quick question: do we need crit rating in WotLK?

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby majiben » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:07 am

Papewaio wrote:At 70:

16 hit rating = 1% hit
22 crit rating = 1% crit
7.84 expertise rating = 2 expertise = 0.5% reduction each in parry/dodge

Assuming crits are at 100% bonus damage (which isn't the case for spells), hit rating gives you more threat per point than crit does. This goes double for expertise and attacks it affects.

Plus, at the same average threat gain, expertise and hit are strictly better than crit since you get the same threat but in a smoother fashion.

Only dps classes want crit because they have special effects that proc on crits, and are often at least partially hit-capped (melee on specials, casters on everything), so hit rating doesn't provide as much (or any) benefit.

This is slightly misleading (just slightly) in that 1 hit rating =/= 1 expertise rating in terms of ilevel budget. Hypothetically if you could get 20 crit rating for every 10 hit rating then crit would be 50% for threat assuming double damage on crits. Of course hit and crit share the same budget per rating but I belive expertise is more expensive than hit.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Papewaio » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:25 am

I was under the impression that the whole point of there being ratings is that the ratings themselves are normalized as 1 stat point = 1 rating point in cost, for all stats and ratings (with sta being 2/3 of a stat point since TBC itemization). That's why different ratings have different conversions to begin with.

EDIT: Wowwiki (as authorative as that is, hehe) agrees with my statement
Papewaio

Postby majiben » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:38 am

I stand corrected :-D
Makes you wonder about how good some BR gear could be if it was all converted to defense and dodge. In this case expertise rating is strictly better than hit for threat generation before dodge is pushed off the boss's combat table.
majiben

Postby econ21 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:48 am

Majiben wrote:In this case expertise rating is strictly better than hit for threat generation before dodge is pushed off the boss's combat table.

Except that PsiVen's weapon's spreadsheet does not corroborate this. When I queried him on it, he said it maybe because ShoR can't be dodged or parried. Still early days yet, so take it with a pinch of salt...

Makes you wonder about how good some BR gear could be if it was all converted to defense and dodge.

But didn't you say that BR was going to be exempt from diminishing returns? If so, that may help balance things out.

The more I read about stats and itemlevels, the more I am inclined to trust Blizzard and judge gear by its level (provided all stats are tanking ones).
econ21

Postby Papewaio » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:49 am

If you note the table I posted, I showed that 22 crit = 16 hit = 8 expertise (which is 2 expertise skill or 0.5% each of parry and dodge reduction)
Papewaio

Postby majiben » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:58 am

econ21 wrote:
Majiben wrote:In this case expertise rating is strictly better than hit for threat generation before dodge is pushed off the boss's combat table.

Except that PsiVen's weapon's spreadsheet does not corroborate this. When I queried him on it, he said it maybe because ShoR can't be dodged or parried. Still early days yet, so take it with a pinch of salt...
Don't forget that expertise has both the advantage of being cheaper and reducing average damage intake. Prehaps calling it the better threat stat was wrong but it certainly is the better tanking stat.

econ21 wrote:
Makes you wonder about how good some BR gear could be if it was all converted to defense and dodge.

But didn't you say that BR was going to be exempt from diminishing returns? If so, that may help balance things out.
I was speaking about pre3.0. Just imagine blue's boots with defense in place of BR or the BR echant being defense.
majiben

Re: quick question: do we need crit rating in WotLK?

Postby Taras » Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:07 am

Honorshammer wrote:Okay, my Warrior is only a baby level 57 atm, but aren't Warriors in a Tanking situation basically in an endless rage situation which is why they try to dump with Heroic Strike?

Even on Teron Gorefiend, a string of dodges at the wrong time with one too many heroic strikes can feel like a cartoon character running off a cliff and noticing the ground got pulled out from under him.

Basically the issue is that yes, we generally refill our rage bars faster than paladins when we're hit, but we have a very low ceiling and our budget is very random.

On lesser bosses, unless you gear down heroic strike might not even be much of an option at all.
Taras

Previous

Return to WotLK