Remove Advertisements

gem switching?

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Sabindeus » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:44 am

Faeth wrote:
Sabindeus wrote:I'm sorry? Back when I levelled from 1-60, Ret was both the DPS spec and the tanking spec. Nowadays, it's just the best spec for doing damage to monsters. I can't imagine anyone wanting to spend their points in a tree the primary purpose of which is to mitigate damage in order to solo mobs.

If you intend to live in instances for the climb to 80, then more power to you, but I enjoy me some questy plot.

I'll be one of the stubborn people too and level as Prot (most likely). And i'll do this not at the expense of quests and storylines. I've been doing fine as prot levelling from doing quests from level 31 to 70, so with the new talents it should be a breeze.

- I like to AoE grind mobs
- I like to tank instances whenever required
- I like to easily handle whatever mini quest boss will cross my path
- I like survivability
- I like prot :P

I agree with all of those points except I'd put - I like Ret :P at the end

Since Ret does in fact have all of those things now, and also kills single targets with a fiery vengeance.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Eender » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:49 am

Lumenos wrote:I don't think lvling as prot will be very difficult from a world pvp perspective. We are much better equipped to handle pvp with all our changes than we are currently on live. Granted, i'm in high avoidance sunwell/bt gear on ptr, but i've won 90% of all duels against melee classes on the ptr, even pre-nerf ret pallies. Casters are a bit of a different story and a bit harder to handle, but manageable. I would suspect if you're running around in sunwell prot gear, particularly in the lvl 70-75 range, people will be more likely to just let you be, or quickly learn to accept that they can and will be killed by prot pallies.

You never fought a DK then

Samsonite! Man, I was way off...
Eender

Postby Chunes » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:50 am

Sabindeus wrote:
Faeth wrote:
Sabindeus wrote:I'm sorry? Back when I levelled from 1-60, Ret was both the DPS spec and the tanking spec. Nowadays, it's just the best spec for doing damage to monsters. I can't imagine anyone wanting to spend their points in a tree the primary purpose of which is to mitigate damage in order to solo mobs.

If you intend to live in instances for the climb to 80, then more power to you, but I enjoy me some questy plot.

I'll be one of the stubborn people too and level as Prot (most likely). And i'll do this not at the expense of quests and storylines. I've been doing fine as prot levelling from doing quests from level 31 to 70, so with the new talents it should be a breeze.

- I like survivability

Since Ret does in fact have all of those things now, and also kills single targets with a fiery vengeance.

agreed on all points except the mini-quest bosses. Prot will always dominate in this arena. As ret, my experience is that one's gear has to be pretty darn good to hope for success against minibosses lvl 74 elite and up.

Nothing sucks more than being crit for like 4-5k as ret by a named elite for a quest. Ret is still lolomgcritacular though. I could also just suck at AoW healing, i never realise when it procs...
Chunes

Postby Sabindeus » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:56 am

Chunes wrote:
Sabindeus wrote:
Faeth wrote:

- I like survivability

agreed on all points except the mini-quest bosses. Prot will always dominate in this arena. As ret, my experience is that one's gear has to be pretty darn good to hope for success against minibosses lvl 74 elite and up.

Nothing sucks more than being crit for like 4-5k as ret by a named elite for a quest. Ret is still lolomgcritacular though. I could also just suck at AoW healing, i never realise when it procs...

methinks you suck at both AoW healing and using Seal of Light.

I've also never been crit for 4-5k by any named elite in Northrend. They all tend to hit for around 1k.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Conaan! » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:23 am

Sabindeus wrote:methinks you suck at both AoW healing and using Seal of Light.

I've also never been crit for 4-5k by any named elite in Northrend. They all tend to hit for around 1k.

with STR gems and BV gear id have 1k block value, so other than repairing my shield, leveling would be a cake walk
Lore wrote:JEAPORDY: CREEPY BASEMENT EDITION
Conaan!

Postby lusisia » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:55 am

Elsie wrote:Get ret gear imo.

short answer: You'd be sacrificing so much item level it's probably a moot point. If your gear isn't t6+ then you're replacing it in the entry zones anyway.

Totally false. I didn't start replacing ANYTHING until 75ish. And I'm in ZA/Badge gear at max. Not a single bit of tier gear beyond T4.

EDIT: The stuff I replaced then was my mainhand and a neck. I'm 79 in Icecrown now and still rocking quite a bit of my original gear.
Last edited by lusisia on Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
"then somehow people manage not to see the forty fucking foot tall of fucking fiery flames of fucking doom ... and we wipe." - Isolfr
"It turns out that a large number of people are whiny motherfuckers ..." - PsiVen
lusisia
Maintankadonor

Postby lusisia » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:58 am

Faeth wrote:

- I like survivability

Same here. I've been leveling entirely as prot in the beta because
1 - I want to get comfortable with new mechanics
2 - I *like* prot.
3 - I like to solo quests that are for groups ;)

Do I have more downtime than a ret? Probably but I can still kill reasonably fast. At least enough so that I don't feel like I'm hindering myself.
"then somehow people manage not to see the forty fucking foot tall of fucking fiery flames of fucking doom ... and we wipe." - Isolfr
"It turns out that a large number of people are whiny motherfuckers ..." - PsiVen
lusisia
Maintankadonor

Postby dmok » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:06 pm

lusisia wrote:Totally false. I didn't start replacing ANYTHING until 75ish. And I'm in ZA/Badge gear at max. Not a single bit of tier gear beyond T4.

No offense, but ZA/badge gear is t5/t6 equivalent
There ain't no pirate like a Mead Hall Pirate

Mead Hall Pirates - The Scryers US
Dmor: 80 Prot Paladin | Dmok: 80 MM Hunter | Dmos: 80 Disc Priest | Dmoz: 80 Unholy DK
dmok

Postby lusisia » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:34 pm

dmok wrote:
lusisia wrote:Totally false. I didn't start replacing ANYTHING until 75ish. And I'm in ZA/Badge gear at max. Not a single bit of tier gear beyond T4.

No offense, but ZA/badge gear is t5/t6 equivalent

Fair enough. I would still say that my gear was nothing special. I think the key is that the gear reset is not that big as it evidently was in TBC.
lusisia
Maintankadonor

Previous

Return to WotLK