee weapon yet.

The only thing I've seen some Paladins struggle with is 490 defense without Anticipation. Which, on another note, really makes me wonder what you guys are wearing...

I've never specced into Anticipation before and I'm sitting at 511 defense without a single defense gem or enchant, and no defense on my shield or trinkets.

i suspect you never tanked that far ahead, the transition of ssc/tk gear to bt/hyjal gear drops alot of defense for avoidance/SD, its a rather tough transition phase WITH anticipation
Lore wrote:JEAPORDY: CREEPY BASEMENT EDITION
Conaan!

Postby Bk992004 » Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:01 pm

Warcraft wrote:Yes, you can tank in 3.0. Your spell damage weapon still works fine so don't worry if you haven't gotten a melee weapon yet.

I had anticipation and haven't wasted any spots on extra defense if I could avoid it... and I put spell dmg on my rings :(
Bk992004

Postby Sabreyn » Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:06 pm

Badge ring and TK trash ring for me. I'm sitting at I believe 472 on the PTR, easy enough to fix with def to chest and wrist and a couple def/stam emeralds. Makes me wonder what you're wearing, 'cause I'm in mostly BT stuff and a couple badge pieces (though I'm still awful and have Maiden neck and T4 hat =/)
Sabreyn

Postby Marklevin » Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:08 pm

if you're short on Def pick up the SSO tank sword, good stuff right there
Marklevin

Postby Warcraft » Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:10 pm

Bk992004 wrote:I had anticipation and haven't wasted any spots on extra defense if I could avoid it... and I put spell dmg on my rings :(

Enchants don't give you defense anyway bro. I meant the rings themselves. I see a lot of people using the badge ring or the 3rd chest ring in their main tank set, and I suspect that's where they're losing a hefty amount.

Conaan! wrote:i suspect you never tanked that far ahead, the transition of ssc/tk gear to bt/hyjal gear drops alot of defense for avoidance/SD, its a rather tough transition phase WITH anticipation

I have tanked that far ahead. Or rather, that far back. I got up tier by tier back when there were still attunements.
Warcraft

Postby Warcraft » Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:15 pm

Sabreyn wrote:Badge ring and TK trash ring for me. I'm sitting at I believe 472 on the PTR, easy enough to fix with def to chest and wrist and a couple def/stam emeralds. Makes me wonder what you're wearing, 'cause I'm in mostly BT stuff and a couple badge pieces (though I'm still awful and have Maiden neck and T4 hat =/)

I'm in a mix of BT and Sunwell gear. Another place I see people lacking defense are the cloak and neck. I'm fortunate enough to have the neck from Kael'Thas, while I see many people running around with that SSO one. I also never use that Hyjal cloak. The TK and badge ones are better (badge one should be accessible to anyone).
Warcraft

Postby etherboy » Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:23 pm

I curse myself for vendoring my Shermanar Great-Ring!
Erugar - 80 Paladin - <Canadian Dogsled Team> - Korgath-US
Armory
etherboy

Postby Mortehl » Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:25 pm

Better is relative. Please be careful when describing what gear is "Better" when you're talking to peple who may or may not have access to Hyjal+ gear (or for that matter anything beyond T4).

For the record, the hit and dodge from the hyjal cloak is vastly superior.
Arthas, we're coming for you. (Eventually)
Mortehl

Postby kylone » Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:28 pm

I'm leveling a new (horde this time) pallie, and Juuust got to outland.
There's a significant portion of the community that hasn't been to heroics / raids at all.
Lv 70 Human Paladin Mythi, Emerald Dream
LV 75 Blood Elf Paladin Miere, Lightning Hoof
(deployed, but squeezing out time on 'public' wifi)
kylone

Postby Mortehl » Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:40 pm

As a follow up to my original post, please don't forget the following defense boosts:

1) Enchants - Chest, Cloak, Bracer
2) Gems - There are green, blue, and epic +defense and hybrid defense gems. If you have slots, this is a cheap way to cap
3) If you are VERY early into the game, don't forget there are some very high defense options such as the aldor chest.

Honestly, remember there's about 5 weeks or so left until WoTLK go time. If you're a raiding tank that is being relied on, look at changing gems and enchants. If not, focus on preparing for the level grind in Wrath. Get your dps gear in order, do some research on what to expect in the starter zones and basically try to get the level grind squared away in short order.
Arthas, we're coming for you. (Eventually)
Mortehl

Next

Return to WotLK