gem switching?

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

gem switching?

Postby Conaan! » Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:18 am

so right now my current setup is pure avoidance/EH gear (threat was never an issue when i was MT'ing) and with 3.0 coming up, id thought id grab some "threat" gear, so i regemmed my ZA timer shoulders for double 10 str, and im about to go gem my unwavering legguards with triple 10 str, for threat and for leveling in wotlk, i know the inscribed legplates will be used until 80, but i figured with all the BV and AP im getting from socketing str it will help to level until i find something with some kind of real damage.

so in conclusion, im asking should i bother socketing for STR for leveling or just leave the 15 stam gems sitting in there (remember, this is old gear, i would keep other stuff around for when i tank something heavy).
Image
Lore wrote:JEAPORDY: CREEPY BASEMENT EDITION
User avatar
Conaan!
 
Posts: 1271
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 3:22 pm

Postby Elsie » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:17 am

Get ret gear imo.

short answer: You'd be sacrificing so much item level it's probably a moot point. If your gear isn't t6+ then you're replacing it in the entry zones anyway.
User avatar
Elsie
 
Posts: 3819
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:12 pm

Postby Conaan! » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:33 am

Elsie wrote:Get ret gear imo.

short answer: You'd be sacrificing so much item level it's probably a moot point. If your gear isn't t6+ then you're replacing it in the entry zones anyway.


thats already been shown to be false, ZA gear is t5 equivalent, so it wont be replaced till lvl 75+

the question is, to smooth leveling as prot (and only prot), also to speed up regular instances (of which i prefer to do with every chance i get), should i gem unwavering with 10 str or stick with stam gems, would the str even make a noticeable difference
Image
Lore wrote:JEAPORDY: CREEPY BASEMENT EDITION
User avatar
Conaan!
 
Posts: 1271
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 3:22 pm

Postby Sabindeus » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:36 am

Not gonna tell you to do one or the other, but I will say that whatever you choose, it won't make a difference for tanking.

For soloing? More Str is always better, of course. But soloing as Prot is dumb anyway, and I can't imagine why you'd want to do that.
Image
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
User avatar
Sabindeus
Moderator
 
Posts: 10473
Joined: Mon May 14, 2007 9:24 am

Postby Dianora » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:37 am

Conaan! wrote:
Elsie wrote:Get ret gear imo.

short answer: You'd be sacrificing so much item level it's probably a moot point. If your gear isn't t6+ then you're replacing it in the entry zones anyway.


thats already been shown to be false, ZA gear is t5 equivalent, so it wont be replaced till lvl 75+

the question is, to smooth leveling as prot (and only prot), also to speed up regular instances (of which i prefer to do with every chance i get), should i gem unwavering with 10 str or stick with stam gems, would the str even make a noticeable difference


At 80, I'm still at over 70% TBC T6 gear. Granted, I haven't bother getting the crafted gear for Naxx 2.0 yet, but gear preservation for the top end gear is much better than 1.12 -> TBC.
ImageImageImage
User avatar
Dianora
 
Posts: 1831
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:57 am
Location: Los Angeles

Postby Caelia » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:37 am

Sabindeus wrote:Not gonna tell you to do one or the other, but I will say that whatever you choose, it won't make a difference for tanking.

For soloing? More Str is always better, of course. But soloing as Prot is dumb anyway, and I can't imagine why you'd want to do that.

....i leveled to 70...twice...as prot....mostly solo'd....except maybe a dozen instances along the way...per char.....
In Progress: Fury Warrior: Tailwhip
All Retired: Holy Priest:Appletons | DK Blood Tank: Dreadborne | Prot Paladin: Welsh
User avatar
Caelia
 
Posts: 1130
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:27 am
Location: Calgary

Postby Belloc » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:53 am

Dianora wrote:
Conaan! wrote:
Elsie wrote:Get ret gear imo.

short answer: You'd be sacrificing so much item level it's probably a moot point. If your gear isn't t6+ then you're replacing it in the entry zones anyway.


thats already been shown to be false, ZA gear is t5 equivalent, so it wont be replaced till lvl 75+

the question is, to smooth leveling as prot (and only prot), also to speed up regular instances (of which i prefer to do with every chance i get), should i gem unwavering with 10 str or stick with stam gems, would the str even make a noticeable difference


At 80, I'm still at over 70% TBC T6 gear. Granted, I haven't bother getting the crafted gear for Naxx 2.0 yet, but gear preservation for the top end gear is much better than 1.12 -> TBC.

I, too, am still wearing quite a few of my current items on my level 79 paladin. Noticeable upgrades start coming around 75, as was stated.
User avatar
Belloc
 
Posts: 3195
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:56 pm
Location: Silent Earth

Postby Conaan! » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:07 am

Sabindeus wrote:Not gonna tell you to do one or the other, but I will say that whatever you choose, it won't make a difference for tanking.

For soloing? More Str is always better, of course. But soloing as Prot is dumb anyway, and I can't imagine why you'd want to do that.


its dumb, but i love to do instances as a tank, and better to learn them when they are retardedly easy in the low 70's then in heroic difficulty at 80, plus, SHIELD SLAM TO THE FACE, is something i want to be able to say.

