Holy
14%
Prot
43%
Ret
43%

Total votes : 159

Postby Helpunot » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:15 am

Every spec I have tried as prot ends up with no kings..... We have 1 ret pally who isn't always around, what are we going to do about this? The prot tree is still too bloated, I find myself spending every skill point to keep my mitigation high, and have no extra 5 points for anything, ESPECIALLY at 70.......
Helpunot

Postby kurros » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:20 am

Best paladin spec will be 24/23/24.
Anyway, lets just agree to disagree. Go away, or I'll just start reporting you to the mods for being a troll. In exchange, I'll stop pointing out your stupid in public.
kurros

Postby Extermi » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:38 am

My take is ret. They are the mana battery (you need them in each raid), have the points to spec SDK (more difficult to get for Holy and Prot) and thus bring the arguably best buff of the game, heal the melee pack with divine storm and are great as emergency (pick healer shield & mace when healer is down, pick shield and taunt that loose ads from the mage). That together with competetive DPS will bring Ret into raids.

Now, at least I hope so. Since the DPS warriors in my raid are so enthusiastic about their Prot tree we will most likely switch roles :-)

Extermi
Extermi

Postby Elsie » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:20 am

My bet's ret for raiding. Barring a judgement debuff (all paladins will be judging something)..
you have Hand of Salvation, Replenishment, 3% haste, 3% crit, 2% damage, kings or imp bom, ret aura for tanks, and some minor self-sustaining healing abilities (encounter dependent).

The vast array of buffs makes you a relatively good source for them, and an "all-in-one" back up in case someone else supplying the buff dies.

Now, healers will always be in demand. Nothing will ever change there. But in terms of "desirability" I think ret wins out.
Elsie

Postby Barinath » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:38 am

Most wanted? Holy, always. Healers are hard to find, and when you do find one, a guild leader will bend over backwards to help them stay put.

In my circle of friends? Prot, they love me prot, they want me prot, and a few have even said if I spec anything but prot, they will level a tank so they can have a tank for runs. Good thing I like the changes to Protection >.>
As I live, I shall defend, protect, and save as many lives as I can.
Barinath

Postby daemonym » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:57 am

Barinath wrote:Most wanted? Holy, always. Healers are hard to find, and when you do find one, a guild leader will bend over backwards to help them stay put.

In my circle of friends? Prot, they love me prot, they want me prot, and a few have even said if I spec anything but prot, they will level a tank so they can have a tank for runs. Good thing I like the changes to Protection >.>

same here. this was proven jsut a few days ago. friends were on before i got home from work and decided to do a heroic SP run. wiped a few times before the first boss. and again later on the next day they tried slabs and wiped several times in the first room! then i get on for our off raid nights and spec ret to have some fun and do some heroics i hate to tank and guess what? an hour later we have healer, 3 dps...not a single tank.

i sigh and respec back to prot. also i'm the only reliable tankadin in my guild so i'll be rather desired -i hope- and i'll most likely be taking kings as well since most others won't, i can almost guarantee it.
Again. What grim vision this? Blood stained tomb, beer cans, and piss. This. Is no life...for a god.

Stokpile/Zurathustra of Ysera-US, Horde
Makin the WoW gold blog http://theahpile.blogspot.com/
I have 2 million gold. http://theahpile.blogspot.com/2011/05/i-have-2-million-gold.html
Total as of 5-3-11: 2,064,000g
daemonym

Postby Nakati » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:17 pm

I a perfect world it would be one of each. :p

I am guessing holy and prot will be most sougth after simply cause tanks and healers are always in demand, and there will be so many ret paladins around that theres not room for all of them anyway. :roll:
Nakati

Postby Florismart » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:40 pm

In an ideal world, its ret, since ret has enough points to get Kings, and Imp Might. But in a less ideal world, you take whoever you can get.

Its a messy thing. Our guild is currently stacked with Paladins. A shortage of healers make overrecruiting healer classes less ideal for raid balance. We currently have 3 Paladins at least in each raid that breaks down to 2/1/0 for the specs because of our lack of healers. Once the patch hits, one of them will hit up ret, which would give us 1/1/1. However, we have 3 other paladins that are semi active, and that would give us some weird combination of specs. I swear, our last Hyjal raid, we had 6 Paladins, and it broke down to 4/1/1 in specs.

So the current break down come patch 3.0 would be 3/2/1 in Paladin specs, including me. All 6 of us can play very well and all of us are very good in our specs. So we'll probably start taking whatever spec as long as we have healers.
Florismart - Shield Tank
Karenthil - Face Tank/Cat Scratcher
Inoichi - Meat Cleaver
Florismart

Postby Mishdorf » Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:47 pm

Hmmm interesting results so far. I'm surprised that prot is so high, since the only utility that prot provides over the other tanks is bosanc (which probably needs a nerfing or at least another class source other than grace).

It is really going to be difficult for raids to get enough paladins as all 25 man raids IMO should be running with at least one of each spec.

And to the person who said that anyone bringing a dps warrior wouldn't use imp bom... I can see your point, but I think a lot of raids will still like the extra duration of the paladin blessing.

"mana efficiency is for people who aren't tanking enough mobs" - Knaughty
Mishdorf

Postby knaughty » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:54 pm

I still tend to think that the perfect raid makeup with respect to paladins is.

One of Each.

Ret & Prot both specced Kings, Holy specced 51/0/20, with Imp Might & Imp Wis but no Kings.

º Three improved Auras FTW.
º Three Blessings, all improved.

• Prot is a competitive member of the tanking team, and Sanctuary is nice to have even if you have a Disc Priest.
• Ret provide a freaking ton of raid-wide utility and solid DPS.
• Holy provides "3rd blessing/aura", and can be a relatively OP MT healer.

I'd probably rate Holy as the weakest paladin spec, and probably the worst healing spec to stack multiple copies of, but healers are in high demand, so it's very easy to fit a single Holy paladin in. Holy is also one of the healing specs that provides the biggest boost for getting the first one in, probably equal first with Shaman.
This isn't the "Offtankadin" forum. My MoP FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/FAQ-5-0
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Location: Sydney, plotting my next diatribe against the forces of ignorance!

Previous

Return to WotLK