Wotlk Leveling: Prot or Retri?

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Belloc » Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:47 am

Erendis wrote:I plan on instance grinding to 80 the same as I did to 70. So Prot it is for me.

Instance XP seems to be way down, due to the lowered amount of mobs and the fact that the instances are shorter. Or maybe it's just that the mobs give less XP.

Whatever the case, I strongly suggest that you supplement your instance grinding with some questing.
Belloc

Postby Mordinm » Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:48 am

Tensen wrote:Personally, I've been lvling Prot on Beta:

as stated before is Sanc and JOL up, (and Divine Plea once you hit 71) I experience no downtime. In fact I wear my tanking gear all the time. Why do you ask?

Well, if I think I'm going to be low on mana - I just grab 3 -4 mobs, let them swing away at me and watch the dodge/parry/miss/block accross my screen light up and my mana bar go up, up, up the whole time whil spamming every ability I have.

Want to have fun, grab 7+ mobs - you can blow every freaking ability you have - they die, you're HP never moves, and you end the fight with a full mana bar - and you lvl very quickly!

Added bonus - group quests are yours for the taking, no worries, no problem.

I was bored one day and decided to solo Utgarde Keep trash mobs while at 70. Well, not an issue - 9-12k xp per mob!

If your pally is the first toon you level the hard part will be finding those 7+ or even 3 to 4 mobs. I expect to have to hunt for any kind of mob there is a quest to kill for the first week or two of wotlk. Maybe if you are palying at very odd hours you'll have an easier time. If I level my pally near release he'll be ret for sure. If I pick another one to level first I might stay prot.
Mordinm

Postby Kellann » Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:50 am

1-60 as prot from WoW1.4 to 1.5
MC/BWL as holy
60-70 as prot
5man-BT as prot

I think I'll keep with the trend. :)
Kellann - Uther
Kellann

Postby Duraz0rz » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:40 am

I'd imagine prot will be almost as good at ret because of the increased DPS while soloing thanks to new buttons and using a higher DPS weapon.
Duraz0rz

Postby uke » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:50 am

Duraz0rz wrote:I'd imagine prot will be almost as good at ret because of the increased DPS while soloing thanks to new buttons and using a higher DPS weapon.

On 5+ mobs, sure
On lower numbers (1-2), not even close.

Prot DPS has been buffed, but Ret DPS has been increased much much more.

Anything less than four at a time, Ret will always be significantly quicker by a large margin. It isn't even debatable except by people who have have never experienced the DPS differences b/w prot and ret themselves.

I still maintain that respeccing ret, suiting up in lvl 70 reputation PVP blues, and finding yourself a nice 2h weapon is the best plan for leveling for prot pallys who have no ret set when the expansion hits. If you're able to find large groups of melee only mobs, and you like prot grinding much more, then go with that by all means. But if you're going to ask what is the most efficient method of questing/leveling on anything with casters, or groups smaller than 4, then the factually correct answer is that ret wins by a very long shot.
uke

Postby ulushnar » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:54 am

uke wrote:But if you're going to ask what is the most efficient method of questing/leveling on anything with casters, or groups smaller than 4, then the factually correct answer is that ret wins by a very long shot.

So you're saying a Tanking spec's slower than a DPS spec?

:shock:
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby uke » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:57 am

Ulushnar wrote:
uke wrote:But if you're going to ask what is the most efficient method of questing/leveling on anything with casters, or groups smaller than 4, then the factually correct answer is that ret wins by a very long shot.

So you're saying a Tanking spec's slower than a DPS spec?

:shock:

Being that the poster I was quoting was claiming that they leveled at about the same rate because prot's damage has been buffed, then yes.

Pretty obvious statement, I know. But someone in this thread just stated that they thought they were the same speed. If people didn't make very mistaken assumptions, I wouldn't give very obvious and 'no duh' answers.

(In other words, I see what you did there :wink: , the shocking part is that I actually had to point out the differences)
uke

Postby EvilNuff » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:11 am

There's something y'all are missing. I see many comments of people saying they will level as prot because there is zero downtime.

There is zero downtime as Ret. Seriously. I've started AoE grinding as Ret, with a 2h, because there is no downtime.

