Remove Advertisements

Wotlk Leveling: Prot or Retri?

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Wotlk Leveling: Prot or Retri?

Postby Byzant » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:53 am

Hello all! As I have not had the pleasure of trying the beta I want to ask is the protpaladin able to quest/level efficiently in the beta or would it be faster as Retri? Are there any "suppy" type mob clusters etc?
Byzant

Postby Andryana » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:56 am

With judgements of the wise&art of war, retribution has literally no downtime and it's the faster way to level, protection with the new BoS isn't that bad, but it will always be slower.
Andryana

Postby ulushnar » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:56 am

With Blessing of Sanc, Judgement of Light and 3+ mobs I've experienced zero downtime on Beta.

Prot will do fine for levelling. Ret will always be faster, but if you want to stay Prot, there's no reason not to.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Haganomir » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:01 am

Has the tankadins killspeed changed when killing caster/healer-types?

I am still sweating tears and blood when thinking about my daily daily-grind compared to my mage, warrior or even disc/holy-priest
Haganomir

Postby ulushnar » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:22 am

Haganomir wrote:Has the tankadins killspeed changed when killing caster/healer-types?

It's a bit faster thanks to HotR in the rotation and being able to use a decent-DPS weapon, but we're never going to match a DPS class.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Galoheart » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:35 am

Haganomir wrote:Has the tankadins killspeed changed when killing caster/healer-types?

I am still sweating tears and blood when thinking about my daily daily-grind compared to my mage, warrior or even disc/holy-priest

Not really a issue and haven't found it to be of an issue either in Beta.
http://ardentdefender.blogspot.com/ - My WoW Blog.
"One day my time will come. Until then I continue to prepare myself".
Galoheart

Postby samsara » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:09 am

Hm, i was thinking of leveling in ret but then i decided to stay with prot.

Why?

I have leveled up to 70 with prot. I think that gave me quite a good overview and feeling for "how to tank" and "how to use the right spells at the right moment". As the judgemend system will change and new spells will introduced i don't think that it would be a bad idea to level as prot to get familiar with that spec. And i think those 10 lvl's will not take that long that it realy matters if i take a bit longer -> my goal is to hit 80 @ 20. November.
samsara

Postby Erendis » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:13 am

I plan on instance grinding to 80 the same as I did to 70. So Prot it is for me.
Erendis
Maintankadonor

Postby sherck » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:42 am

Erendis wrote:I plan on instance grinding to 80 the same as I did to 70. So Prot it is for me.

What he said!!!

But, shhhh, I am doing it as Holy.

Cheers,
sherck

Postby Worldie » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:51 am

Retri until 75, then prot all the way :)

If the dual-spec makes it to live, going to solo as retri and tank as prot.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby stormknight » Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:09 am

I will level up with prot spec. I did same for lvl60-70 , will try same tactic again. :)

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
stormknight

Postby Dapaladin » Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:18 am

Worldie wrote:Retri until 75, then prot all the way :)

If the dual-spec makes it to live, going to solo as retri and tank as prot.

Agreed
Dapaladin

Postby Jokaa » Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:25 am

Worldie wrote:If the dual-spec makes it to live, going to solo as retri and tank as prot.

Say what? :O
How come I keep missing things like this?
Image Image Image
Jokaa

Postby Tensen » Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:41 am

Personally, I've been lvling Prot on Beta:

as stated before is Sanc and JOL up, (and Divine Plea once you hit 71) I experience no downtime. In fact I wear my tanking gear all the time. Why do you ask?

Well, if I think I'm going to be low on mana - I just grab 3 -4 mobs, let them swing away at me and watch the dodge/parry/miss/block accross my screen light up and my mana bar go up, up, up the whole time whil spamming every ability I have.

Want to have fun, grab 7+ mobs - you can blow every freaking ability you have - they die, you're HP never moves, and you end the fight with a full mana bar - and you lvl very quickly!

Added bonus - group quests are yours for the taking, no worries, no problem.

I was bored one day and decided to solo Utgarde Keep trash mobs while at 70. Well, not an issue - 9-12k xp per mob!
Last edited by Tensen on Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tensen

Postby Markoh » Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:41 am

Prot is faster if you get large groups, like 6-10ish mobs. Since quest mobs seemed to be in large numbers in small areas I would just round everything up aoe them down.

However since when wotlk is released it will be a huge rush I suspect ret will be better since you won't be able to round up large groups of mobs.
Markoh

Next

Return to WotLK