Remove Advertisements

International Versions of WOTLK

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

International Versions of WOTLK

Postby Palifax » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:59 am

This may be a better question for a Blue in the main WOW forums, unfortunately , I'm one of those Websense handicap internet users :P

But maybe one of you knowledgeable Tankadins can help me with an anwer!

My Vanilla WOW and BC, are American versions , I was living in the US when they came out, and I obviously bought them over there, but recently because of my job, I had to move to Mexico City, They do sell the Latin American versions of the 2 first games in here, and they will sell the Latin American version of WOTLK on Nov 13 in a few stores down here. My question is:

Are the "international" versions of the WOTLK compatible with the American version? do they have language packages that we can choose from or any other mechanisms?

I already pre-ordered one American copy from Ebgames just as a back up plan just in case its not compatible, however its going to take like 5 to 7 days for it to ship.... and the only thing I can think of, its all those days wasted waiting for my copy to arrive here while all my guild is already 80 in 7 days. :(

so any thoughts or Ideas?
“My comrades are my weapons and I am their shield”
Palifax

Postby Playdoh » Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:10 am

This is a very common question on the WoW forums and the answer is NO. The versions are not compatible.

If you have toons on the American Servers and buy the Latin American Client and KEY it will not recognize that you have a WoW account.

Remember when you upgraded from Vanilla WoW to TBC, Blizzard had you go into your account and upgrade your account online. That is the main part that is not compatible.

If WoW client is already installed on the Computer and you have already upgraded your toon online there is a file that you can change to point to the american/EU servers, but the account already has to be setup.
Playdoh
Maintankadonor

Postby Palifax » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:02 pm

thanks for the response

oh well... , I guess my only option right now is Ebgames... no idea why they take so long to ship a small package down here. I mean , come on ! 7 days...

I'm hoping one of the stores in here will have also the American version.. but i highly doubt that....

kindda of a sad and frustrating situation really .

:evil:
Palifax

Postby fiorina » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:15 pm

There is nothing like International version of WoW.

There is EU account for example. You can play with EU account on Russian realms for instance but you can't play on EU realms with account bought in Russia. Its similar with Spanish version, since there was no Spanish/German version at the beginning of WoW.
How it is for French version which I guess was there since day 0, I don't know. You have to install language pack or use national client to play too.

There is US account also. You can use EU client, but cannot play on EU servers and vice-versa. Now, is there something like Latin-American servers? I guess similar logic applies as for EU account, but there could be different history...

Don't wanna start with China/Taiwan/Korea versions since its a mess too.
fiorina
Maintankadonor

Postby Palifax » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:45 pm

What about , downloading the American Client from Blizz??

Anyone knows if they are going to open servers for full WOTLK downloads on release day?

Argg.. for the first time in a loooong time, I hate not being able to check the official forums from here , .. lol
Palifax

Postby Playdoh » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:28 pm

Again you would still need the "KEY" to upgrade your account on the internet or to "unlock" Northrend on your computer. Just upgrading the client will not solve the matter.

But even if Blizzard doesn't have the client for DL usually there are SEVERAL places that you can DL it from.

Have someone buy you a copy and e-mail you the upgrade "KEY" for registration online and DL the client???
Playdoh
Maintankadonor

Postby Makaijin » Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:53 pm

The "key" that comes with the game has to match with the region your account it's registered for it to work. But the client itself is not restricted. Heck in my guild we've got a few members playing on EU servers using the Chinese client (my guild, and myself are Chinese) without much problems.

They still had to buy the EU retail versions for the EU key to make and upgrade their accounts, but after the account is sorted you can goto the Chinese WoW website, download the client, edit the realmlist.wtf file, and you get to play in all it's chinese glory. It's not perfect, stuff like quest text and item tooltips still come up in english, but at least all the menus and options and stuff are in chinese.
Makaijin

Return to WotLK