gem switching?

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Sabindeus » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:46 am

Conaan! wrote:
Snake-Aes wrote:
solina wrote:
Macha wrote:
Sabindeus wrote:Not gonna tell you to do one or the other, but I will say that whatever you choose, it won't make a difference for tanking.

For soloing? More Str is always better, of course. But soloing as Prot is dumb anyway, and I can't imagine why you'd want to do that.


Okay?

What is dumb about leveling to 80 as prot? It's not as fast sure, but so what?


In fact.. would it not be the same as leveling 1-70 as Prot? So long as you can grab > 6 mobs, your kill time per mob exceeds Ret?
Not now that ret has heavy aoe with a better consecration + divine storm. Up to 4 they're faster, over 4 they're at roughly the same pace.

Can you use Divine Storm with a 1hander + shield? If you can, then that's quite awesome for aoe pewpewpew



lol divine storm with a sword and board, truly i dont know, but man the mental image cracked me up.....

http://wotlk.wowhead.com/?spell=53385 IT CAN!


Why is it so funny? I tanked like, every instance up to 80 in my tanking gear as Ret. Divine Storm is win for threat.
Image
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
User avatar
Sabindeus
Moderator
 
Posts: 10475
Joined: Mon May 14, 2007 9:24 am

Postby Sabindeus » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:48 am

Macha wrote:
Sabindeus wrote:Not gonna tell you to do one or the other, but I will say that whatever you choose, it won't make a difference for tanking.

For soloing? More Str is always better, of course. But soloing as Prot is dumb anyway, and I can't imagine why you'd want to do that.


Okay?

What is dumb about leveling to 80 as prot? It's not as fast sure, but so what?


I'm sorry? Back when I levelled from 1-60, Ret was both the DPS spec and the tanking spec. Nowadays, it's just the best spec for doing damage to monsters. I can't imagine anyone wanting to spend their points in a tree the primary purpose of which is to mitigate damage in order to solo mobs.

If you intend to live in instances for the climb to 80, then more power to you, but I enjoy me some questy plot.
Image
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
User avatar
Sabindeus
Moderator
 
Posts: 10475
Joined: Mon May 14, 2007 9:24 am

Postby Conaan! » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:54 am

Sabindeus wrote:
Conaan! wrote:
Snake-Aes wrote:
solina wrote:
Macha wrote:
Sabindeus wrote:Not gonna tell you to do one or the other, but I will say that whatever you choose, it won't make a difference for tanking.

For soloing? More Str is always better, of course. But soloing as Prot is dumb anyway, and I can't imagine why you'd want to do that.


Okay?

What is dumb about leveling to 80 as prot? It's not as fast sure, but so what?


In fact.. would it not be the same as leveling 1-70 as Prot? So long as you can grab > 6 mobs, your kill time per mob exceeds Ret?
Not now that ret has heavy aoe with a better consecration + divine storm. Up to 4 they're faster, over 4 they're at roughly the same pace.

Can you use Divine Storm with a 1hander + shield? If you can, then that's quite awesome for aoe pewpewpew



lol divine storm with a sword and board, truly i dont know, but man the mental image cracked me up.....

http://wotlk.wowhead.com/?spell=53385 IT CAN!


Why is it so funny? I tanked like, every instance up to 80 in my tanking gear as Ret. Divine Storm is win for threat.


because the mental image of divine storm is a big burly guy throwing a holy crusade at 4 enemies all while bandaging himself with his toes, a very manly feat, but with a sword and board! truly takes away the meaning
Image
Lore wrote:JEAPORDY: CREEPY BASEMENT EDITION
User avatar
Conaan!
 
Posts: 1271
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 3:22 pm

Postby Sabindeus » Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:12 am

bandaging himself with his toes????? :O
Image
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
User avatar
Sabindeus
Moderator
 
Posts: 10475
Joined: Mon May 14, 2007 9:24 am

Postby Conaan! » Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:20 am

Sabindeus wrote:bandaging himself with his toes????? :O


where else do you think the healing comes from


multi skilled paladins
Image
Lore wrote:JEAPORDY: CREEPY BASEMENT EDITION
User avatar
Conaan!
 
Posts: 1271
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 3:22 pm

Postby Elsie » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:44 pm

Conaan! wrote:thats already been shown to be false, ZA gear is t5 equivalent, so it wont be replaced till lvl 75+

the question is, to smooth leveling as prot (and only prot), also to speed up regular instances (of which i prefer to do with every chance i get), should i gem unwavering with 10 str or stick with stam gems, would the str even make a noticeable difference

75 is like, the second zone last I played beta. Not exactly Icecrown.

