Holy
14%
Prot
43%
Ret
43%

Total votes : 159

Postby Amarant_Pally » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:52 am

To elaborate of my "Will be Prot no matter what" comment...

I think every raiding guild will find it of great value to have at least 1 of every Paladin spec.

Holy

Protection (1 point left-over for 11-point talent?)

Retribution

And look! They all have BoKings, with no glaring problems (Aura Mastery And Imp. Concentration Aura [for the silence duration reduction] are kind of debatable I suppose).

Thus I think all specs will be very popular and guilds will want good players for each. And I'm staying Prot. ;)
Amarant_Pally

Postby Garwin » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:25 am

I still think holy will be the most desired of all teh specs, I feel it can bring a lot to the table both wisdom and kings are within the spec's remit (hell even improved might too if you strech the spec and aim for the extra 8 crit from retri)

it's bringing ranged juidgements and fast fast strong heals

any tank wil do we're being told, prot is still desirable to take the strain out of holy and ret specs and other classes, but no neiche coupled with deathknights joining the ranks means any and all tanks have an equal claim.

retri has a great deal to offer with viable raid dps, buffs/debuffs and mana restoration ( a nerf may or may not be on the cards but untill you know ..you don't know.)

don't get me wrong I'd want a retri and a prot in my raid group as soon as any other spec, but holy for me .. you want at least one.
Garwin

Postby Erendis » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:44 am

I'd agree that Holy will be the most desired spec at the beginning of WotLK at the very least. Holy what people expect pallys to spec and that is what they will look for. The Stigma of prot being bad has just begun to wear off. Ret is still Lolret to most people.

Note there is a difference between most desired and "best"
Erendis
Maintankadonor

Postby Erendis » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:44 am

double post FTL.
Erendis
Maintankadonor

Postby Playdoh » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:27 am

Holy Paladin will be the most desired spec, but the least paladin spec at the same time.

Blizzard did MAJOR overhauls on Protection and Retribution talents AND playstyles.

While they were trying to give holy a couple more things that were feasible, Ret was using those same coefficients, making it OP for Ret. Not having Beacon of Light cast the full heal on the Beacon when the target gets overhealed also NERFED beacon of light to where it would not be USED as much.

Other Healers have always had more utility with their spells, and quite a few healers have already rerolled other healing classes to get that utility.
Playdoh
Maintankadonor

Postby uke » Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:37 am

Erendis wrote:. Ret is still Lolret to most people.

lolret has actually been pretty well accepted recently on my server. Even some of my R/L friends who are raiding in sunwell bring a ret pally just for the utility they provide. They'll have even more utility in 3.0, AND they'll be doing competitive DPS to boot. Minds will change real quick once they see ret pallys fighting for top spots on the damage charts.

That, and those of us ret now are changing minds...one smashed-in face at a time 8)

Conversation I had in General chat in Westfall the other day, when a lvl 70 horde hunter was griefing my baby druid, and I logged into my PVP ret pally to implement justice:

random person: oh hey, that hunter is dead now
me (back on my baby druid): yeah, I logged in on my pally to smack him down, he was annoying me
random person: um, huh? A paladin killed a hunter...how is that possible?
random person 2: um, lolret?
me: yeah, my pally's PVP ret specced in S2 gear, and the hunter kinda sucked. He was kind of scrub
random person: ohhh, cool
uke

Postby honorshammer » Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:42 am

Playdoh wrote:Holy Paladin will be the most desired spec, but the least paladin spec at the same time.

Blizzard did MAJOR overhauls on Protection and Retribution talents AND playstyles.

While they were trying to give holy a couple more things that were feasible, Ret was using those same coefficients, making it OP for Ret. Not having Beacon of Light cast the full heal on the Beacon when the target gets overhealed also NERFED beacon of light to where it would not be USED as much.

Other Healers have always had more utility with their spells, and quite a few healers have already rerolled other healing classes to get that utility.

This is probably my biggest worry for Paladins and Druids of the non Healing variety.

"Well Warrior/DK CAN'T heal. The run won't happen unless you DO."
honorshammer

Postby Macha » Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:52 am

A holypaladin that specs into kings, like every good Holy Paladin will.
Macha

Postby uke » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:18 am

Honorshammer wrote:
This is probably my biggest worry for Paladins and Druids of the non Healing variety.

"Well Warrior/DK CAN'T heal. The run won't happen unless you DO."

My guild knows better than to do that, as my response would be "well, guess this run isn't happening, then"
uke

Postby dmok » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:22 am

Macha wrote:A holypaladin that specs into kings, like every good Holy Paladin will.

I thought the concensus is that holydins will be pushing for sanctified seals and not kings, leaving ret and prot as your most likely source of kings in raids.

and I think at the start of LK, prot/holy will be about even in most desired. People still remember prot pallys as fantastic 5man tanks, and everyone needs healers ....
There ain't no pirate like a Mead Hall Pirate

Mead Hall Pirates - The Scryers US
Dmor: 80 Prot Paladin | Dmok: 80 MM Hunter | Dmos: 80 Disc Priest | Dmoz: 80 Unholy DK
dmok

Postby Nalyn » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:27 am

I think a paladin of each spec will likely be wanted, each spec has some pretty unique abilities to bring to the table, but at this point I'm thinking that a GOOD ret pally will be in demand by almost every raiding guild, good being very key to that statement.
Nalyn

Postby Stilgarr » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:43 am

At the start of Wrath it will most likley be tanks that are the most needed.

In the 25's now you roll with max of 3-4 tanks 6-7+ healers and the rest dps. Split that down to 5 mans and you 1-2 tanks short ;) not counting the guys in guild that dont raid but do instance that also outnumber the tanks 3/1.

I'm happy as atm I'm the only full time Prot Pally in the guild. Only have 1 Ret too who has been on a break for ages so thats been picked as my off spec :)
Stilgarr

Postby Levantine » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:46 am

I highly doubt that tanks will be in high demand after the change. I'd say it'll be healers, to be honest. DPS will still be a dime a dozen, except on my server, where everyone is Resto or Holy, since my server is fucking bizarre.
Levantine

Postby Helpunot » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:58 am

Main spec= Prot, my guild knows better than to ever think about asking me to respec holy. Besides we are having muru farm us atm, and at that level of content with me not having healed since karazan except for the flash spamming cuz I am in on every fight but brut I would blow as a healer. My offspec for wotlk? RET, whether I'm tanking, or DPSing, I just like to 'in the mix' and I really do hate healing for anything longer than 1 fight, was always way too boring for me. I have much love and respect for my holy paladins though, I don't know how they can handle the what for me is boredom.
Helpunot

Postby Sabindeus » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:09 am

The canonical new Holy spec is 51/0/20, so no Kings.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

PreviousNext

Return to WotLK