Hit Rating Revisions

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Hit Rating Revisions

Postby Arsyn » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:53 am

Are there any revisions on the hit rating required in WOTLK? Now that we have two active melee abilities, we need them to actually hit to generate aggro. I am assuming we have to follow the 9% guideline taken from Cromfel's site for equipping one weapon (6% with Precision).
Arsyn

Postby Sharlos » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:09 am

precision is gone in WotLK.

And I think it will work like Warriors, you will aim towards the hit cap, but in tank gear, you will have a lot of trouble reaching it.
Sharlos

Postby Mithos » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:29 am

Hit is probably more important in WotLK, but expertise will always be more efficient per rating so I lean towards that. But yeah being hit capped in tank gear is hard to get but nice.
Mithos

Postby Origon » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:39 am

Question for those in beta. What's the actual rating to hit % conversion? the sticky reads 32.8rating for 1% hit and 26.3% spellhit for 1%. I thought they were the same stat basically now. Is one of them wrong or am I just confused on the matter?

Also, what hit rating would we need to cap out with a 1h / 2h now? (curious for a ret spec)
Origon

Postby Ashmadai » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:42 am

Mithos wrote:Hit is probably more important in WotLK, but expertise will always be more efficient per rating so I lean towards that. But yeah being hit capped in tank gear is hard to get but nice.

Expertise was more efficient per point in TBC. I question if this will be the case in WotLK, because hit now effects everything we do. Hit is going to reduce misses on all the physical stuff but also judgement resists, so it may overtake Expertise. I guess only time will tell, but we'll basically just be getting them the way Warriors have, through whatever tanking gear has some thrown on it.
Ashmadai

Postby Mithos » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:56 am

Ah yes, spell hit from "hit" now too. Still, 4 expertise rating is +0.5% chance to hit basically, which is far more efficient than hit rating. The ratings in WotLK are "double and add a bit", so something like 8.4 expertise rating is 0.5% hit. Expertise will probably be a bit better but not have the huge lead it does now.
Mithos

Postby moduspwnens » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:04 am

Ashmadai wrote:
Mithos wrote:Hit is probably more important in WotLK, but expertise will always be more efficient per rating so I lean towards that. But yeah being hit capped in tank gear is hard to get but nice.

Expertise was more efficient per point in TBC. I question if this will be the case in WotLK, because hit now effects everything we do. Hit is going to reduce misses on all the physical stuff but also judgement resists, so it may overtake Expertise. I guess only time will tell, but we'll basically just be getting them the way Warriors have, through whatever tanking gear has some thrown on it.

We also have two more things that can be dodged and parried now (I'd assume), HotR and SotR. Expertise should still be top dog, I think.
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby Mithos » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:19 am

Wasn't there something about ShoR not able to be dodged of parried? I read that noone had ever seen a dodge or parry on it but that wasn't anythign concrete. It will affect Hammer though, but hit will affect judgement. Expertise will probably still be on top, but hit won't be so far behind anymore.
Mithos

Postby Elsie » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:29 am

Supposedly:
expertise: white hits, hammer of the righteous, shield of the righteous
hit: all of the above, judgment

I'm pretty sure vengeance stacks are uneffected by hit rating beyond application.
Elsie

Postby earanduin » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:32 am

Assuming Blizzard looked to scale expertise and hit rating similarly in their conversion to expertise and hit% respectively, then expertise rating will remain superior to hit rating. Just get the Glyph giving 8% hit to Righteous Defense (i.e. the base miss rate of 9% becomes 1% with the glyph), and start using expertise when building a threat set.
earanduin

Postby Kayoto » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:44 am

Ashmadai wrote: Hit is going to reduce misses on all the physical stuff but also judgement resists, so it may overtake Expertise.

Judgements in WotLK are treated as ranged attacks and thus cannot be resisted.

Nor can they be dodged or parried (probably blocked though, and possibly 'deflected,' whatever the hell that means -- I haven't heard anything definitive on deflected attacks yet). So once you've capped your hit, your Judgements will always go through.
Kayoto

Postby Melathys » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:07 am

I expect http://www.wowhead.com/?item=34472 to become a much more standard piece of equipment when our abilities scale with AP.

and I thought I was done with that place. sigh
Melathys

Postby Noradin » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:10 am

Kayoto wrote:
Ashmadai wrote: Hit is going to reduce misses on all the physical stuff but also judgement resists, so it may overtake Expertise.

Judgements in WotLK are treated as ranged attacks and thus cannot be resisted.

Nor can they be dodged or parried (probably blocked though, and possibly 'deflected,' whatever the hell that means -- I haven't heard anything definitive on deflected attacks yet). So once you've capped your hit, your Judgements will always go through.

deflected = "parried" for ranged attacks
ImageImage
Noradin

Postby Kayoto » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:54 am

Noradin wrote:
deflected = "parried" for ranged attacks

So, in WotLK, all ranged attacks can miss, and can be parried, but not dodged?

That seems.. odd, to say the least. Oh well.
Kayoto

Postby Flex » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:56 am

Noradin wrote:deflected = "parried" for ranged attacks

Deflect isn't that exactly. No one is quite sure what it does.

My guess it is when a spell effect is on a melee table it can be deflected negating the spell from landing.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Next

Return to WotLK