Attack Deflected

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby fafhrd » Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:30 pm

Snake-Aes wrote:
fafhrd wrote:Haven't seen deflects on ranged attacks in a loooooong time though.
Log on PTR and use the hammer on a grandmaster dummy(they're lvl 80, so the combat table will favor their deflects)

I wasn't saying they're not happening to hammer tosses on ptr (and I don't have a pally to test with, but I wasn't doubting anyway). But since someone was saying "it's a ranged attack" as justification for a deflect, I was pointing out that my hunter hasn't seen a "deflect" message since patch 1.6 or so, when they tidied up ranged attack tables. The only outcomes for an actual ranged attack currently are hit, crit, miss, block or absorb.

edit: and I haven't seen any hunters QQing about getting shots deflected on the dummies they were testing against on PTR/Beta either... yet
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby Omatre » Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:22 pm

Omatre

Postby Noradin » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:54 am

fafhrd wrote:
Snake-Aes wrote:
fafhrd wrote:Haven't seen deflects on ranged attacks in a loooooong time though.
Log on PTR and use the hammer on a grandmaster dummy(they're lvl 80, so the combat table will favor their deflects)

I wasn't saying they're not happening to hammer tosses on ptr (and I don't have a pally to test with, but I wasn't doubting anyway). But since someone was saying "it's a ranged attack" as justification for a deflect, I was pointing out that my hunter hasn't seen a "deflect" message since patch 1.6 or so, when they tidied up ranged attack tables. The only outcomes for an actual ranged attack currently are hit, crit, miss, block or absorb.

edit: and I haven't seen any hunters QQing about getting shots deflected on the dummies they were testing against on PTR/Beta either... yet

Maybe it is an ranged attack using the melee hit table?
Im sure I have deflected some ranged attacks in BT recently, at least I have seen "deflected" in my sct there.

The real question is: Is expertise affecting deflects?
ImageImage
Noradin

Postby Zumor » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:40 am

on Beta:
it looks like its a Avenger Shield on short range, the first hit, your target has to be in melee range, the 2 other targets of the hammer can be around 10yards away or more, (you can hit them in a chain, like AS does)

it uses the melee-calculations, works like AS and does 100% critdamage (instead of casts 50%) BUT
it is deflected a lot more than our attacks are parried,
Parry /= Deflect on ranged, they are calculated diffrent,
it seems mobs have a lot more deflect chance than parry chance (I would say deflect is around 150% the parry chance)
when I hit 80 on Beta attacks got deflected around 5% to 10% of the time (when hitting 3 mobs with HotR and every 10th attack is deflected (on the 4th HotR) you notice it alot),
and with my equip getting better and some more expertise I cant see many deflects anymore, parrys are pushed down as well.
Zumor

Postby Rhî » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:07 am

MonkH wrote:u say its like a parry? so does it speed up attack speed also?

Anyone tested this?
Rhî

Postby Kellann » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:19 am

Zumor wrote:on Beta:
it looks like its a Avenger Shield on short range, the first hit, your target has to be in melee range, the 2 other targets of the hammer can be around 10yards away or more, (you can hit them in a chain, like AS does)

it uses the melee-calculations, works like AS and does 100% critdamage (instead of casts 50%) BUT
it is deflected a lot more than our attacks are parried,
Parry /= Deflect on ranged, they are calculated diffrent,
it seems mobs have a lot more deflect chance than parry chance (I would say deflect is around 150% the parry chance)
when I hit 80 on Beta attacks got deflected around 5% to 10% of the time (when hitting 3 mobs with HotR and every 10th attack is deflected (on the 4th HotR) you notice it alot),
and with my equip getting better and some more expertise I cant see many deflects anymore, parrys are pushed down as well.

Parry + dodge chance lumped together?