There's NO question in my mind that Ret is loads faster than prot for levelling. (Through 77 at least which I currently am in beta...and this from a guy who levelled his pally 1-70 prot.)
EvilNuff

Postby Aranbenjo » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:19 am

I would like to try retr till 75.
But i think that my family (yes a play with my wife, brother, brother's wife) and friends (about 20 schoolyard friends) are currently forcing me in not respec and bring them to massive aoe pulls.

We are planning to skill up faster grouped in 3 to 5.

I dont know wich is the trade off -- but .... u know ... family is the family:)
The savior of the broken,the beaten and the damned

Aranbenjo.Thunderhorn.EU
Aranbenjo

Postby uke » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:51 am

EvilNuff wrote:There's something y'all are missing. I see many comments of people saying they will level as prot because there is zero downtime.

There is zero downtime as Ret. Seriously. I've started AoE grinding as Ret, with a 2h, because there is no downtime.

There's NO question in my mind that Ret is loads faster than prot for levelling. (Through 77 at least which I currently am in beta...and this from a guy who levelled his pally 1-70 prot.)

Exactly.

I leveled 1-70 as prot myself. A few months back, I decided to try out Ret for kicks and giggles. I only now go prot for guild runs where I'm needed to tank. Even in live, killing speed is much faster as ret, however there is down time going OOM afer a couple minutes.

In 3.0, there will be zero downtime, and add in that ret's dps has been buffed ridiculously.

Sheath of Light gives ret's heals a very good punch
Art of War allows instant FoL casts on every crit (which will be pretty much all the time). You'll be able to easily heal yourself in combat. Add in spell crit being combined with melee crit, and you will be getting a lot of instant crit heals on yourself.
With Judgements of the Wise+Divine Plea, you will never run out of mana.
Divine Storm lets you grind about 4 mobs at a time, healing yourself on every hit.

My typical leveling setup will be seal Command, judge Light. Pull 1-3 mobs at a time while spamming Divine Storm and Crusader Strike. Insant FoL myself when needed. Ret Aura and Consecrate will provide very effective aoe damage via Sheath of Light.

If I'm low on health after a pull, cast a holy light, pop Divine Plea, and go to the next mob back at full health/mana.

Mobs die in less than 10 seconds (or quicker), and you'll never have to stop to drink/eat.

It's just plain ridiculous how buffed it's going to be in 3.0 as ret. I can't see why someone would want to level any differently unless (as mentioned elsewhere in this thread), they're tanking with friends/family all the time.
uke

Postby Sabindeus » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:58 am

Aranbenjo wrote:I would like to try retr till 75.
But i think that my family (yes a play with my wife, brother, brother's wife) and friends (about 20 schoolyard friends) are currently forcing me in not respec and bring them to massive aoe pulls.

We are planning to skill up faster grouped in 3 to 5.

I dont know wich is the trade off -- but .... u know ... family is the family:)

I do massive AoE pulls as Ret. No joke.

Seriously, Divine Storm plus Seal of Light plus Art of War is OP.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Knatniam » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:01 am

I leveled to 75 as Ret in the beta, went prot from 75-76, and immediately went back to Ret to hit 80.

I have a full T6-level Ret set in live due to. . . BT farming. So Ret is definately the case for me. It is a LOT faster, no question.
Knatniam - Dark - Proudmoore
Knatniam

Postby Andryana » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:05 am

I think it also depends on your goals, if you want to get to 80 as soon as possible, then by all means go retribution, you will get there a lot faster.

I'm not in a rush so i'll still go prot won't be as bad as it was on TBC for quests and whenever possible do a few instances ;)
Andryana

Postby Kathane » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:20 am

Mordinm wrote:If your pally is the first toon you level the hard part will be finding those 7+ or even 3 to 4 mobs. I expect to have to hunt for any kind of mob there is a quest to kill for the first week or two of wotlk.

Baelgun Dig Site. Mine. There will be so many people doing the Iron Construct quests that you will lose bodies before you can loot them. Bring a warloc with empty bags to loot and seed. 8+ melee only dwarves summoned each time someone comes through on the quest? Yes please.
"What's the kill order?"
"This room, the next room, the hallway, and then the boss."
*throws shield*

Kathane

Postby Macha » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:30 am

Ret isn't that much faster to make me forsake my beloved shield. I played 4 Paladins in 4 games only with shields, I will not change this now.

Sure, it's a bit slower, but whatever. I'm going to be fastest to 80 anyway, and then have to wait for half of the guild, so it doesn't matter much.
Macha

PreviousNext

Return to WotLK