Three tanking weapons from one quest!

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Rasmfrackn » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:08 am

They seem to have the same budget, even if the sword is labeled green. It does hose its dps, though.

Sword is 25/39/16/18
Mace is 26/39/15/19

Nearly identical... they just pushed the wrong quality button. :)
Rasmfrackn
Dwarf Paladin
Icecrown Server
Eng/Scribe/Masochist
Rasmfrackn

Postby fiorina » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:18 am

Axe, the most defense. Good luck hiting 540 without it.
fiorina
Maintankadonor

Postby kurros » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:22 am

I'd be surprised if those quest rewards remain unchanged into live. Seems silly to have 3 slightly different tanking weapons as a reward from the same quest, even odder that one of them is green when all the other rewards are blue.
Anyway, lets just agree to disagree. Go away, or I'll just start reporting you to the mods for being a troll. In exchange, I'll stop pointing out your stupid in public.
kurros

Postby econ21 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:25 am

Rasmfrackn wrote:Nearly identical... they just pushed the wrong quality button. :)

It's very odd that one is green (and 3/4 are tanking). But surely dps should be part of the item level? Point for point, it is the most important - even for us in 3.0. The sword is as inferior as its colour implies, IMO.
econ21

Re: Three tanking weapons from one quest!

Postby Kellann » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:31 am

Laeral wrote:I just picked up Wanted: Ragemane's Flipper in Zul'Drak, and I see that it has three quest rewards that are potential tanking weapons!

Sword of Heartwrenching Slaughter
Crescent of Brooding Fury
Hammer of Quiet Mourning

I'm thinking the hammer would be the best choice of the three, with defense and dodge, but the sword's dodge and parry sounds nice too. What does everyone think?

Why is the sword green & lower iLvL? Mislink?
Kellann - Uther
Kellann

Postby Rasmfrackn » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:37 am

econ21 wrote:
Rasmfrackn wrote:Nearly identical... they just pushed the wrong quality button. :)

It's very odd that one is green (and 3/4 are tanking). But surely dps should be part of the item level? Point for point, it is the most important - even for us in 3.0. The sword is as inferior as its colour implies, IMO.

Right, apparently the dps is derived from the ilvl+quality, but stats are hand-placed. That's how you can get some gear that's way over or under budget... they're done by humans.

The actual stats and ratings on the two are nearly identical in terms of cost. There's no way a green of the same ilvl as a blue would be that close in terms of stats. They've apparently been itemized equivalently in terms of budget, but the sword got mis-flagged as green and so its dps is lower.
Rasmfrackn
Dwarf Paladin
Icecrown Server
Eng/Scribe/Masochist
Rasmfrackn

Postby Origon » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:46 am

fiorina wrote:Axe, the most defense. Good luck hiting 540 without it.

It's a lvl 75 quest, requires 74 to take up. You're bound to get something better by 80, there's drops that are better. At the level the gear is intended for, the crit cap isn't 540 defense, its lower. That combined with the fact that "any tanking class can tank a normal instance, even offspecced" means you dont necesarilly need to be uncrittable
Origon

Postby Fridmarr » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:05 am

Origon wrote:
fiorina wrote:Axe, the most defense. Good luck hiting 540 without it.

It's a lvl 75 quest, requires 74 to take up. You're bound to get something better by 80, there's drops that are better. At the level the gear is intended for, the crit cap isn't 540 defense, its lower. That combined with the fact that "any tanking class can tank a normal instance, even offspecced" means you dont necesarilly need to be uncrittable

Getting uncrittable doesn't happen automatically, but I'm there with no Naxx gear and only about half of my stuff enchanted. You definitely have to pay attention to it, but with just 5man/heroic and crafted gear you can get there.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Origon » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:18 am

I'm not saying you dont, simply that it doesnt matter as much pre-80 for tanking, and for naxx there are better weapons available from regular and heroic runs so a level 75 quest item would get replaced very likely by then
Origon

Postby sherck » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:25 am

Honorshammer wrote:I'm a Dwarf, I'll take the Mace because of my Expertise racial.

Really? You are a Dwarf? I wondered what that was under my boot as I was walking around Shatt!!

Ahhh...the TALL, good looks of a Blood Elf....Nothing else like it!!

Cheers,
sherck

Postby honorshammer » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:15 pm

sherck wrote:
Honorshammer wrote:I'm a Dwarf, I'll take the Mace because of my Expertise racial.

Really? You are a Dwarf? I wondered what that was under my boot as I was walking around Shatt!!

Cheers,

Must have been while you were looking for someone to do your nails.
honorshammer

Postby Elsie » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:19 pm

Honorshammer wrote:
sherck wrote:

Cheers,

Must have been while you were looking for someone to do your nails.

Split nails are totally -1% to hit. Like, omigawd, every1 knows that.
Elsie

Postby lusisia » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:37 pm

kurros wrote:I'd be surprised if those quest rewards remain unchanged into live. Seems silly to have 3 slightly different tanking weapons as a reward from the same quest, even odder that one of them is green when all the other rewards are blue.

Not really. It's only one quest. You don't HAVE to do it and I don't think it leads to anything else.

I was actually annoyed by the LACK of anything remotely useful for tanking (except for the odd +hit plate now and then) as quest rewards. Once you got into Sholazar Basin and Icecrown, though, there were some pretty nice rewards for tanks.

So, considering the fact that EVERY other quest offered useless off-spec gear for me, it was nice to see one little quest that gave me something to use.
"then somehow people manage not to see the forty fucking foot tall of fucking fiery flames of fucking doom ... and we wipe." - Isolfr
"It turns out that a large number of people are whiny motherfuckers ..." - PsiVen
lusisia
Maintankadonor

Postby Kathane » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:18 pm

lusisia wrote:I was actually annoyed by the LACK of anything remotely useful for tanking (except for the odd +hit plate now and then) as quest rewards. Once you got into Sholazar Basin and Icecrown, though, there were some pretty nice rewards for tanks.

^ This

Number of tanking drops in both starting instances: 0

Number of non-haste plate quest rewards in the starting area: Pretty much only the ones with spell power :lol:

Number of tanky weapon quest rewards: 1, mebbe 2
"What's the kill order?"
"This room, the next room, the hallway, and then the boss."
*throws shield*

Kathane

Postby Zumor » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:27 pm

I searched for tankweapons on wowhead once and found that quest as well, but when I did it all rewards were blue, they fixed it

while questing you dont get many def Items, only green ones,
but you can craft with 70 green tankitems, around lvl 75 a full set of Blue tankitems, with 80 3epics, Shield Boots and Head, that should be enough

around lvl 78 or higher you can get defweapons better than the Tankweapon of Lurker in SSC (halls of lightning, Icecrown Quest)
Heroic Utgarde Pinnacle drops a AWSOME Tanksword,
http://wotlk.wowhead.com/?item=37401
Zumor

PreviousNext

Return to WotLK