Remove Advertisements

Holy Paladins the best healer in the game

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Grimmal » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:00 pm

Tbh, I wouldn't want to see a max level talent being balanced around having a shaman in 10/25 mans. It still needs to serve a valid purpose in 5 man content and atm I don't really see it.

With a few tweaks I can still see it being completely amazing, but those tweaks shouldn't include adjusting it around use with other class abilities.
Grimmal

Postby Arthaal » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:21 pm

To me, if anything, I could see it being more useful in a 5man or 10man setting actually... when solo healing, the half-assed/not quite AoE healing of BoL might actually serve... in any situation where you have a priest or shaman why bother. Even in a 5 man setting however, I wouldn't cast it at a 1200 mana cost.
Infusion of Light: Light's Grace v2.0 - but random.
Arthaal

Postby Sharlos » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:31 pm

Regardless of how useful Spirit Link is, we have Hand of Sacrifice, making this fairly useful.
Sharlos

Postby Pizbit » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:21 am

Shamans best healers in the game!!

--- Spirit link: http://wotlk.wowhead.com/?spell=51567

--- Earth shield: http://wotlk.wowhead.com/?spell=49284
--- Watershield )The caster is surrounded by 3 globes of water, granting 100 mana per 5 sec. When a spell, melee or ranged attack hits the caster, 400 mana is restored to the caster. This expends one water globe. Only one globe will activate every few seconds. Lasts 10 min. Only one Elemental Shield can be active on the Shaman at any one time.)
+ glyph for 3 extra water shield charges
+ http://wotlk.wowhead.com/?spell=16198
+ http://wotlk.wowhead.com/?spell=51881

--- Chain heal + * Glyph - Chain Heal 01 (Shaman) (Class: Shaman) - Your Chain Heal heals 1 additional target.
+ http://wotlk.wowhead.com/?spell=51994 (not max rank, hasn't been made)
+ * Glyph - Earthliving Weapon 01 (Shaman) (Class: Shaman) - Increases the chance for your Earthliving weapon to trigger by 5%.
+ http://wotlk.wowhead.com/?spell=51566
+ lots of crit from talents
+ http://wotlk.wowhead.com/?spell=51558
+ http://wotlk.wowhead.com/?spell=16240

http://wotlk.wowhead.com/?spell=16190 + * Glyph - Mana Tide 01 (Shaman) (Class: Shaman) - Your Mana Tide Totem grants an additional 1% of each target's maximum mana each time it pulses.

Probably missed stuff, but the point is you can make the case for any healer in wotlk probably :)
I have ADHD and OCD...I keep forgetting to wash my hands.
Pizbit

Postby Pizbit » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:24 am

(Seperate post hah!)

Hardest part for me is to decide which glyphs my shaman will get, I think I'm gonna have to level inscriptions to get another one -.-

* Glyph - Water Shield 01 (Shaman) (Class: Shaman) - Your Water Shield has 3 additional charges.
* Glyph - Healing Wave 01 (Shaman) (Class: Shaman) - Your Healing Wave also heals you for 20% of the healing effect when you heal someone else.
* Glyph - Earthliving Weapon 01 (Shaman) (Class: Shaman) - Increases the chance for your Earthliving weapon to trigger by 5%.
* Glyph - Lesser Healing Wave 01 (Shaman) (Class: Shaman) - Your Lesser Healing Wave heals for 20% more if the target is also affected by your Earth Shield.
* Glyph - Mana Tide 01 (Shaman) (Class: Shaman) - Your Mana Tide Totem grants an additional 1% of each target's maximum mana each time it pulses.
* Glyph - Chain Heal 01 (Shaman) (Class: Shaman) - Your Chain Heal heals 1 additional target.
* Glyph - Healing Stream Totem 01 (Shaman) (Class: Shaman) - Your Healing Stream Totem heals for an additional 20%.
I have ADHD and OCD...I keep forgetting to wash my hands.
Pizbit

Re: Holy Paladins the best healer in the game

Postby Joanadark » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:54 am

Drathian wrote:First, Holy light gets a splash effect.

Then, add Beacon of Light.

Then, add 10% haste from Judgements of the Pure to Light's Grace and your normal spell-haste for lots of fast holy lights. Quick Holy lights combined with instant Holy Lights from Infusion of light.

You Beacon of Light the tank who will get healing = targets you heal around him. Add in extra splash healing from the glyph. A shaman links you to the main tank, you have plate to help you to survive the link, the shaman chain heals the tank and hits targets also getting your splash from holy light.

You gain gobs of mana back from Spiritual Attunement because of the link to keep bombing raids members, which bombs the main tank, while splashing healing all over the raid.

