Remove Advertisements

A guide to Holy Paladins in WoW 3.0

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Joanadark » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:28 pm

If anyone has mana issues right now for real, it would be priests. The tools you have now though are wonderful, having Hymn is a lifesaver of an asset (much less qq need innervates now that you have your own mana restore), and your renew is pretty powerful.
You pretty much never use greater heal any more though. Mostly renews, shields, flash heal, and your myriad of other instant-cast tools. CoH too is still quite decent.
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark

Postby Joanadark » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:29 pm

I also knew that the damage intake on tanks was going to be very, very different and even gave some limited numbers from what I had seen of beta parses to back it up.

gone are the days of spam.
Time-to-live is rediculously high, and pretty much all tank damage is reactable when you have a HoT stack up on the tank.
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark

Postby Levantine » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:37 pm

Joanadark wrote:If anyone has mana issues right now for real, it would be priests. The tools you have now though are wonderful, having Hymn is a lifesaver of an asset (much less qq need innervates now that you have your own mana restore), and your renew is pretty powerful.
You pretty much never use greater heal any more though. Mostly renews, shields, flash heal, and your myriad of other instant-cast tools. CoH too is still quite decent.

Ugh, hearing that makes me want to be in the Beta even more. It's going to be a huge shift in play style, and I dare-say anyone that wasn't in the Beta is going to have a harder time adjusting.

It's interesting that they're nerfing our longevity so much by making Greater Heal redundant. I'm not sure that Serendipity and Hymn of Hope for everyone is going to be enough to cover for the loss of chainpotting and old school shadow priests. If we're using our instant spells primarily then I doubt we'll see much dancing with the FSR either. :/
Levantine

Postby Joanadark » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:39 pm

On the bright side, as a holy priest Replenishment is up on your pretty much permanently.
Joanadark

Postby Joanadark » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:40 pm

if you havn't taken a look at the priest PoV of the Malygos movie I posted, you might take a look. You'd probably get more out of his spell usage choices than I.
Joanadark

Postby Levantine » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:42 pm

Where did you post it again? xD I have trouble keeping up with the WotLK forum as well as trolling Arkham.
Levantine

Postby Joanadark » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:56 pm

http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f56/4020 ... easer.html

I imbedded it in here, along with the dl link. halfway down the page.
Joanadark

Postby Levantine » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:57 pm

Much love. <3
Levantine

Postby knaughty » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:25 am

Joanadark wrote:You pretty much never use greater heal any more though. Mostly renews, shields, flash heal, and your myriad of other instant-cast tools. CoH too is still quite decent.

Joanadark wrote:Time-to-live is rediculously high, and pretty much all tank damage is reactable when you have a HoT stack up on the tank.

Umm... wouldn't that mean you have plenty of time to cancel-cast GH?
• Renew/PoM/Shield
• Start casting GH, cancel, recast, cancel, recast
• Regen some mana in here somewhere
• Let GH land for some godly amount.
• Repeat?

My alt-holy-priest has terrible gear, but I barely use Flash at all on live. Admittedly, I use down-ranked GH a freaking ton, but I'd assumed you just stopped downranking come Wrath.

Hadn't checked the numbers, but isn't GH way more efficient than FH still?
This isn't the "Offtankadin" forum. My MoP FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/FAQ-5-0
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Location: Sydney, plotting my next diatribe against the forces of ignorance!

Postby Joanadark » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:33 am

while you're standing there canceling, you're not really contributing as much as you could be to raid survival, and most of the time if you're cast-canceling the holy paladins will have sniped all the healing off you anyway.
Thats just my instinct however, as i dont play a priest, im just repeating what I've been told.
Just because healing more reactable doesnt make it any less frenetic or dangerous.
You certainly are never in a situation where you can just sit and cast your big heal when you see damage taken. Thats not what I meant by reactable. What I meant is more that Brutallus-spam is a thing long gone.
Joanadark

Postby Grimmal » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:44 am

Joanadark wrote:Posted a very long and mostly true post here

While I agree with you that Holy isn't broke by any means and that in raids it will still serve a very much needed place, I'm still speccing Ret/Holy.

I'm not going to try and make the argument that it is going to be a better raid healer spec as it won't be. Beacon even in it's current state will far exceed anything that spec offers for healing. I'm simply stating for those who are wanting to play Holy in 5 mans and possibly 10 mans depending on your guild it will be a viable spec with a simple switch of gear depending on where you spend your points.

A Holy Paladin will more than for sure put out much bigger numbers for healing in the end because of Beacon and IoL, but the spec I'm aiming for is a perfect spec for those who don't plan on raiding. Or possibly even those who do but don't plan on being much more than a Holy Paladin currently is, with a side order of some HoTs. People continue to argue that it isn't a valid spec, I'm simply saying that if you haven't tried it don't rule it out.

You may view it as being half of a paladin, I view it as having more fun. Most of the time at least.
Grimmal

Postby sherck » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:38 am

Thank you all for your comments. Some excellent thoughts and I truely appricate the comments of those who have played Holy in Beta and have "real life" examples.

I will be incorporating all the suggested changes and correcting the factual errors in my guide for my guild.

Keep the comments coming if you see anything else you would like to mention.

Cheers,
sherck

Postby Jtree » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:19 am

Joana, is your holy/prot build anything like this?

http://wotlk.wowhead.com/?talent=sxAzg0zuVuMxRtacbVbh

I think I might try something out along those lines once I'm settled into Wrath raiding. I was pretty adamant after hitting 70 that I was never going to spec Holy, as this was still at the time when "paladins can't tank" and I didn't want to give an inch, lest I lose the mile. Everybody has seen the light now, so I should be more free to play around in different specs as I like.

Divine Guardian and Imp Devo look to be two powerful boosts to a healadin, assuming no one else is around to provide the latter's effect. I kinda wish DG would become the 11 pointer now, might make it more appealing and accessible for offspeccing into for raids.
Jtree

Postby Joanadark » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:10 am

Jtree wrote:Joana, is your holy/prot build anything like this?

http://wotlk.wowhead.com/?talent=sxAzg0zuVuMxRtacbVbh

I think I might try something out along those lines once I'm settled into Wrath raiding. I was pretty adamant after hitting 70 that I was never going to spec Holy, as this was still at the time when "paladins can't tank" and I didn't want to give an inch, lest I lose the mile. Everybody has seen the light now, so I should be more free to play around in different specs as I like.

Divine Guardian and Imp Devo look to be two powerful boosts to a healadin, assuming no one else is around to provide the latter's effect. I kinda wish DG would become the 11 pointer now, might make it more appealing and accessible for offspeccing into for raids.

thats exactly it.
Joanadark

Previous

Return to WotLK