Remove Advertisements

Posts on the beta forums

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Ubung » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:51 am

The problem is that tying a spell interrupt or silencing ability into Holy Shield simply gimps the other two specs. Unlike most people I've come across on the beta forums, I'm not willing to gimp additional specs by giving something that should really be baseline to the class.

Good point, we def need an interupt though.
nerf scissors, buff paper, rock is fine!

Ubung

Postby Macha » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:24 am

The problem is that tying a spell interrupt or silencing ability into Holy Shield simply gimps the other two specs

This assumes that the other two specs need that interrupt, which is not the case. There are not too few interrupts in the game, but too many. It is already too easy to lock down healers except druids - and a druid is not hampered much by spell interrupts anyway.

We do not need an interrupt either, by the way. The only time where an interrupt is really needed for us is when pulling. No suggestion in this thread remedies that.

Prot getting an interrupt would gimp the other specs much like it gimps prot that Ret has a deep-ret damage reduction, or that Holy has an AOE Heal.
Macha

Postby lusisia » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:34 am

Macha wrote:
The problem is that tying a spell interrupt or silencing ability into Holy Shield simply gimps the other two specs

This assumes that the other two specs need that interrupt, which is not the case. There are not too few interrupts in the game, but too many. It is already too easy to lock down healers except druids - and a druid is not hampered much by spell interrupts anyway.

We do not need an interrupt either, by the way. The only time where an interrupt is really needed for us is when pulling. No suggestion in this thread remedies that.

Prot getting an interrupt would gimp the other specs much like it gimps prot that Ret has a deep-ret damage reduction, or that Holy has an AOE Heal.

I disagree but that's what discussion is for - give and take. In PvP, Retribution and Holy both have issues that don't really plague any other class.

Holy - Single school lockout. Having to feint a heal just to draw a lockout so I can cast when I actually need to cast, sucks ass.

Without an actual HoT of some kind, Holy really is the last string of healer. Get kicked, pummeled, silenced or have elventynine stacks of mind numbing poison and you're pretty much dead in the water.

Maybe the increased viability of Holy Shock in the xpac will help in this regard but I don't know.

Ret - Not enough burst to break through a healer.

I watched a video from a decent ret pally the other day that got owned by a holy priest simply because he just could not stop the heals outside of Repentance and Hammer. If he had been Horde, Arcane Torrent would have saved the day but he wasn't. In the end, he was reduced to auto-attacking.

Now mind you, with the ret changes, we may see that this isn't as much of an issue but the lack of snare or silence or interrupt really does hinder the viability of retribution in pvp.
"then somehow people manage not to see the forty fucking foot tall of fucking fiery flames of fucking doom ... and we wipe." - Isolfr
"It turns out that a large number of people are whiny motherfuckers ..." - PsiVen
lusisia
Maintankadonor

Postby Nich » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:44 pm

If you want a spell that every class has access to, for an interrupt, then it comes down to judgements (a la earth shock - so, say, JoJ?), HoJ (long cd makes it a bit gimp), or exorcism (15 sec cd)/holy wrath (30 sec cd).

Personally I think it'd be cool to have an aoe interrupt, but it'd also be cool to have it on a short cooldown. meaning it'd have to be on JoJ (which can't be dispelled before being judged in 3.0), or the possibility of it on both ohly wrath (for the aoe) *and* on exorcism.

Giving us a single target and an aoe interrupt would give us a flavour difference to the other tanks, who tend to have single target and aoe taunts.

(I also think that prot being viable in pvp - even if it needs a respec from pve prot to pvp prot - especially the arena, is a good thing. One of the things that appeals to me about WAR is that their tanks work in PvP by actually being tanks. Even prot warriors are somewhat able to do this, wearing high stam/BV gear, running/intercepting/charging around and providing more ap/hp to their team, reducing the armour and ap of the other team, and, if not doing much damage despite lolshieldslap, they can interupt)
Nich

Postby Selinaria » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:52 pm

Dorvan wrote:That reminds me, I need to read Argentium's stuff. I've never heard of them, but at a *very* brief glance they seem to know what they're talking about (or at least how to make long, well worded posts ;) )

Overall Argentium seems to know what he/she is talking about. I have read through a couple of the posts (managed to make an ass of myself for completely misinterpreting one of them :wink: but I do that from time to time).

Overall I agree with a lot of the suggestions in the prot series of posts. The arguments are fairly well put together in general.

And yes the JotJ guy needs to be hung and quartered.
Selinaria was suddenly surrounded by a gang of sharks, a cracked bat as her only protection!
Selinaria

Previous

Return to WotLK