Remove Advertisements

BV Numbers not adding up

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

BV Numbers not adding up

Postby Cowadin » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:28 am

So i just re-transferred my pally to look at numbers and such to prep for patch day on tuesday.. seeing what I had and what regemming/chanting I would need to make sure im still uncrittable, etc.

One thing that I forgot about (and came as a lovely surprise) was that with all the str we get, our BV shoots way up. On live I have 413 BV, and on beta with the same set I go up to 690.

When I saw this huge change (and was still scrounging around for more defense) I thought of the 12 def 10% BV meta, which would be much more useful now with so much more BV. As was probably already discussed here the meta got nerfed down to 5% BV, but I still think 12 def 5%BV > 18 stam. (agree/disagree?)

Cept when I put in this new meta, the numbers didn't add up right. I went from 690 BV to 717, where as it should be 724 or 725 (depending on how the rounding works). Now I know this is only a few BV and isn't too relevant, but I wanted to see where this missed number was coming from, in case I just had a low amount of BV gained from this aspect of my gear, and maybe later it will have a much greater effect on how much BV I would actually gain.

So i added up my BV.. 173 from +BV gear, 141 BV shield, and 217 BV from my 454 str (which.. isn' tit 2 str for 1 BV? making it 227 BV from that? not sure). Then added in redoubt, which put me right at 690 BV. So iono, I can't figure out what part isn't being attributed (or why my BV from str is getting fisted)... but somewhere I'm missing some BV.

Sorry it's semi late so not sure how much sense all of that made -- but somewhere I'm only ending up getting 3.9% BV gain instead of 5% BV from the meta.

-Cow

Tankadin. Pew Pew.
Cowadin

Postby Swagger » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:56 am

It looks like the BV from your shield isn't getting the 5% boost.

690-141=549

549*1.05=576

576+141=717

Assume it's a bug and report it as such, I'd say.

Edit: Also, I'm pretty sure you don't get any BV from your base strength, which is why you have less BV from strength than you would have thought.
Last edited by Swagger on Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Swagger

Postby majiben » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:56 am

The meta gem doesn't stack multiplicatively with redoubt. Rather it stacks additively. Here's the break down:

BV from gear and str= BBV

BBV*(1+.30(reboubt))=690
BBV*(1+.30(redoubt)+.05(meta))=717

Rather than
BBV*1.30*1.05
like you were thinking.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Worldie » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:57 am

What maji said, the gem stacks additively with talents :)
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Cowadin » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:03 am

hmmm icic. makes sense -- thanks for the replies. =)

ok then last question -- 18 stam > or < 12 def 27 BV (that's my number atm at least)

the def/bv is higher EH is it not?

-cow

Tankadin. Pew Pew.
Cowadin

Postby majiben » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:13 am

Cowadin wrote:hmmm icic. makes sense -- thanks for the replies. =)

ok then last question -- 18 stam > or < 12 def 27 BV (that's my number atm at least)

the def/bv is higher EH is it not?

-cow

The 18 stamina provides 200 hp without kings. That would take 7.5 blocks too make the EH gain equal. Of course it's not fair to just pit the BV against the stamina. 12 defense is worth 18 stamina in ilevel so the BV puts the 12def/bv ahead in ilevel.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Worldie » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:23 am

The 12 defense one, because defense will soon be your nightmare.

Plus, as some people know, i'm a avoidance whore anyway (all my tank gear is gemmed with dodge or defense and enchanted with agi or defense :P )
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Selinaria » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:29 am

12 defense will be a great boost in the short and long term given that keeping uncrittable is now at least mildly challenging :wink: .
Last edited by Selinaria on Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Selinaria was suddenly surrounded by a gang of sharks, a cracked bat as her only protection!
Selinaria

Postby ulushnar » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:30 am

Worldie wrote:Plus, as some people know, i'm a avoidance whore anyway (all my tank gear is gemmed with dodge or defense and enchanted with agi or defense :P )

Blizzard don' like your kind 'round here boy! *gets shotgun*

*ahem* I've got a Def/BV gem ready for my Tankatronics in 3.0. As the others have noted, the extra defense alone is worth it, but the BV is icing on the delicious cake.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Worldie » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:31 am

Actually Ulush it's very good that i gemmed like that, since that will allow me to keep my gear longer than i'd do if i was gemmed stamina.

Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Selinaria » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:32 am

Worldie got ya there Ulush :wink:

All the stam lovers are going to have to at least somewhat look over their gear in the days and weeks ahead and moving forward into Wrath.
Selinaria was suddenly surrounded by a gang of sharks, a cracked bat as her only protection!
Selinaria

Postby ulushnar » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:39 am

Worldie wrote:Actually Ulush it's very good that i gemmed like that, since that will allow me to keep my gear longer than i'd do if i was gemmed stamina.

And I don't recall disagreeing with you there. It's just Blizz that dislikes avoidance tanks.

(Hmm, they've removed Sanctity Aura and are implementing DR on Avoidance. We should just call 3.0 the "anti-Worldie" patch! ;))
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Worldie » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:41 am

I'm preparing a R.i.P. topic for SA when 3.0 comes out :(

Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Cowadin » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:43 am

Ulushnar wrote:
Worldie wrote:Actually Ulush it's very good that i gemmed like that, since that will allow me to keep my gear longer than i'd do if i was gemmed stamina.

And I don't recall disagreeing with you there. It's just Blizz that dislikes avoidance tanks.

(Hmm, they've removed Sanctity Aura and are implementing DR on Avoidance. We should just call 3.0 the "anti-Worldie" patch! ;))

i noticed the DR on avoidance thing in my interface when I was comparing how my stats will be when patch hits. could i get pointed to a thread that this was talked about (as I'm assuming I missed it)... or a brief explanation of what exactly that means? (first thought that came to my mind is druids with 60% dodge are gonna get fisted and only be able to have 40% reasonbly or something..)

-cow

Tankadin. Pew Pew.
Cowadin

Postby Worldie » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:45 am

Druids DR is lower than war-pala-dk one.

Making it simple, DR doesn't really do much until you are over 25% of a stat.

I passed from 34% dodge to about 31% on the PTR, and Moroes pocket watch at that level gives barely 9% dodge <.<

Worldie
Global Mod

Next

Return to WotLK