Remove Advertisements

Wotlk Leveling: Prot or Retri?

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Re: Wotlk Leveling: Prot or Retri?

Postby Whimsy » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:00 pm

Prot may be slower at questing, but it has the added advantage of being constantly in-demand for instance runs.

Running instances are a very good way of gaining fast XP, and the gear upgrades also have a big impact on your leveling speed.

So of you enjoy running instances (as I do), then don't worry so much about how fast prot will be in questing. We can easily make up the difference with instances.
Whimsy

Postby Boomtank » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:00 pm

question for max dps
seal of corruption, seal of cammand, or seal of blood?

on multiple targets i realize its corruption because divine storm applies it to up to 4 targets but is it still best against a single target?
Boomtank

Postby Kelaan » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:10 pm

Boomtank wrote:question for max dps

on multiple targets i realize its corruption because divine storm applies it to up to 4 targets but is it still best against a single target?

SoCorruption == SoVengeance, and it was nerfed heavily. They don't want you using it as ret.

SoBlood: I hear peope gib themselves easily.

This means I'll likely use SoCommand, while soloing.
Kelaan

Postby uke » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:13 pm

Boomtank wrote:question for max dps

For general leveling, a target will die too quick for corruption/vengeance to have any real affect. Not sure how it affects raid bosses, though. You might be able to seal twist with it (get a 5 stack, switch to command/blood, and refresh seal every 15 sec), unless they nerfed it.

Command is bursty. One moment you'll kill your target in .5 seconds with it, the next it won't proc for a good 10 seconds.

Blood/martyr has been the default sustained DPS seal for awhile, but careful you don't kill yourself with it.

I "think" I saw some recent numbers crunched on target dummies with blood vs. command, and I think it was pretty close between the two for sustained DPS. I don't know where that thread was at, though.

edit: just go with what the guy above me said :P
uke

Postby Rasmfrackn » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:23 pm

I judge light because mana's a non-issue. I use Blood because heck, I can save a talent point and the numbers are big and consistent. :) (Oh, and judging command was busted when I started leveling... only hit for like 600 when blood was judging for 1200.) An instant FoL as I'm running to the next target is all I need to top up.

I really am not worrying about maximizing dps for grinding... it literally is 2 to 4 GCDs to kill something. If I don't crit at all and have to wait for a 4th GCD I get depressed, but it doesn't happen often. Usually I just push Judge, CS, DS and loot.

Judge proccing my seal is weird, I must say. Opening with a SoB+JoL puts about 10 things in my combat log, 2 of which are damage numbers.
Rasmfrackn
Dwarf Paladin
Icecrown Server
Eng/Scribe/Masochist
Rasmfrackn

Postby Robbo » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:30 pm

I've done both on beta, imo, ret is way better.

AoE? can do. Single targets? Can do. Excellent survivability while still doing damage? can do. Able to solo elites 5+ levels above me? can do!

I've done most 3-5 person group quests solo cause I can.

Naturally its easier to solo stuff as prot (easier meaning you die slower) but ret solo'ing will kill the thing faster.

It helps that my ret gear is fuckin' awesome, I was gonna be the ret pally on Brutallus before my guild dropped SW off our schedule, but grinding out some s2 real quick shouldn't be hard, and that'll last you a while.
Robbo
Maintankadonor

Postby Kilthanas » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:50 pm

Whimsy wrote:Prot may be slower at questing, but it has the added advantage of being constantly in-demand for instance runs.

Running instances are a very good way of gaining fast XP, and the gear upgrades also have a big impact on your leveling speed.

So of you enjoy running instances (as I do), then don't worry so much about how fast prot will be in questing. We can easily make up the difference with instances.

By all accounts you can still tank as ret. Not sure what gear you have to swap out or in to make that happen but they said they wanted ret pallies, arms warriors, fury warriors, etc to tank in non-heroic 5 mans. So for lvling you should be able to tank as ret it looks like.

I'm leaning towards lvling as ret as long as tanking is fine. I wonder if you can tank as ret spec, in prot gear but with a 2H? Anybody tanking 5 mans in ret spec in beta?
Kilthanas

Postby Kelaan » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:57 pm

Kilthanas wrote:I'm leaning towards lvling as ret as long as tanking is fine. I wonder if you can tank as ret spec, in prot gear but with a 2H? Anybody tanking 5 mans in ret spec in beta?

As long as you've geared for non-block-related stuff, probably. The only thing you're missing are blocks for and armor, for mitigation. Being 3k armor below part sounds rough... but, the threat ought to be significant. I'd say give it a shot, LOL...
Kelaan

Postby knaughty » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:48 pm

Kilthanas wrote:I'm leaning towards lvling as ret as long as tanking is fine. I wonder if you can tank as ret spec, in prot gear but with a 2H? Anybody tanking 5 mans in ret spec in beta?

I asked earlier, and the answer was: If you have good tanking gear feel free to tank ret specced (tanking gear on).

I tank Sunwell now... I don't need no steenkin prot talents to tank a lvl 71 instance. Hell... I may not need a shield...

My ret gear is decent enough - Brute capable. I expect that it will work fine till mid-70s
This isn't the "Offtankadin" forum. My MoP FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/FAQ-5-0
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Location: Sydney, plotting my next diatribe against the forces of ignorance!

Postby Kaiser » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:18 am

So, given that Ret IS a good spec to level with, what exactly do you all think the talent lineup should be for that leveling?

Just playing around with talents to start at 70, I end up with something like 55 in the Ret tree that I "must have!", which, after putting 5 into Strength, leaves me a loose point I don't know what I should have done with.

http://wotlk.wowhead.com/?talent=sZ0xZVcbtbIucMsxuAo

Better suggestions/personal opinions?
Kaiser

Postby gmf1 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:21 am

Prot all the way :) I like to lvl as i'm guna play endgame, my ally pally lvled holy all the way pre bc :) wouldn't do that again.
gmf1
Maintankadonor

Postby Lypianus » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:44 pm

10-70 as Prot, figure 70-80 will be the same.

Why change what isn't broken?
Lypianus

Postby EvilNuff » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:21 am

Whimsy wrote:...Running instances are a very good way of gaining fast XP, and the gear upgrades also have a big impact on your leveling speed.

Surprisingly to me, in beta, this is not true. Instance xp has been SLOW compared to questing. I leveled my Paladin 1-70 as prot, I also instance leveled him through BC and trust me...there is no reason to level prot. You flat out will take significantly longer, IMO, to level Prot than you would Ret.

Side note, leveling instances in beta have been trivial to tank. You really can tank them as Ret if you have prot gear...so why exactly would you level prot?
EvilNuff

Postby Far » Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:13 am

Read all the posts in this thread, but havent seen anybody mention staying prot but using using a full retribution set for single mobs.

I see myself changing gear whether it be 1-3 mobs, or 4-99 mobs.

Or maybe doing the opposite of speccing ret and putting on prot set for multiple mobs or when soloing group quests.

Anyone have experience of any of these versions, from beta ?
Far

Postby Boomtank » Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:40 am

if you have a ret set you should have somewhere between 25 and 30% crit which is around 60% judgement crit. That means you can instant flash of light all the time which could make blood worth it.

For tanking as ret i assume you may use corruption/veangence though?
Boomtank

PreviousNext

Return to WotLK