Remove Advertisements

Drop Alchemy for what?

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Drop Alchemy for what?

Postby Ashmadai » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:40 pm

I used to be Mining/Engineering but I dropped Mining and said screw it and powerlevelled Alchemy. I loved Alchemy for a while, but I'm not too pumped about the perks in WotLK. Longer duration on Elixirs/Flasks is nice and all, but I can just get twice as many, and +25% effect just doesn't get me too excited. So I'm thinking about dropping Alchemy and levelling another profession to 350 before WotLK comes out.

My question is what should I go for? I was thinking about doing enchanting just because it's so nice to be able to shard and I could PL it fairly easily by just smoking instances and gathering my own mats that way.

JC also seems to be a decent option, because of the moneymaking capability and the extra epic gems.

Lastly, I could just go back to Mining like I used to be so I could fund my own Engineering. Now that I have an epic flyer(I didn't when I dropped it), it wouldn't be so painful to go around gathering ore.

I'm just looking for people's input to help sway me in a direction. I know the benefits of all the professions in WotLK, I'm just looking for input.
Ashmadai

Postby Rhî » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:51 pm

Flask gives +50% effect and +100% duration.

For a tank +975 health instead of +650 healt and 4 hour duration, instead of 2 hours sounds not that bad.

Maybe you are not getting the best +stats, but to be honest +325 health and 50% less farming sounds not too bad.
Rhî

Postby Ashmadai » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:55 pm

This is true, but I don't farm mats for flasks anyway. My wife is an alchemist/herbalist who can make me any flasks/elixirs I want, which is another reason I'm thinking about dropping Alchemy. Part of it is just me getting bored and wanting to do something new and different too. I'm leaning towards JC or Enchanting I think.
Ashmadai

Postby Antagonist » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:27 pm

Whatever you choose, my advice to you is to hold alchemy until about a week or so before Wrath launches. Mad alch pots are handy and there's no reason not to keep using your Xmute cooldowns or whatever.

With about a week to go (or, whenever you have free time before wrath ships), powerlevel your choice of gathering profession. Skinning, Mining, Herbalism, all valid here. That way, you have a GATHERING profession to level to 80 with, and can make the most of the most concentrated time you'll be spending questing, exploring, and generally moving aorund the world killing mobs, in your WOTLK career. Also, you'll have early dibs on those rare and surely expensive northrend mats to hoard them for whatever you DO powerlevel and use at 80 for it's perks.

The exception to this advice is if you choose enchanting, as enchanting while levelling IS effectively a gathering prof with all the quest rewards you get to DE.
Antagonist

Postby aycha » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:46 pm

Acording to this post in EJ.com http://elitistjerks.com/f15/t29288-wotl ... post904932

I think BS/Minning is the way to go, at least till 80 when you could drop minning for something else. BS is painfull enough to level if you're not a miner too, and 500 extra hp is nice.
aycha

Postby Ashmadai » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:46 pm

Definitely good advice. I've decided to go with enchanting. I'm going to go ahead and drop alchemy and level enchanting now, so I can use enchanting to DE quest rewards and such as I'm levelling in Northrend. When I think about it, I always remember why I won't take up mining again. One, I want the ring enchants. =) But also, I can do dailies or farm primals or whatever and buy ore just as fast as I could mine it and I don't have to compete with other people then.
Ashmadai

Postby aycha » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:47 pm

Acording to this post in EJ.com http://elitistjerks.com/f15/t29288-wotl ... post904932

I think BS/Minning is the way to go, at least till 80 when you could drop minning for something else. BS is painfull enough to level if you're not a miner too, and 500 extra hp is nice.
aycha

Postby Pizbit » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:24 pm

WTF they removed the extra major glyph for inscriptions according to that :(
I have ADHD and OCD...I keep forgetting to wash my hands.
Pizbit

Postby Ashmadai » Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:47 pm

They sure did. Now Inscriptionists just get more potent shoulder enchants than the ones you can get from rep.
Ashmadai

Postby ScribeShanky » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:04 pm

Ashmadai wrote:They sure did. Now Inscriptionists just get more potent shoulder enchants than the ones you can get from rep.

Scribes. SCRIBES.

-_-
I just love it when a good keikaku comes together.
ScribeShanky

Postby Ashmadai » Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:12 am

ROFL, is that the proper term for it? I honestly have no idea, since this new profession is the first time I've really used the word in that context. =P College has failed me. :D
Ashmadai

Postby Kuripari » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:20 am

ScribeShanky wrote:
Ashmadai wrote:They sure did. Now Inscriptionists just get more potent shoulder enchants than the ones you can get from rep.

Scribes. SCRIBES.

-_-

Scrivener!! 0.o
Kuripari - Skywall US Horde
Kuripari

Return to WotLK