Remove Advertisements

Are wotlk fights shorter?

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Are wotlk fights shorter?

Postby Sark » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:17 am

With the introduction of potion sickness, the introduction of replenishment mechanics and the comparatively (to bc) short cooldowns on many trinkets i'm starting to get the impression that boss events in wotlk are more intense but perhaps not as lengthy as tbc encounters?

Beta folks...clue me in please?
Sark

Postby Snake-Aes » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:23 am

Mana management being one of their goals for mana users...no I don't think fights will necessarily be shorter.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Mortehl » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:23 am

It is hard to gauge until we hit Ulduar. Naxx is a retune of existing content.
Arthas, we're coming for you. (Eventually)
Mortehl

Postby Splug » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:33 am

Kel'Thuzad has what, 5 million health in naxx10? If the intended damage level is 2.5k dps, with 7 dps (2 healers, 2 tanks - figure the tanks combined are actually more than 7 dps but one of them leaves halfway through) then that's 17.5k rdps. 5M/17.5k = 285.7 seconds of p2/3, or 4 min 45.7 sec. Throw on another three minutes for phase one, and you're looking at a ~8 minute encounter.

EDIT: Now, whether 2.5k dps is "normal" for a 10-man fighting Kel'Thuzad or not, or whether that damage level is intended or simply the result of an imbalanced class here or there, is another matter entirely...

-Splug
Active raid character: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... an&n=Spyte
255 characters is not enough to fit my alts' armories in.
Splug
Maintankadonor

Postby VikrumthePally » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:10 pm

On this topic. But am I the only one that feels WoW fights don't feel quite as "epic" as some other games due to their rather shorter duration?

I prefer the way raiding is in WoW but would like to have a few 15-20 minute fights.

Anything after that I think is a stretch even though I have been in boss fights in other games that take over 30 minutes.
VikrumthePally

Postby Fizzgig » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:11 pm

The first time I did Nefarian and Illidan both fights were both over 20 minutes.
Fizzgig

Postby Andox » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:12 pm

I would love to see more fights like Illidan and Kael, where you need to control several things, where you need to have people on their toes when doing certain things when it's a progress kill. But some hardhitters, like Brutallus, is also nice, sadly I won't have time to reach him before Wotlk, but I truly hope that I can come back and do SWP like I'm doing Naxx and AQ 40 now.

But I agree with you. Long fights with several phases are fun. Sadly they would have to change alot in the game if they would implent the 30 minute fights.
Andox

Postby VikrumthePally » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:15 pm

Fizzgig wrote:The first time I did Nefarian and Illidan both fights were both over 20 minutes.

Yeah I guess on progression though it is a different story.
VikrumthePally

Postby Eaglestrike » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:22 pm

When progressing every boss has felt "epic enough" in length except for Shade of Akama. I'm plenty happy with WoW's timeframe, coming from 4 years of FFXI when the "epic" fights are 2-4 hours long and even on farm content from before NA's were at the highest level you have a 15-min wait between fights (sky).
Eaglestrike

Postby Andox » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:27 pm

Eaglestrike wrote:When progressing every boss has felt "epic enough" in length except for Shade of Akama. I'm plenty happy with WoW's timeframe, coming from 4 years of FFXI when the "epic" fights are 2-4 hours long and even on farm content from before NA's were at the highest level you have a 15-min wait between fights (sky).

Well, I can't say that it was any "epic bosses" in Karazhan. The epicness for me started with A'lar, it was very cool to see this bird fly around, and then ultimatly getting reborned from the ashes and jihad bomb the raid with me picking up the adds.

Vashj was pretty nice, but not epic enough. Pretty boring encounter. I don't like SSC at all, I hate the color, the atmophere, I hate everything. Death to the nagas.

Now Kael was pretty epic imo. Seeing him send his advisors against us, killing them, spawning the weapons, nuke them fast as hell to resume tanking one of his adds while everyone in the raid is working on a add. Then the timelapse for the first time, FUN FUN FUN!

It's wrong to just do the endbosses epic, even the bosses between the checks and the endboss should have a sort of epicness in them.Can't really say that any MH boss was epic. Boss one to fourth was VERY easy, it was free loot. Then Archimonde came, well, the epicness was to actually manage to press the damn tears and not blame the lag.

I'm in for alot of epicness, give me!
Andox

Postby moduspwnens » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:30 pm

Hmph. I thought you said FLIGHTS. To answer that question, they are NOT shorter, and they are NOT cheaper. They are quite expensive and long.
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby Andox » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:32 pm

moduspwnens wrote:Hmph. I thought you said FLIGHTS. To answer that question, they are NOT shorter, and they are NOT cheaper. They are quite expensive and long.

Okey, I wrote something funny here, but the forum decided to eat my post, so I just leave this placeholder to show you the remains of my funny post. Enjoy.
Andox

Postby Archimeades » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:32 pm

Andox wrote:
Eaglestrike wrote:When progressing every boss has felt "epic enough" in length except for Shade of Akama. I'm plenty happy with WoW's timeframe, coming from 4 years of FFXI when the "epic" fights are 2-4 hours long and even on farm content from before NA's were at the highest level you have a 15-min wait between fights (sky).

Well, I can't say that it was any "epic bosses" in Karazhan. The epicness for me started with A'lar, it was very cool to see this bird fly around, and then ultimatly getting reborned from the ashes and jihad bomb the raid with me picking up the adds.

Vashj was pretty nice, but not epic enough. Pretty boring encounter. I don't like SSC at all, I hate the color, the atmophere, I hate everything. Death to the nagas.

Now Kael was pretty epic imo. Seeing him send his advisors against us, killing them, spawning the weapons, nuke them fast as hell to resume tanking one of his adds while everyone in the raid is working on a add. Then the timelapse for the first time, FUN FUN FUN!

It's wrong to just do the endbosses epic, even the bosses between the checks and the endboss should have a sort of epicness in them.Can't really say that any MH boss was epic. Boss one to fourth was VERY easy, it was free loot. Then Archimonde came, well, the epicness was to actually manage to press the damn tears and not blame the lag.

But how do you define "epicness"? I think everyone has a different opinion, and Blizz does a decent job pleasing as many people as possible.
Archimeades

Postby moduspwnens » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:33 pm

Andox wrote:
moduspwnens wrote:Hmph. I thought you said FLIGHTS. To answer that question, they are NOT shorter, and they are NOT cheaper. They are quite expensive and long.

Okey, I wrote something funny here, but the forum decided to eat my post, so I just leave this placeholder to show you the remains of my funny post. Enjoy.

It's cool. I'll rest assured knowing that there was supposed to be something funny within this quote box.
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby Katamai » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:45 pm

Andox wrote:

QFT x10

Still have nightmares from SSC puke-colors >.<
I... was... once... called... Ashbringer...
My... son... watched... me... die...
KILL... THEM... ALL!
Katamai

Next

Return to WotLK