Remove Advertisements

Prot "Baby Healz"?

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Prot "Baby Healz"?

Postby masterpoobaa » Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:42 pm

In my guild i have the nickname "baby heals"
Originated from the days after i hit L70 and had mostly blues and a whopping 180 spellpower.

Question is, does a pallies healing spells scale with AP?
Reason why i ask is that while not critical, ones own ability to heal does come in handy from time to time, and im worried that there will be too much focus on gear with strength & AP in LK... with our ability to heal not scaling at all.

Im not expecting to raid heal at 80 in tanking gear obviously - but i do kinda expect better heals than what i currently do at L70 with ~400 spellpower.

For those L80 pallies out there, whats your base AP/SP like once u hit L80? and how many flash heals does it take u to go from min to max hp?
Ellifain @ Khaz'Goroth does not approve of torture, save where there's experience/rep/loot involved.
masterpoobaa

Location: Brisbane, Australia, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe.

Postby Worldie » Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:50 pm

Stam -> spelldamage.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Conaan! » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:02 pm

Worldie wrote:Stam -> spelldamage.

that and the fact that you should put on healing gear to heal....
Lore wrote:JEAPORDY: CREEPY BASEMENT EDITION
Conaan!

Postby guillex » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:20 pm

Just to elaborate on what Worldie said...

Because of the change in mechanics for 3.0/Wrath, we're going to be picking up gear with strength, yes ... But holy crap are we getting a TON of stamina, too.

Along with this talent, Touched by the Light, being able to offheal as prot will not be the burden of changing gear that it once was.

Yes, being in spellpower gear will help a lot, but you don't necessarily have to be in it to offheal effectively. Just remember that.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby vyaine » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:12 pm

Guillex wrote:Just to elaborate on what Worldie said...

Because of the change in mechanics for 3.0/Wrath, we're going to be picking up gear with strength, yes ... But holy crap are we getting a TON of stamina, too.

Along with this talent, Touched by the Light, being able to offheal as prot will not be the burden of changing gear that it once was.

Yes, being in spellpower gear will help a lot, but you don't necessarily have to be in it to offheal effectively. Just remember that.

this, while im not in the beta i know on the ptr i did a bit of testing, and right now my heals on the ptr in my prot set ( ~ 400 spell power) are almost identical to that of the heals in my holy set, and with my holy set id say i dont do all to bad at healing. ( though its not like i ever end up using that set anyways lol)
vyaine

Postby Katamai » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:47 pm

Prot healing never had issues with HP/S (in healing gear that is cause we didn't have stam->SP). It was always about running OOM and with nerf to chain potting (and not having a beta key i'm making a guess :X) i doubt things will be any better at 80 in that regard.
I... was... once... called... Ashbringer...
My... son... watched... me... die...
KILL... THEM... ALL!
Katamai

Re: Prot "Baby Healz"?

Postby Lumennon » Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:05 am

masterpoobaa wrote:In my guild i have the nickname "baby heals"

Aaawww, that's cute. =D

One thing I'd like to get straight: They call you "baby heals" because you dish out small amounts of healing while being in prot gear and... Yea, well... Prot specced?

Do the shadow priests in your guild also bear the same nickname? What about the warrior tanks, any "baby DPS"? Boomkin being "baby tanks"?

Sorry, but, along with TbtL and what not, you're a tank and that's pretty much the point. I think I understand that your guild was not bitter when they gave you the nickname, but I honestly don't see the point in getting you wound up about the matter so much that this becomes significant to you.

You have your spec and your spot. What is important to say about the matter: When called upon, you will be able to perform both other roles better than today, from a relative point of view.
Ebbitt wrote:Arthas is sitting there watching over the front door then... SURPRISE BUTTSECKS, we just got inside by the back door and facerolled all your defenses.
Lumennon
Maintankadonor

Postby Niemen » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:45 am

I do not mind switching my gear, if i want to heal. What i DO mind is that i have to collect different gear for healing as prot than i have to do for healing as holy. They seriously have to ensure that we will profit more from crit than from Mp5 as a healer, no matter what you skilled.
Niemen

Postby Katamai » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:57 am

Niemen wrote:I do not mind switching my gear, if i want to heal. What i DO mind is that i have to collect different gear for healing as prot than i have to do for healing as holy. They seriously have to ensure that we will profit more from crit than from Mp5 as a healer, no matter what you skilled.