I think that's what Joanadark is getting at.

This.

If you don't think Spirit Link will hold, then Hand of Sacrifice.
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark

Postby Slaav » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:26 am

A note about boss design. At least part of the reason many bosses were strong slow-hitters was because crushing blows were in effect and for warriors and druids at least the risk of tank death to spikes was high since healers didn't have as much time to react. (I'm thinking of prince phase 2).
This meant if they wanted a dual-weilding boss they had to tone his damage down which could end up being less engaging or challenging to the healers (something they don't want). So instead many bosses were two-handers since they could then put more damage into the encounter and keep the healers interested.
Now with crushing blows removed dual-weilders can now have higher damage potential meaning we could be seeing a lot more of them.
Slaav Lvl 70 Paladin - Demon Soul
Slaav

Postby Arthaal » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:47 am

It's all speculation until someone sets foot in a 10/25 man raid environment and gets hit by something big. The wording on the ability specifically indicating it breaking on 30% HP hits suggests to me that it isn't intended to be used on most boss fights however.
Infusion of Light: Light's Grace v2.0 - but random.
Arthaal

Postby Ossuary » Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:28 pm

Me and a shaman friend did some testing and found that the damage leaked through Spirit link is considered magical damage regardless of what it was at first.

Sadly, HoSacrifice is only a 12 second duration for a 2min CD.

Lastly, i see haste as an argumenatively good stat with the base mana cost changes now. As it stands now i don't see a Holy Pally Spamming any Holy lights with them costing roughly 1300 mana a pop.
Ossuary

also

Postby Kurgen » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:23 pm

Also I am not sure i would want my healer to be taking damage, because even if it is magical as the post above me said, wouldn't that stand a chance of pushing back his spell cast?
Image Image
Kurgen

Re: also

Postby kylone » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:49 pm

Kurgen wrote:Also I am not sure i would want my healer to be taking damage, because even if it is magical as the post above me said, wouldn't that stand a chance of pushing back his spell cast?

Not with concentration aura up.
Lv 70 Human Paladin Mythi, Emerald Dream
LV 75 Blood Elf Paladin Miere, Lightning Hoof
(deployed, but squeezing out time on 'public' wifi)
kylone

Postby sherck » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:48 am

As a holy paladin, I have to say that I am not in favor of the ideal of intentionally taking damage...

I have a hard enough time keeping my health up when running with Warrior and Druid tanks because they cannot aggro everything and my first heal typically gets me aggro of someone, usually a ranged spell caster.

I can shrug off a couple of 1,500 health hits with no worries but once I get 5k-6k health down, then I have to start healing myself which means I have to go off of my Flash of Light spam and start using much more expensive Holy Light spells instead (currently downranked but that will not be an option in WoTLK).

Divine Illumination helps greatly in this in that I can do a series of Holy Light spells for half cost for 15 seconds which is enough to get myself back up along with the tank and anyone else taking damage, but by then I have so much aggro that the tank has to truely work to get the mobs stuck back on them. If I don't have a good tank that notices that I have aggo....sigh, then it is a BoP or DS on myself losing my Blessing of Wisdom in the process and a couple of GCD in which I again am not casting FoL on the tank and have to resort to HL to keep him up.

The longer I can keep the FoL spam on the main tank before resorting to HL, the better.

I like the change to Beacon of Light. The Holy Paladin has to play "wack a mole" on healing and if someone besides the tank is taking damage, then getting a "free" heal on the tank while at the same time healing a DPS with aggo (or myself) is brillant. Saved mana, saved GCD, happy healing Paladin.

The longer than I can play FoL spam, the better. The main reason that I have to resort to HL is because I have to go heal a DPS/myself and then I "lose ground" with the tank's health. Get a heal on the tank while at the same time getting a heal on the DPS? Heck yes!!

Obviously, for those who know me, I am only level 69 and am not yet raiding. Raiders tell me that I will never cast FoL in a raid so my experience is from 5-mans.

From the pulls in Shadow Labs between the first and second bosses, I can see that. Those are currently my hardest pulls and I cannot waste time with FoL because they just don't heal enough to keep the tank alive.

BTW, any advice on downing the 2nd boss in SL? That guy is killing any party I have taken in there (three of them at the moment).

Cheers,
sherck

2nd boss

Postby Kurgen » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:31 am

Blackheart wasa huge pain in the rearfor us until we outgeared him, find a guild if you don't have one, if you do just keep plugging away until you get the gear, also being 70 will help too, especially if your tank is not 70, thenhe will be eating crushes too.
Image Image
Kurgen

Previous

Return to WotLK