PvP Instance Tanking

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

PvP Instance Tanking

Postby Equillian » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:28 am

Now that it's going to be impossible to be unhitable, and uncrittable is going to be the new challenge, would it be wise to PvP for the tanking armor (Resillence, Lots of Str/Sta, and AC) and use the ring, neck, ect slots for the defense/defense skills?

Good idea? Yes? no?

... oh, IIIIIIIIIIIIT'S BACON!!! ... of light.

Had to say it.
I always have a minute, sometimes its taken by someone, but there's always the next.
Equillian

Postby Constantine » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:33 am

I think you could probably use it to help fill in the gaps, but resilience does not equal defense. You only get crit reduction from resilience, while you get dodge, miss, etc from defense.

In all PvP gear, you would end up very low on avoidance. IMO, trading avoidance from defense for HP would not be worth it.
No armory link necessary. I am so awesome that if you clicked my armory link, your computer would explode.
Or perhaps whatever the opposite of that statement would be.
Constantine

Postby tinalt » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:02 pm

go pvp for weeks and get decked out in full S5 gear. then step into a dungeon or raid...and not know a single pull, what any of the bosses do, or what you need to do as a tank to make it a smooth run. because you've been doing pvp instead of tanking.

you are a tank, you want tank gear? go tank something.
tinalt
Maintankadonor

Postby Sarutankah » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:09 pm

That's not quite what he's saying?

And hell yeah - I'm gonna use Resil gear to remain uncrit if I even bother to spec prot for tanking..

I been practicing 2h tanking and it's hell fun, there is just no point tanking normal same level 5 mans in even basic raid gear, hell I sometimes wear a dress as do others here for threat and mana return and my gear is only up to Prince.

Ret with some +strength/resil pvp gear AS WELL AS normal tanking gear is the new 5 man tank :P

Don't forget the new catchcry - Shields are for Wusses.

:lol:
Sarutankah

Re: PvP Instance Tanking

Postby crabcrouton » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:29 pm

Equillian wrote:Now that it's going to be impossible to be unhitable, and uncrittable is going to be the new challenge, would it be wise to PvP for the tanking armor (Resillence, Lots of Str/Sta, and AC) and use the ring, neck, ect slots for the defense/defense skills?

Good idea? Yes? no?

Not at all. The best way to fill up the combat table is with +Defense. It's also shown that as soon as the end of Naxx, tanks are able to reach unhittable.

It takes 39.42 Resilience to get 1% critical reduction or "avoidance".
For the same amount, 39.42 Defense Rating, you'd get 0.67% crit reduction + 0.67% dodge + 0.67% Parry + 0.67% Miss (and 0.67% Block too) for a total of 2.67% avoidance.

Now these numbers are for 70 and as soon as 3.0 comes around, you'll immediately take a sizable avoidance hit (DR has something to do with it too). Having a good mix of Defense will cover up for this while a ton of Resilience will only bring you back to uncrittable but leaving you lacking in avoidance while you sport a ton of Crit.

Admittedly level 70-80 instances are easy enough but the answer does not change: no it's not a good idea.
crabcrouton

Postby econ21 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:32 pm

The S2 shoulders, shield and gavel will help me get uncrittable at level 70 without sacrificing effective health. But thereafter, I don't expect PvP stuff to help much. The scaling with level means that the resilience won't count for so much later on. And there is a bundle of PvE gear with defence that is designed to get us to uncrittable and seems easy enough to get (e.g. from a BS).

A few bits of S2 stuff are attractive at level 70 because their item value is way ahead of pre-raid gear (except badge gear) in BC. But I don't think Wotlk PvP gear that you can get for honor will be that superior in item level to PvE stuff (not for a few seasons, anyway :lol: ).
econ21

Re: PvP Instance Tanking

Postby Sheherezade » Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:51 am

Equillian wrote:Now that it's going to be impossible to be unhitable, and uncrittable is going to be the new challenge, would it be wise to PvP for the tanking armor (Resillence, Lots of Str/Sta, and AC) and use the ring, neck, ect slots for the defense/defense skills?

Good idea? Yes? no?

... oh, IIIIIIIIIIIIT'S BACON!!! ... of light.

Had to say it.

*sigh*
it's definitely possible to gain uncrittable in wotlk...just as it was possible to get uncrushable in blues before MTing kara (which some people didn't understand how to do)...
there are plenty of places to look up information about getting uncrittable...tankspot is one of them...

sure, you can use resilience gear for reaching uncrittable, but remember that +def is always better since it also adds block, parry, dodge and miss.

Is it a good idea or not to use resilience in your tanking gear?
Yes? No?
Well, if you want to spend that time in pvp instead of learning to tank the new instances and actually getting tank gear from there, well, it's your call...

Bacon of light...it was fun the first couple of times...
Brainssss... ( <3 Murata Renge!)
Sheherezade

Postby Joacimcans » Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:37 pm

Tinalt wrote:go pvp for weeks and get decked out in full S5 gear. then step into a dungeon or raid...and not know a single pull, what any of the bosses do, or what you need to do as a tank to make it a smooth run. because you've been doing pvp instead of tanking.

Actually Tinalt i was given access to someone's beta account and i tanked 3 wings of nax 10man in the blue pvp ret set since it was a premade server i didnt have the option to have tanking gear. I had 31k life buffed and thats with the resil/stam gems blizz put into all the pvp gear. So before you go telling people off you might want to get the circumstances. and you dont really have to know anything about nax 10 man to pull the trash i didn't and we still did perfectly fine. took a few attempts on some of the bosses and the one boss was really hard for the first like 5 attempts until everyone learned how to move into different zones when the green lava shit shot up but nax 10 man is significantly easier as far as figuring out what to do than kara was for my first time.
Joacimcans

Postby Eender » Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:47 pm

Samsonite! Man, I was way off...
Eender

Postby Riekko » Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:42 pm

i remember i have read resilience doesnt reduce pve crits in wotlk
but cant say for sure because cant find the source..
Riekko

Postby Caelia » Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:47 pm

Riekko wrote:i remember i have read resilience doesnt reduce pve crits in wotlk
but cant say for sure because cant find the source..

false rumor is false. Blue's have confirmed it to be fake.
In Progress: Fury Warrior: Tailwhip
All Retired: Holy Priest:Appletons | DK Blood Tank: Dreadborne | Prot Paladin: Welsh
Caelia

Postby Sheherezade » Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:54 pm

Joacimcans wrote:
Tinalt wrote:go pvp for weeks and get decked out in full S5 gear. then step into a dungeon or raid...and not know a single pull, what any of the bosses do, or what you need to do as a tank to make it a smooth run. because you've been doing pvp instead of tanking.

Actually Tinalt i was given access to someone's beta account and i tanked 3 wings of nax 10man in the blue pvp ret set since it was a premade server i didnt have the option to have tanking gear. I had 31k life buffed and thats with the resil/stam gems blizz put into all the pvp gear. So before you go telling people off you might want to get the circumstances. and you dont really have to know anything about nax 10 man to pull the trash i didn't and we still did perfectly fine. took a few attempts on some of the bosses and the one boss was really hard for the first like 5 attempts until everyone learned how to move into different zones when the green lava shit shot up but nax 10 man is significantly easier as far as figuring out what to do than kara was for my first time.

ofc it works...

but you can't deny it's better to have:
1) more avoidance from def.
2) more knowledge of the instances and about tanking.

imho, resilience belongs in pvp. it's not hard to get the def for uncrittable, I see new high-def pre-raid items every week...
Brainssss... ( <3 Murata Renge!)
Sheherezade

Return to WotLK