I have a almost-full shaman healing set (offset pieces) for healing as prot and full T6 holy set for healing as holy, as well as 4 (without res gear) tanking sets and 2 T6 ret sets (though overlapping some pieces in different sets).

That's the bane of being a paladin.
KILL... THEM... ALL!
Katamai

Postby Arquine » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:06 am

Katamai wrote:It was always about running OOM

that. the biggest issue to paladins has never been HPS, rather mana recovery - prot gear has zero (and should not) have any mp5.
Arquine

Postby Zumor » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:18 am

in beta (and PTR 3.0.X) you have the powered up version of flash of light and holy light, Blessing of Light is removed and fused with these heals, they are stronger than on live.
With the talent deep in prot-tree and the stamina you have enough power to save someones ass from dying in a raid,
or when you need a little bit heal while waiting in an encounter and want to let healers save mana when you have the time you can just heal yourself with flashheals (Noth, Gothik in naxx ... ).

And with bit equip (I crafted the blue stuff from BS and used a few questrewards) you have enough healpower to heal a 5man instance in prot spec (just a few breaks for drinking, no manareturn in protspec ^^)
Zumor

Postby Katamai » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:36 am

Zumor wrote:in beta (and PTR 3.0.X) you have the powered up version of flash of light and holy light, Blessing of Light is removed and fused with these heals, they are stronger than on live.
With the talent deep in prot-tree and the stamina you have enough power to save someones ass from dying in a raid,
or when you need a little bit heal while waiting in an encounter and want to let healers save mana when you have the time you can just heal yourself with flashheals (Noth, Gothik in naxx ... ).

And with bit equip (I crafted the blue stuff from BS and used a few questrewards) you have enough healpower to heal a 5man instance in prot spec (just a few breaks for drinking, no manareturn in protspec ^^)

1. TbtL only affects crits. If you don't crit it's as if you don't have it.
2. Healing yourself while tanking: you're not topped up, your healers have failed, you'll die anyway. It won't change anything since it's not instant cast and you're risking getting your face melted
3. You are a tank, others should be healing you, not other way around
4. You're talking about HP/S which was never an issue. Mana is and while your HP/S might be close enough to heal, your mana will be gone before you realise it
5. You're a tank. You should tank a 5 man instance, not heal it. And if you are, you're better off respeccing anyway.
KILL... THEM... ALL!
Katamai

Postby Songblade » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:00 am

Katamai wrote:
Zumor wrote:in beta (and PTR 3.0.X) you have the powered up version of flash of light and holy light, Blessing of Light is removed and fused with these heals, they are stronger than on live.

1. TbtL only affects crits. If you don't crit it's as if you don't have it.
2. Healing yourself while tanking: you're not topped up, your healers have failed, you'll die anyway. It won't change anything since it's not instant cast and you're risking getting your face melted
3. You are a tank, others should be healing you, not other way around
4. You're talking about HP/S which was never an issue. Mana is and while your HP/S might be close enough to heal, your mana will be gone before you realise it
5. You're a tank. You should tank a 5 man instance, not heal it. And if you are, you're better off respeccing anyway.

Wrong, TbtL affects ALL of your heals, by giving you spellpower = to 30% of your Stamina.

[Insert witty comment here]
Songblade

Postby Eanin » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:36 am

You'll still heal better in your heal set than in your prot set. I'm at almost 11k spellpower in my healing set, while a little over 600 in my prot set on test, and only when I swap weapons. On top of this, my heal set has +int for more mana and +mp5, whereas I don't have much int and zero mp5 on my prot set.

Having the ability to heal in prot gear is only for when I'm tanking something and then I have nothing else to do for a while after my target dies. I can imagine it would have been very useful on Kael (we're past that now), and will be very useful on Dragonhawk, which we're still running. It should also be useful during Supremus phase two and RoS phase two. I imagine there will be other fights in the future where I'll spend some time healing without the opportunity to swap gear.
Eanin

Postby Kelaan » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:55 am

Conaan! wrote:you should put on healing gear to heal....

Given the heavy focus on stamina on PvP gear, would pvp healing gear be better suited for us than pve healing gear? (Probably not -- still have the mana regen issue...)
Kelaan

Next

Return to WotLK