Imp Righteous Fury to 10%

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Fridmarr » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:47 am

Mortehl wrote:/sigh.

Please post something informative or useful instead of stuff like this.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Lore » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:02 am

One all-too-frequently overlooked caveat is that in any realistic situation where 4% extra damage reduction would have saved a Tankadin, Ardent Defender would have saved them as well.

Incidentally this is also why skipping AD is silly.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby honorshammer » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:04 am

Lore wrote:One all-too-frequently overlooked caveat is that in any realistic situation where 4% extra damage reduction would have saved a Tankadin, Ardent Defender would have saved them as well.

Incidentally this is also why skipping AD is silly.

I had not thought about that. Although, after our last RoS kill, I looked to see a message from my Tankadin mod that said Ardent Defender saved xx,xxx damage out of xxx,xxx damage and averted 1 death.

My guild never even knew that AD saved the day.
honorshammer

Postby Lore » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:08 am

That's kind of how AD is, and why it's so horribly underrated. It doesn't have to save you every time to be good.

That said, spending 5 talent points to make up a 4% difference is probably not idea. AD has the extra lifesaving utility (more mitigation when you need it, at least in theory), and with DP is actually fairly awesome, so that probably makes up for it.

I certainly wouldn't mind an extra 4% damage reduction, but I don't really feel it's necessary.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Strom » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:20 am

I would rather they spend their time and effort on giving us a couple new cool talents to set us apart from the other tanks. Also I would not mind if they spent some time figuring out what kind of weapon they want us tanking with.
Strom

Postby Lore » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:25 am

With the HotR change, I don't see any reason not to use a defensive physical tanking weapon unless you desperately need more threat.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Mex » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:25 am

Aleriya wrote:Raise your hand if you've tanked a progression boss and realized during the fight that your Righteous Fury is/is about to be gone.

/raise

Tanked Illidan to ~80% without it, then glanced at Omen and saw 600 TPS and very quickly put it up.

As far as making imp RF 10% I don't really agree. I think Lore's right in that AD more than makes up for it, and additionally helps to set us apart from the other tanks.

The bottom line is that the tanking classes will _never_ be equal, unless you simply clone all their abilities and rename them (a la Warcraft 2 hehe). The goal should be to make sure that all tanking classes are viable, as opposed to simply being carbon copies of one-another.
Mex

Postby Fridmarr » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:40 am

Mex wrote:
Aleriya wrote:Raise your hand if you've tanked a progression boss and realized during the fight that your Righteous Fury is/is about to be gone.

/raise

Tanked Illidan to ~80% without it, then glanced at Omen and saw 600 TPS and very quickly put it up.

As far as making imp RF 10% I don't really agree. I think Lore's right in that AD more than makes up for it, and additionally helps to set us apart from the other tanks.

The bottom line is that the tanking classes will _never_ be equal, unless you simply clone all their abilities and rename them (a la Warcraft 2 hehe). The goal should be to make sure that all tanking classes are viable, as opposed to simply being carbon copies of one-another.

We are viable, but you need to have a rough equality and it can be done without making them copies.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Spectrum » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:17 pm

/raises hand

There have been so many times I've done an instance or raid and asked myself "why are they riding my ass on aggro today?" Then realized later that RF wasn't up.

Since I got tankadin I hardly have the problem anymore. Yay highly-visible screen flashing.
Spectrum
Maintankadonor

Postby Sark » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:43 pm

perhaps not rf

stick it into guarded by the light to keep it from the ret paladins
Sark

Postby Usul » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:15 pm

Ever since Pally Power introduced it I've never had an issue, but I used to forget it before.

Although, I certainly /sign for the increase to 10% damage reduction.
Usul <The Fabled> of Hyjal (US)
Usul

Postby fuzzygeek » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:22 pm

I've got PowerAura set up to put a big warning sign if RF is off at any time, and a gigantic pulsing flashing skull if I ever have salv. I've had RF drop off in the middle of a fight, but since I've taken to spamming it during free GCDs on progression fights, that's become pretty rare.

That being said, it would be nice if it decreased our incoming damage more than it does -- not tying it into threat gives us the option to leave it off during mana starvation situations.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby moduspwnens » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:14 pm

Well, if AD is our answer for the extra 4%, then what is our answer for Last Stand? Surely nobody would argue that they'd rather have AD than both, so which is it?
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby Kevrok » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:10 pm

Our answer to Last Stand is now Lay on Hands, which I personally prefer
The customer is always wrong, but you must treat them as if they're right
Kevrok

Postby moduspwnens » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:29 pm

Kevrok wrote:Our answer to Last Stand is now Lay on Hands, which I personally prefer

Well, I guess you could argue that. The cooldown is 4x as long, though.
I rule.
moduspwnens

PreviousNext

Return to WotLK