Hammer of the Righteous question

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Hammer of the Righteous question

Postby Flipthebird » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:08 pm

Tanking talents

Hammer of the Righteous - 51 pt Prot talent. Hits the current target and 2 additional targets for 4 times your main hand damage per second as Holy damage. 6 sec CD, very low mana cost. Usable while silinced, and is based on weapon DPS and character sheet AP This will allow paladins to use 1H DPS weapons (WTB Muramasa.. hope rogues won't rape me ).

I got that quote from the wonderful sticky ^^ up thar...

I was wondering if 'weapon twisting' will be a viable option when using that talent. Like, switch to high dps two-hander --> HotR --> Switch back to sword and shield.

Now, iirc switching out gear triggers a gcd. So, it would be pull out 2-hander --1.5 sec.-- HotR -- pull out sword and board --1.5 sec-- 4.5 sec of other stuff -- repeat.

After writing this, I'm thinking it will be too much of a hassle to do it continuously, but maybe as a quick threat booster? I know nothing really about theory, so this whole thing could just a total noob idea. Flame away if necessary. :D
So Hitler was a vegatarian, and a painter.

He must of been like, 'Ahh I can't get the fricken trees...DAMN I will kill EVERYBODY in the world!"

-Eddie Izzard
Flipthebird

Postby Eaglestrike » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:10 pm

Requires a one-handed weapon.
Eaglestrike

Postby guillex » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:10 pm

What's quick about wasting 3 seconds that you could be tossing AS/Judging/Consecrating/HotRing?
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby fizikz » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:11 pm

even if it didnt, 3 gcd's for not that much threat gain would be a threat loss considering how tight our rotation is.
Sexual Harassment is the new Purple.
-Vanifae
fizikz

Postby Rasmfrackn » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:18 pm

You know... letting us use HotR with a 2H would be pretty nice for contributing DPS and maybe soloing in some situations.

It would've been OP using the normal instant attack normalizations... but now it doesn't. It's a DPS normalization, and AP dps is AP dps, so it would just be the difference between 156 dps and 203 dps (for ilvl 213), or 188 per hit. Not huge, not overpowered, but respectable.

Eh?

-- Meh. Precluding ShoR is probably not going to help our dps.
Rasmfrackn
Dwarf Paladin
Icecrown Server
Eng/Scribe/Masochist
Rasmfrackn

Postby Ashmadai » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:19 pm

Number one, the wasted GCD would vastly outweight the benefits of doing this. Number two, HotR cannot be used while wielding a two hander.
Ashmadai

Postby Flipthebird » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:20 pm

Eaglestrike wrote:Requires a one-handed weapon.

Researching: 1
Flipthebird: 0

And, yeah...I was thinking the same thing, Guillex and fizikz. I was just checking with people smarter than me.

Thanks!
So Hitler was a vegatarian, and a painter.

He must of been like, 'Ahh I can't get the fricken trees...DAMN I will kill EVERYBODY in the world!"

-Eddie Izzard
Flipthebird

Postby Splug » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:25 pm

Rasm - the damage gain would probably be lower than what you'd lose by not having access to shield of righteousness, even if hammer is hitting multiple targets. While you would spend less mana due to not having to cast shield, you'd also lose out on mana gains from blocking with BoSanc up, not to mention the additional healing demands. Overall, soloing/dps'ing with a 1h/shield is probably going to yield better damage, and if you're getting hit back it will also yield better mana throughput. There may be an argument for 2h dps over long encounters if divine plea is not enough recharge to cover shield of righteousness as well, but beyond that it would favor sword-and-board even if the weapon requirement were lifted.

Flip - You not only incur a global cooldown, but you also reset your weapon swing timer. And on the timeline of equip 2h -> hammer -> equip 1h, you'd actually never autoattack with the 2h, costing you white damage, a seal hit, and the two global cooldowns. Not worth it, even if it did work.

-Splug
Active raid character: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... an&n=Spyte
255 characters is not enough to fit my alts' armories in.
Splug
Maintankadonor

Postby Sonic » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:53 pm

ShoR is the partner to HotR. You are technically dual weilding. >.> Why waste a GCD when you can just crunch your sheild into the mob also?
Sonic

Return to WotLK