Hammer of the Righteous... is it really worth it?

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Hammer of the Righteous... is it really worth it?

Postby Bk992004 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:00 pm

Admittedly I haven't been in the test realm to see how the new mechanics are working with strength and all, which may be why it doesn't seem like this is such a great talent at the end of the tree. Levelling originally, AS just LOOKED like it was a kick-ass talent that belonged topping out the tree... but HotR just seems like an AS knock-off... especially since AS is instant cast now.

Is it just b/c AS's mana cost is so much higher (26% vs 6% of base mana), or b/c of how strength will be playing into our new mechanics and increasing our DPS?

I'm asking b/c right now I think my melee DPS is somewhere around 135, so 3x that doesn't seem like very much.... but everyone seems to think HotR is great so what am I missing?
Bk992004

Postby Shoju » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:02 pm

this is a MAINSTAY in our tanking rotation now. YES it's not just worth it, you better HAVE IT
Shoju

Postby Splug » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:05 pm

You're probably using a 45ish dps caster weapon instead of a 100ish dps tanking/melee weapon. Also, armor is being retroactively re-itemized to include more strength. Unbuffed attack power at 70 increases significantly as a result. Finally, group buffs such as battle shout are being made raidwide, causing melee stat improvements that were previously extraneous (and likely not obtained as a result) will be made available, granting further increase to attack power. By these factors combined, your character sheet dps should increase significantly.

The paradigm shift alone makes a significant difference in effectiveness, and it does become one of the most efficient spells available as a result.

-Splug
Active raid character: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... an&n=Spyte
255 characters is not enough to fit my alts' armories in.
Splug
Maintankadonor

Postby Bk992004 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:08 pm

Shoju wrote:this is a MAINSTAY in our tanking rotation now. YES it's not just worth it, you better HAVE IT

I've heard it's a mainstay... I reiterated as much.
Bk992004

Re: Hammer of the Righteous... is it really worth it?

Postby Rasmfrackn » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:09 pm

Bk992004 wrote:so what am I missing?

All of the mechanical and itemization changes that support it.

You'll be toting a 150 dps weapon and over 3k AP by the time you start raiding. That's over 350 melee dps total, or over 1400 holy damage per use.
Rasmfrackn
Dwarf Paladin
Icecrown Server
Eng/Scribe/Masochist
Rasmfrackn

Postby Chunes » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:10 pm

yep, just to add to splug's post, in my prot set on beta i'm sitting at around 2k AP with group buffs. Combine that with a nice high DPS weapon and HotR hits for quite a bit. Add this to the fact that it hits 3 separate targets and this ability is sure to be a staple of any threat rotation.
Chunes

Postby ulushnar » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:10 pm

Get it, use it, love it.

Unless you know another way to do massive burst threat to three targets every six seconds whilst simultaneously proccing seals on all of them.

SoV + HotR = unrelenting love.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby ziggyunderslashone » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:12 pm

Yes.
ziggyunderslashone

Postby Neuron » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:14 pm

Yes, it was also stated somewhere by a blue on the beta forums that we are supposed to be sharing gear with warriors and death knights.
http://www.ardentdefender.com - A combat log parsing API
Neuron

Postby steadypal » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:28 pm

hitting the dummies with purely autoattacks and hotr

hotr is doing about 1k dps

autoattack depending on which wpn, fast blade of savagery about 200dps, and heartless 360 dps

hotr is hitting 3 dummies tho so i guess divide that by 3 for single target tanking so 333 dps about for hotr?
steadypal

Postby Rasmfrackn » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:30 pm

steadypal wrote:hitting the dummies with purely autoattacks and hotr

autoattack depending on which wpn, fast blade of savagery about 200dps, and heartless 360 dps

hotr is hitting 3 dummies tho so i guess divide that by 3 for single target tanking so 333 dps about for hotr?

With crits that's probably close to right. Seems a tad high if you're talking PTR and not Beta.
Rasmfrackn
Dwarf Paladin
Icecrown Server
Eng/Scribe/Masochist
Rasmfrackn

Postby steadypal » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:32 pm

Rasmfrackn wrote:
steadypal wrote:hitting the dummies with purely autoattacks and hotr

With crits that's probably close to right. Seems a tad high if you're talking PTR and not Beta.

this was on ptr, and using recount its counting dmg to ALL 3 of the dummies thats why i said divide by 3,, critting for 1800 or so, normals for 800-900

so adds up quick, and also goes down quick if for say your hitting 1 mob only

they need to add a modifier that adjusts its dmg by how many mobs it hits....
steadypal

Postby Rasmfrackn » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:37 pm

steadypal wrote:this was on ptr, and using recount its counting dmg to ALL 3 of the dummies thats why i said divide by 3,, critting for 1800 or so, normals for 800-900

so adds up quick, and also goes down quick if for say your hitting 1 mob only

they need to add a modifier that adjusts its dmg by how many mobs it hits....

Ah, ok. 333 is a little high considering 100% crit rate for 1800 damage would only be 300 dps. :)

850 hits give 140 dps, so scale that up by your crit rate for something roughly accurate.

This new idea sweeping the forum of working like a saber lash is interesting, but really if you do x3 you're going to be critting for 5k or more at 70, and that's clearly a little out of scope for what they're after. :) Hitting for 2500 (850 * 3) is 400 dps or 1100 tps by itself, scaled by crit.
Rasmfrackn
Dwarf Paladin
Icecrown Server
Eng/Scribe/Masochist
Rasmfrackn

Postby Zakkarai » Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:36 am

Same question as original poster, situational addition:

Is Hammer of the Righteous worth it at L70 for those of us with a T6-level spell power weapon, who haven't yet had the luck to secure a standard tanking weapon?

I passed Unbreakable Will to a rogue, of all things, back before the statistic priority changes were announced, and since then it seems like I can't get a single proper tanking drop at the same relative item level as my spellpower weapon.

If Hammer of the Righteous is relatively puny with my current spellpower weapon, can I skip it for the time being in the interest of other talents?
Zakkarai

Postby majiben » Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:58 am

Zakkarai wrote:Same question as original poster, situational addition:

Is Hammer of the Righteous worth it at L70 for those of us with a T6-level spell power weapon, who haven't yet had the luck to secure a standard tanking weapon?

I passed Unbreakable Will to a rogue, of all things, back before the statistic priority changes were announced, and since then it seems like I can't get a single proper tanking drop at the same relative item level as my spellpower weapon.

If Hammer of the Righteous is relatively puny with my current spellpower weapon, can I skip it for the time being in the interest of other talents?
No you can't skip it because even with a gimp spell damage weapon it's more TPS and DPS becuase you will have nothing else to press during the down time. Paladins will no longer have large amounts of down time with our tanking rotation. Also remember that it does 4 times the dps shown on your character page's melee sheet not just the dps of the weapon.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Next

Return to WotLK