Leveling Weapon Skill in Wrath

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Leveling Weapon Skill in Wrath

Postby Sabindeus » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:30 pm

Now if only they'd just remove weapon skill from the game

edit: note that this is in response to the immortal target dummies in dalaran not granting weapon skill
Last edited by Sabindeus on Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Fridmarr » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:37 pm

InspiredOgre wrote:
Sabindeus wrote:Now if only they'd just remove weapon skill from the game

-sigh- why? for all the bitching of dumbing down the game, how would this help anyone?

Because it's yet another tedious grind. It's not fun at all and adds nothing to the game.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby PsiVen » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:18 pm

How exactly is it dumbing down the game to remove a bullshit grind? They don't have to remove it, just make it level about 20 times faster. The skill rate of slow weapons is just plain stupid.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Levantine » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:20 pm

The thought of leveling 2 handed weapons is the only thing stopping me from leveling a Paladin or Warrior.
Levantine

Postby caboom » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:27 pm

macro programs that jump every 5 mins are the key, that and the imortal mobs at the dark portal..
caboom

Postby InspiredOgre » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:31 pm

caboom wrote:macro programs that jump every 5 mins are the key, that and the imortal mobs at the dark portal..

Doesent work after 3.0.

I dont have a problem changing the rates of learning, hell, I dont even have a problem with the skills auto-leveling, or any number of options.

I do have a problem with the removal of weapon skill mechanics, which is what I thought we were talking about.
InspiredOgre

Postby PsiVen » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:47 pm

AFK bots are completely unnecessary. As long as you're in combat you can't autolog. I left myself attacking Azaloth overnight for about 6 hours and went from 350 to 399. No, not even 400.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Norrath » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:55 pm

They need to get rid of that tedious grind. It adds literally nothing to the game.
Norrath

Postby lusisia » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:50 am

PsiVen wrote:How exactly is it dumbing down the game to remove a bullshit grind? They don't have to remove it, just make it level about 20 times faster. The skill rate of slow weapons is just plain stupid.

I don't mind the skill grind but you're right. The rate is insanely stupid. In ultima online, they actually provided the training dummies so you COULD level up weapon skill. Sure it promoted a bit of the unattended macroing but it didn't mean you got your ass handed to you for 2 hours while trying to level up axes or something stupid.

Side note, you also got skill gains in something like axes when you were using your harvesting skill. In UO of course.
"then somehow people manage not to see the forty fucking foot tall of fucking fiery flames of fucking doom ... and we wipe." - Isolfr
"It turns out that a large number of people are whiny motherfuckers ..." - PsiVen
lusisia
Maintankadonor

Postby Martie » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:08 am

Heh, this is so funny to read for me.

I play Darkages, and in there, you can become a 'master' once you have reached the highest level and trained certain skills to their max.
The most famous skill of all is a skill that's nigh useless in normal play, yet takes 100 hours of constant use to max.

Of course, many, many skills you want maxed because they are good, but the mastering skills are the work of legend.

And here we complain (rightfully, I might add) about skills that take a few hours to max.
I'm about to drop the hammer...
...and dispense some indiscriminate justice!

This is my armory profile
Martie

Postby Grimmal » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:18 am

I'm about to turn 68 and will be equipping the rare 2H mace that sells on the AH. I have never used a 2H mace on this paladin yet. I'm already sighing...

On the other hand, I got bored and played one of my alts this weekend. A level 44 hunter who had a dagger skill of 1. Equipped two and about 30 minutes later he was 3 points shy of max. While being able to xp on level appropiate mobs...

I'm still not sure what purpose weapon skill serves really in the long run. Besides being a pain to level at times, is there really any reason for it to be there or at least not just autolevel?
Grimmal

Postby Sharlos » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:23 am

weapon skill itself exists to detirmine glancing blows and governs your base chance to miss/be dodged/parried.

As for not auto maxing, no there is no reason.
Sharlos

Postby InspiredOgre » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:24 am

Grimmal wrote:I'm about to turn 68 and will be equipping the rare 2H mace that sells on the AH. I have never used a 2H mace on this paladin yet. I'm already sighing...

On the other hand, I got bored and played one of my alts this weekend. A level 44 hunter who had a dagger skill of 1. Equipped two and about 30 minutes later he was 3 points shy of max. While being able to xp on level appropiate mobs...

I'm still not sure what purpose weapon skill serves really in the long run. Besides being a pain to level at times, is there really any reason for it to be there or at least not just autolevel?

I advise you to go, before 3.0, and get this pally skilled up on all possible weapons on the servant mobs. Grab the weapon, judge light, and AFK....
InspiredOgre

Postby Sechs » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:30 am

I think its there to stop you from switching out your lvl25 mace to that awesome new lvl 50 sword you just got from a quest.
Probably to stop ppl from doing silly quest they "shouldn't" be doing everyone knows swords are for warriors. :p
Sechs

Postby Sabindeus » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:53 am

InspiredOgre wrote:
caboom wrote:macro programs that jump every 5 mins are the key, that and the imortal mobs at the dark portal..

Doesent work after 3.0.

I dont have a problem changing the rates of learning, hell, I dont even have a problem with the skills auto-leveling, or any number of options.

I do have a problem with the removal of weapon skill mechanics, which is what I thought we were talking about.

if by "weapon skill mechanics" you mean the entire wow combat system, then no, we weren't talking about that.

I want them to get rid of the part where your weapon skill can be less than 5*level and you need to hit things to improve it.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Next

Return to WotLK