Try testing on a (boss) dummy with no expertise and then add on a certain amount of expertise. If it gets double-reduced then this is probably the case.
Kellann - Uther
Kellann

Re: Attack Deflected

Postby Macha » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:01 pm

MonkH wrote:i noticed on PTR getting, attacks have been Deflected

02:19:03, Daeden's |Hspell:53595:SPELL_MISSED Hammer of the Righteous was deflected by |Hunit:0xF1300079A8001A28:Grandmaster's Training DummyGrandmaster's Training Dummy.

how can a training dummie deflect ur attack? :p
can u reduce the chance ur attacks get deflected?

SSC Mushrooms can not only dispel or parry, they can also fully block 2H attacks from Retri Paladins.
So it doesn't surprise me at all that training dummies can deflect ^^
Macha

Re: Attack Deflected

Postby solina » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:26 pm

Macha wrote:
MonkH wrote:i noticed on PTR getting, attacks have been Deflected

02:19:03, Daeden's |Hspell:53595:SPELL_MISSED Hammer of the Righteous was deflected by |Hunit:0xF1300079A8001A28:Grandmaster's Training DummyGrandmaster's Training Dummy.

how can a training dummie deflect ur attack? :p
can u reduce the chance ur attacks get deflected?

SSC Mushrooms can not only dispel or parry, they can also fully block 2H attacks from Retri Paladins.
So it doesn't surprise me at all that training dummies can deflect ^^

If the attack tables actually made any coherent sense, bear druids would be able to block. Or NPC bears wouldn't.
solina

Postby ziggyunderslashone » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:54 am

I spent two hours attacking level 80 elite Niffelem Frost Giants with a premade beta paladin, spamming judgement, hotr and shr whenever available.

There wasn't a deflect in the entire log. The only time I've seen it was attacking the level 80 and boss target dummies (which sadly seem to have dissapeared) with a level 72 paladin. I'm starting to think its a glance mechanism.

Does anyone have evidence to the contrary? Are we seeing it in 5 mans on 80 elites? In naxx on bosses?

Edit: This evening, I will mostly be assualting Anachronos.
ziggyunderslashone

Postby Carnegie » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:48 am

I had just gotten off the boat in Northrend to start my quests at lvl 70 and had a deflect from the ghouls in the farm. I was trying to hit it with HotR and got the message "deflect". As far as I know there isn't much, if any, level difference between us.
Carnegie

Postby ziggyunderslashone » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:52 am

Carnegie wrote:I had just gotten off the boat in Northrend to start my quests at lvl 70 and had a deflect from the ghouls in the farm. I was trying to hit it with HotR and got the message "deflect". As far as I know there isn't much, if any, level difference between us.

Strange question: Was it the primary or secondary target that deflected?
ziggyunderslashone

Postby Snake-Aes » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:55 am

ziggyunderslashone wrote:
Carnegie wrote:I had just gotten off the boat in Northrend to start my quests at lvl 70 and had a deflect from the ghouls in the farm. I was trying to hit it with HotR and got the message "deflect". As far as I know there isn't much, if any, level difference between us.

Strange question: Was it the primary or secondary target that deflected?
It can happen with either IIRC, but I can't test from here to be sure of that.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby ziggyunderslashone » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:06 am

Ya, I'm trying to find a pattern to observations. So far the only times I've seen it are on the boss totem in dalaran and once during a nexus run.

Unless I've been bizarrely lucky its not fitting the "ranged parry" role. But then my evidence is just as anecdotal as any other.

I'll do some loggin' this evening.
ziggyunderslashone

Postby Norrath » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:15 am

The answer is simple. Deflect isn't a ranged parry. :p

A ranged attack table can simply include Deflect instead of Parry.

x_1% Miss
x_2% Dodge
x_3% Deflect
x_4% Block
x_5% Crit
x_6% Hit
Norrath

Postby Snake-Aes » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:17 am

Norrath wrote:The answer is simple. Deflect isn't a ranged parry. :p

A ranged attack table can simply include Deflect instead of Parry.

x_1% Miss
x_2% Dodge
x_3% Deflect
x_4% Block
x_5% Crit
x_6% Hit
That's likely. Dunno how blizz accounts for it though. I wonder how expertise will fare?
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to WotLK