Taunt/Interrupt

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Zappi » Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:44 am

Extermi wrote:Target is friendly -> Taunt up to 3 hostiles that aggro this target
Target is hostile -> Taunt exactly this target (and not the 2 additional ones)

They don't want to give us another taunt, so this would be a perfect solution.

Someone with US beta should post it in the forum ...
Zappi

Postby Kitara » Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:34 am

Mutley wrote:My idea for a single target taunt.

Judgements of the Just
Attack speed reduction 10%/20% as it is now
Your judgement of justice also taunts the target.

Gives us a 10/9/8 second cd taunt, and makes the judgement actually usefull.

Damn, I actually had the very same idea I wanted to post!

First I thought that it would feel a bit weird because we couldn't use the ability anymore to stop runners for other people... but then I thought about how often I actually used judgment of justice for another tank so far in my tanking spec (...never ever...) I think this could work and actually make the judgement a bit more useful.

*edit*

Actually now that i think about it, I even would be ok if judgement of justice did the total opposite and made the target IMMUNE to taunts. Would at least make situations better where other tanks have to taunt stuff back after RD. We could do that for them. Hell it's a bit more complicated for me but this is actually soething I'd prefer just for paladins to be different!
Kitara

Postby Mutley » Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:57 am

It would be different. Since judgements are part of our threat rotation our taunt would be on cd a lot without actually being used (think taunt sharing cd with revenge for example) so we can't just use it whenever we want to. The upside to a taunting judgement of justice would be that it prevents fleeing :P, and does damage while taunting. So it would be nice for putting out burst threat right after taunting,judgement damage+libram+ShoR etc :)
To me this seems like a perfect example of shared utility yet different flavor.
Mutley
Vek'nilash EU
Mutley

Postby Omatre » Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:10 am

Judgement of Justice is so practically un-universal in its use anyway, that sounds like a viable solution to me.

I mean seriously, you judge justice what, maybe 3 times in a good night of raiding? I used Seal a lot in Hyjal for the Abom's after I got a decent amount of threat, nothing like stunning those knockback sob's, other than that, I so rarely used it.

That would make a practically dead weight seal more useful.
Omatre

Postby moduspwnens » Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:03 am

Mutley wrote:My idea for a single target taunt.

Judgements of the Just
Attack speed reduction 10%/20% as it is now
Your judgement of justice also taunts the target.

Gives us a 10/9/8 second cd taunt, and makes the judgement actually usefull.

I'm not a huge fan of this. Because of the mechanics of taunt, allowing me to taunt + judge gives me a bigger threat lead. Well, then again we'll have more, better single target moves to use in wotlk. It might be alright.
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby Mortehl » Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:06 am

Mocking Blow has a glyph that turns it into a real taunt..

I've NEVER found a good justification for why we have only one taunt to be honest and I think its high time they just gave us another one baseline.
Arthas, we're coming for you. (Eventually)
Mortehl

Postby moduspwnens » Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:08 am

Mortehl wrote:Mocking Blow has a glyph that turns it into a real taunt..

I've NEVER found a good justification for why we have only one taunt to be honest and I think its high time they just gave us another one baseline.

BoP sometimes works as a taunt and can't be resisted, so I count it, too. Yeah, other Paladins can use it, but meh. Either way I think it's fairly clear we need a single target taunt (or a glyph to change RD into one?).
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby Mishdorf » Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:10 am

It is my belief that the 11 point talent will probably be our single target taunt. It happens to be the one obvious thing that we are missing, and the one obvious talent point we are missing.

I don't like the idea of changing the mechanics of our current taunt to be situational. It makes the spell even more clumsy than it used to be.

I could handle judgement of pve uselessness being our single target taunt, and it probably makes sense from a consistency perspective.

"mana efficiency is for people who aren't tanking enough mobs" - Knaughty
Mishdorf

Postby moduspwnens » Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:12 am

Mishdorf wrote:It is my belief that the 11 point talent will probably be our single target taunt. It happens to be the one obvious thing that we are missing, and the one obvious talent point we are missing.

I don't like the idea of changing the mechanics of our current taunt to be situational. It makes the spell even more clumsy than it used to be.

I could handle judgement of pve uselessness being our single target taunt, and it probably makes sense from a consistency perspective.

That'd be a good place for a glyph (Glyph of JoJ) to give us a better 11 pointer. Like, yaknow, wings that let us fly, or a pony.
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby Mutley » Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:19 am

They don't want glyphs to be so important that they become mandatory, so a glyph won't give us a single target taunt. The warrior one only gives a a 2nd taunt, they can live without it.
And judgement of justice has this whole "you no run, you fight ME" kinda feeling to it. :P
Last edited by Mutley on Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mutley
Vek'nilash EU
Mutley

Postby Fridmarr » Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:19 am

moduspwnens wrote:
Mishdorf wrote:It is my belief that the 11 point talent will probably be our single target taunt. It happens to be the one obvious thing that we are missing, and the one obvious talent point we are missing.

That'd be a good place for a glyph (Glyph of JoJ) to give us a better 11 pointer. Like, yaknow, wings that let us fly, or a pony.

Making JoJ a taunt would be pretty bleh, since switching seals and judgeing are on the GCD.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby moduspwnens » Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:20 am

Mutley wrote:They don't want glyphs to be so important that they become mandatory, so a glyph won't give us a single target taunt. The warrior one only gives a a 2nd taunt, they can live without it.

Hehe, well if they thought a single target taunt were important, we'd have one. Our taunt works for most situations, there's just a few where it's mechanically a problem.

Here's an idea: Multiple Ranks.

Righteous Defense: Rank 1
Come to the defense of a friendly target, commanding the targeted enemy to attack the Paladin instead.

So you still wouldn't be able to use it on yourself and would have to be in LoS and range of who's gettin attacked (keeping with the flavor), but it's also usable on ONE target, and if you use Rank 1, the one you're targeting is guaranteed.
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby Mutley » Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:23 am

No need to switch seal ofc, just use another judgement.

And they may idd think single target taunts aren't that important, but making one available through a glyph would make it very good for paladins. Even if only as back up taunt, for when RD fails.
Mutley
Vek'nilash EU
Mutley

Postby majiben » Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:24 am

Fridmarr wrote:
moduspwnens wrote:

Making JoJ a taunt would be pretty bleh, since switching seals and judgeing are on the GCD.

Correct me if I'm wrong but judgements are no longer tied to the active seals you are using. I could have SoV on and judge light, wisdom, or justice any time I wanted without switching seals or consuming my current seal. JoJ is a good place to put a second taunt or fixate.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Mishdorf » Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:34 am

Majiben wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but judgements are no longer tied to the active seals you are using. I could have SoV on and judge light, wisdom, or justice any time I wanted without switching seals or consuming my current seal. JoJ is a good place to put a second taunt or fixate.

You're wrong. On live. On the PTR and on beta you are right. I just felt like saying you were wrong because you asked me to correct you if you were wrong and I felt like doing as you asked. EDIT: I was being fascetious, there was nothing wrong with what the poster said.

And Modus, they wanted to remove downranking. If they were to do this, instead of having a new rank they might as well just give us a single target taunt on the same cooldown. Which still brings us back to the basic fact that no matter what window dressing that they put on it, we need a spell that is functionally equivalent to the warrior "taunt" spell.
Last edited by Mishdorf on Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

"mana efficiency is for people who aren't tanking enough mobs" - Knaughty
Mishdorf

PreviousNext

Return to WotLK