And it's still true you're sacrificing item value for a regem. Unless you're willing to examine all pieces and when they upgrade as well as the cost of downgrading for a different gem set then it's not really worth it.
User avatar
Elsie
 
Posts: 3819
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:12 pm

Postby Chunes » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:52 pm

I wouldn't bother regemming anything if your desire to do so is for leveling. You will be able to easily acquire the new northrend green gems which are all superior to the BC epic gems.

As far as tanking is concerned post 3.0, I still would not regem anything for a "threat set" because threat will essentially be a non-issue with the new mechanics. This may change come lvl 80 when tier sets and crazy levels of stats are taken into account, but i'm thinking even then it won't be the focus like it is now in tanking.
User avatar
Chunes
 
Posts: 2271
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 3:46 pm

Postby Galoheart » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:56 pm

Your current gear should be just good as is. There is absolutely nothing your gonna face up to 75 that will even make you even need better gear. As you will start replacing gear as low as lvl 74 anyway.
Image
http://ardentdefender.blogspot.com/ - My WoW Blog.
"One day my time will come. Until then I continue to prepare myself".
Galoheart
 
Posts: 242
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:11 pm
Location: My Blog!

Postby Faeth » Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:06 pm

Sabindeus wrote:I'm sorry? Back when I levelled from 1-60, Ret was both the DPS spec and the tanking spec. Nowadays, it's just the best spec for doing damage to monsters. I can't imagine anyone wanting to spend their points in a tree the primary purpose of which is to mitigate damage in order to solo mobs.

If you intend to live in instances for the climb to 80, then more power to you, but I enjoy me some questy plot.


I'll be one of the stubborn people too and level as Prot (most likely). And i'll do this not at the expense of quests and storylines. I've been doing fine as prot levelling from doing quests from level 31 to 70, so with the new talents it should be a breeze.

- I like to AoE grind mobs
- I like to tank instances whenever required
- I like to easily handle whatever mini quest boss will cross my path
- I like survivability
- I like prot :P
Image
User avatar
Faeth
 
Posts: 132
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:12 am

Postby Elsie » Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:52 pm

On my server, for leveling ret is more survivable >_>
User avatar
Elsie
 
Posts: 3819
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:12 pm

Postby Selinaria » Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:56 pm

Elsie wrote:On my server, for leveling ret is more survivable >_>


/agree :twisted: I don't start fights on my server but I damn sure finish them.
Selinaria was suddenly surrounded by a gang of sharks, a cracked bat as her only protection!
Image
User avatar
Selinaria
 
Posts: 84
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:55 am
Location: Burlington,Ontario, Canada

Postby Kilthanas » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:01 pm

Yeah those people on PVP servers who aren't wandering around in a 5 man group with their guildies might have to do quite a few graveyard runs if they try and quest prot.

I expect the world PVP to be crazy nasty when the expansion hits. Its one of the reasons I will respec RET to lvl despite lvling from the 30's to 70 as prot.

Speed of killing and lvling, world PVP survivability, and the fact we can still tank as ret spec until heroics are my main reasons for the choice.
Kilthanas
 
Posts: 103
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:18 am

Postby Chunes » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:58 pm

i'm just happy i'm on a carebear server. I think to myself some times when an alliance jacks a quest mob, or steals a node "it could be worse, they could have just skullfucked you and then taken your node."

I always played terribad pvp classes on pvp servers tho, holy priest being one of them.
User avatar
Chunes
 
Posts: 2271
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 3:46 pm

Postby honorshammer » Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:57 am

Kilthanas wrote: expect the world PVP to be crazy nasty when the expansion hits. Its one of the reasons I will respec RET to lvl despite lvling from the 30's to 70 as prot.


Actually on AoS, World PVP wasn't too bad the first couple of weeks as most people just wanted to level up.

I hope that's the case again. If leveling is anything like doing dailies on the Isle De Horde (might be called Quel'Danas on your server), it's going to be a long slow ride.
User avatar
honorshammer
Moderator
 
Posts: 2156
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:35 am
Location: Charleston, SC

Postby Lumenos » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:43 am

I don't think lvling as prot will be very difficult from a world pvp perspective. We are much better equipped to handle pvp with all our changes than we are currently on live. Granted, i'm in high avoidance sunwell/bt gear on ptr, but i've won 90% of all duels against melee classes on the ptr, even pre-nerf ret pallies. Casters are a bit of a different story and a bit harder to handle, but manageable. I would suspect if you're running around in sunwell prot gear, particularly in the lvl 70-75 range, people will be more likely to just let you be, or quickly learn to accept that they can and will be killed by prot pallies.
Lumenos
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:11 pm

PreviousNext

Return to WotLK

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest