3%
No, it needs more restrictions
10%
No, terrible idea altogether
3%

Total votes : 39

Dual Specialization (Update)

Postby Ubung » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:41 am

A lot of talk went into Dual specs earlier in the year and I personally havnt heard anything since. Blizzards latest view:

Talents - Dual Specialization

We're defintiely pursuing the ability to switch specs. The details are still being debated internally but we do have plans that would allow for players to switch between specs.

We want every spec to be viable, as you say. But the truth is, in end game raiding or end game PvP (Arena in particular), there is a big difference between "viable" and "the best". Players will always perceive certain specs to be better than others in end game activities and it would be misleading to imply that all specs are going to be universally ideal for all situations. But viable is a different story.

I imagine by this stage we wouldn't see it until a patch after release?

Most likely in a patch but it's not too far off. (Source)

A post by GC explaining the details of the dual spec idea including what he feels about cooldowns on speccing can be found on page 18 in a post by Grimmal

EDIT: Now we have more information on the nature of the dual spec I have set up a poll. Is dual speccing a good idea.
Last edited by Ubung on Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:18 am, edited 3 times in total.
nerf scissors, buff paper, rock is fine!

Ubung

Postby Warcraft » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:44 am

I've never understood the need for this... The respec fee caps at 50g and there is SO much gold in the game now from dailies, with absolutely nothing else to spend it on.
Warcraft

Postby KysenMurrin » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:45 am

I don't believe the issue was the cost so mcuh as having to reallocate your points every single time.
Temporarily playing WoW again.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Ubung » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:48 am

It all depends really on when you can activate your dual spec and what the cooldown is.

Ubung

Postby daemonym » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:17 am

i foresee it being more of a conveiance thing rather than something zomgz this rocks!! like the main concearn would be switching spec during raid for <some buff> then going back to your first spec to continue. it'll mostly be so you can save a spec template and not have to port to shat, port to <city> run to trainer, put points back in, wait for re summon.

will probably have to be an in town only sort of thign else it'll get crazy in raids i'd bet. not sure how to make it work but as a tiem saver it would be totally awesome.
Again. What grim vision this? Blood stained tomb, beer cans, and piss. This. Is no life...for a god.

Stokpile/Zurathustra of Ysera-US, Horde
Makin the WoW gold blog http://theahpile.blogspot.com/
I have 2 million gold. http://theahpile.blogspot.com/2011/05/i-have-2-million-gold.html
Total as of 5-3-11: 2,064,000g
daemonym

Postby uke » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:27 am

Biggest advantage for a paladin would be if you have to multi-tank one fight in a raid, but the next fight is a one-tank fight...and you're not the tank. Currently in live, most pallys then throw on their healing gear and FoL spam the tank still specced prot.

Dual specialization lets you instantly switch to another role as needed.

I could tank one fight as prot, then switch to a PVE Ret spec and throw my Ret gear for the next fight instantly. This as opposed to hearthing out, spending 50g to respec, putting all my points back in, and getting summoned back.

Same could apply to all three talent trees, allows hybrids to easily switch between roles without leaving the raid, as needed.
uke

Postby Warcraft » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:33 am

uke wrote:Biggest advantage for a paladin would be if you have to multi-tank one fight in a raid, but the next fight is a one-tank fight...and you're not the tank. Currently in live, most pallys then throw on their healing gear and FoL spam the tank still specced prot.

Dual specialization lets you instantly switch to another role as needed.

I could tank one fight as prot, then switch to a PVE Ret spec and throw my Ret gear for the next fight instantly. This as opposed to hearthing out, spending 50g to respec, putting all my points back in, and getting summoned back.

Same could apply to all three talent trees, allows hybrids to easily switch between roles without leaving the raid, as needed.

Actually, I'm pretty sure that respec fees are exactly what Blizzard is talking about with this multi-spec thing.

If it was just the issue of putting your points back in then they wouldn't have to "consider" anything. They would just make an interface to let you save spec templates.

And I highly doubt that they are leaning towards letting you switch specs without hearthing, considering that they've just made it so you can't even switch glyphs without hearthing.
Warcraft

Postby fuzzygeek » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:45 am

Warcraft wrote: they've just made it so you can't even switch glyphs without hearthing.

Really? That's pretty stupid.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Lumenos » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:03 pm

Warcraft wrote:I've never understood the need for this... The respec fee caps at 50g and there is SO much gold in the game now from dailies, with absolutely nothing else to spend it on.

You obviously don't spend 500g+ a week in respecs like I do. My typical sunwell night consists of me starting holy usually on kalecgos and brut, then prot on felmyst, then holy on twins, then prot on m'uru. If we even do BT or Hyjal i'm usually holy for BT and prot for hyjal. Then there's my weekend ret pvp fun, of which i'll frequently spec out of to do a bear run or something, then switch back to continue with some pvp.

The one advantage to this is i get to claim holy and prot as my "main" spec and can bid on both sets of gear with top priority, but still, it's quite expensive and really the only reason i don't have piles of gold ready for wotlk.
Lumenos

Postby cigar3tte » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:39 pm

Warcraft wrote:Actually, I'm pretty sure that respec fees are exactly what Blizzard is talking about with this multi-spec thing.

This can't be it, otherwise they'd just wave the respec cost.
cigar3tte

Postby Ubung » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:47 pm

Dual Specs do conjure up ideas of switching specs on the fly in raids. However I expect there to be a reasonably large cooldown on its use.

Ubung

Postby ydraw » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:04 pm

The fact is once Warlocks gained the ability to summon players directly into instances, the Respeccing question was moot. The only thing to stop people respeccing between each and every boss is 50g and 2 minutes. Blizzard might as well get rid of the annoyance factor and let people respec at will.
ydraw

Postby Ubung » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:06 pm

Would be awesome for any future Shade of Aran type fights where tanks are usless.

Ubung

Postby Morendin » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:09 pm

Warcraft wrote:I've never understood the need for this... The respec fee caps at 50g and there is SO much gold in the game now from dailies, with absolutely nothing else to spend it on.

nothing to spend money on? try raiding sunwell, land of 30second wipes that cost about 15g apiece even with the guild bank picking up repairs.
(agi V, prot V, Ironshield potion, food)
Morendin

Postby fuzzygeek » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:11 pm

Ubung wrote:Dual Specs do conjure up ideas of switching specs on the fly in raids. However I expect there to be a reasonably large cooldown on its use.

Seems more like "hey switch spec for PvP then go back to PvE spec for raids." I don't think it's intended to be used for PvE at all. A long cooldown would make it useless for situations it would be most useful for -- grats on being locked into your offspec for X hours for the sake of a 10 minute fight!

Betting they dumped the idea, or moved it way down the priority list. While it'd be a nice feature to have, it solves a minor game mechanic that isn't game breaking and only affects a handful of people.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Next

Return to WotLK