Dianora wrote:At 80, I'm still at over 70% TBC T6 gear. Granted, I haven't bother getting the crafted gear for Naxx 2.0 yet, but gear preservation for the top end gear is much better than 1.12 -> TBC.


only got 2 pieces of t6 level items, but good to know ill use them straight into naxx.



one last thing, warrior 2.4 badge pants or paladin, expertise or no expertise, for leveling and lvl 80 tanking
Image
Lore wrote:JEAPORDY: CREEPY BASEMENT EDITION
User avatar
Conaan!
 
Posts: 1271
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 3:22 pm

Postby Macha » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:09 am

Sabindeus wrote:Not gonna tell you to do one or the other, but I will say that whatever you choose, it won't make a difference for tanking.

For soloing? More Str is always better, of course. But soloing as Prot is dumb anyway, and I can't imagine why you'd want to do that.


Okay?

What is dumb about leveling to 80 as prot? It's not as fast sure, but so what?
Macha
 
Posts: 625
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:50 pm

Postby solina » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:11 am

Macha wrote:
Sabindeus wrote:Not gonna tell you to do one or the other, but I will say that whatever you choose, it won't make a difference for tanking.

For soloing? More Str is always better, of course. But soloing as Prot is dumb anyway, and I can't imagine why you'd want to do that.


Okay?

What is dumb about leveling to 80 as prot? It's not as fast sure, but so what?


In fact.. would it not be the same as leveling 1-70 as Prot? So long as you can grab > 6 mobs, your kill time per mob exceeds Ret?
Image
Image
solina
 
Posts: 374
Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:24 pm

Postby steadypal » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:17 am

WELL


why would u want to stack 10 str gems in the first place?????



keep them enchanted to what you have now, u dont need str until lvl 75 and we get shield slam... if you have 15stam in all, i think u stated that, that will convert to spellpower and thats fine


by the time u hit 75, and u still have gear needing gems, just get the northrend green gems. those are better than current...



so just keep doin what ur doin :P
steadypal
 
Posts: 1206
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:28 pm

Postby Conaan! » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:20 am

solina wrote:
Macha wrote:
Sabindeus wrote:Not gonna tell you to do one or the other, but I will say that whatever you choose, it won't make a difference for tanking.

For soloing? More Str is always better, of course. But soloing as Prot is dumb anyway, and I can't imagine why you'd want to do that.


Okay?

What is dumb about leveling to 80 as prot? It's not as fast sure, but so what?


In fact.. would it not be the same as leveling 1-70 as Prot? So long as you can grab > 6 mobs, your kill time per mob exceeds Ret?


ive heard theres multiple areas for that and with BoS mana return it wont be as difficult as 1-70 in TBC era.

steadpal wrote:WELL


why would u want to stack 10 str gems in the first place?????



keep them enchanted to what you have now, u dont need str until lvl 75 and we get shield slam... if you have 15stam in all, i think u stated that, that will convert to spellpower and thats fine


by the time u hit 75, and u still have gear needing gems, just get the northrend green gems. those are better than current...



so just keep doin what ur doin


really just trying to find some way to boss damage, the BV is just a bonus, but with Hotr being 4x weapon dps, using heartless with alot of str gear i *should* be able to blow through mobs rather fast.

when 3.0 comes out ill run around a bit changing gear sets to find a smooth leveling set
Image
Lore wrote:JEAPORDY: CREEPY BASEMENT EDITION
User avatar
Conaan!
 
Posts: 1271
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 3:22 pm

Postby Snake-Aes » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:21 am

solina wrote:
Macha wrote:
Sabindeus wrote:Not gonna tell you to do one or the other, but I will say that whatever you choose, it won't make a difference for tanking.

For soloing? More Str is always better, of course. But soloing as Prot is dumb anyway, and I can't imagine why you'd want to do that.


Okay?

What is dumb about leveling to 80 as prot? It's not as fast sure, but so what?


In fact.. would it not be the same as leveling 1-70 as Prot? So long as you can grab > 6 mobs, your kill time per mob exceeds Ret?
Not now that ret has heavy aoe with a better consecration + divine storm. Up to 4 they're faster, over 4 they're at roughly the same pace.

Can you use Divine Storm with a 1hander + shield? If you can, then that's quite awesome for aoe pewpewpew
Image
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
User avatar
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 15540
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:15 am
Location: Thorns

Postby Rena » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:23 am

Gemming at 80 getting 540def is sort of a pain its either get blues with defense which is most likely or resocket most of your t6 with def gems.
Rena
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 9:16 am

Postby Conaan! » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:25 am

Snake-Aes wrote:
solina wrote:
Macha wrote:
Sabindeus wrote:Not gonna tell you to do one or the other, but I will say that whatever you choose, it won't make a difference for tanking.

For soloing? More Str is always better, of course. But soloing as Prot is dumb anyway, and I can't imagine why you'd want to do that.


Okay?

What is dumb about leveling to 80 as prot? It's not as fast sure, but so what?


In fact.. would it not be the same as leveling 1-70 as Prot? So long as you can grab > 6 mobs, your kill time per mob exceeds Ret?
Not now that ret has heavy aoe with a better consecration + divine storm. Up to 4 they're faster, over 4 they're at roughly the same pace.

Can you use Divine Storm with a 1hander + shield? If you can, then that's quite awesome for aoe pewpewpew



lol divine storm with a sword and board, truly i dont know, but man the mental image cracked me up.....

http://wotlk.wowhead.com/?spell=53385 IT CAN!
Image
Lore wrote:JEAPORDY: CREEPY BASEMENT EDITION
User avatar
Conaan!
 
Posts: 1271
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 3:22 pm

Next

Return to WotLK

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest