Question about WotLK tanking...

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Worldie » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:37 am

Clicking... names... effort... cannot... do...
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Grothnir » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:43 am

Whiner :p

C'mon, I re-taught myself to not be a button clicker to improve my tanking (dear lord paladin raid healing pre-BC made me into a lazy player). Mousing over some nameplates isn't going to kill you.
Grothnir

Postby moduspwnens » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:45 am

I wouldn't mind clicking the names if there were an effective UI for doing so. Now, if you hit V (or Shift V, w/e), the nameplates are sliding all over the place. If it were displayed more like Proximo does arena enemies, it'd be a lot easier... especially if those frames showed how many sunders were on each mob.
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby Grothnir » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:51 am

moduspwnens wrote:I wouldn't mind clicking the names if there were an effective UI for doing so. Now, if you hit V (or Shift V, w/e), the nameplates are sliding all over the place. If it were displayed more like Proximo does arena enemies, it'd be a lot easier... especially if those frames showed how many sunders were on each mob.

True, but that's more meaningful for warriors vis a vis sunders than it will be for us. I'm thinking mouseover macros for HotR and Shield of Righteousness will simplify spreading the threat around, and it won't be as significant exactly which mob in the pack takes individual hits, relative to the Sunder execution of same (at least with HotR).
Grothnir

Postby Slaav » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:06 am

Yeah beacuse we can hit multiple targets with it with a mousover macro all we would have to do is point it in the general direction of where we want the threat to go. That actually sounds really fun.
Slaav Lvl 70 Paladin - Demon Soul
Slaav

Postby Girard-eredar » Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:07 am

I use the name plates, if there are lot-o-mobs but still click the hot key buttons.... ./shrug works for me, maybe im just fast iwth the mouse.
Girard-eredar

Postby Bobness » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:13 am

Sadly I must be a Newb........

In mostly Kara/Badge gear & rolling 800 spell power in beta i've had quite a few problems holding aggro in Utgarde/Nexus.

I can't remember ever using the taunt button so much.

The Main Culprits are Ret Paladin's/Deathknights.

Now it could be that they simply aren't holding back, but either way i've felt more like i'm playing a Warrior rather than a Paladin.

Being as i'm in quite average gear compared to most of the people here my mana concerns haven't been that different, i.e I probably could consecrate spam.

For solo work Seal of Wisdom & HOtr are a pretty good means of re-genning mana.

P.S Holy paladin's i've grouped with so far spend a lot of time drinking..
Bobness

Postby Sharlos » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:28 am

Bobness wrote:Sadly I must be a Newb........

In mostly Kara/Badge gear & rolling 800 spell power in beta i've had quite a few problems holding aggro in Utgarde/Nexus.

Now it could be that they simply aren't holding back, but either way i've felt more like i'm playing a Warrior rather than a Paladin.

Being as i'm in quite average gear compared to most of the people here my mana concerns haven't been that different, i.e I probably could consecrate spam.

I imagine those instant holy lights and 10% haste rating don't help.
Sharlos

Postby Selinaria » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:53 am

Sharlos wrote:
Bobness wrote:Sadly I must be a Newb........

I imagine those instant holy lights and 10% haste rating don't help.

More like the fact that illumination is bugged and returns no mana :cry:

I have healed all the instances as well as tanked them, it aint fun trying to keep people alive when your main efficiency talent is useless. :wink:

Not like I really need to do much more than spam FoL though since I would never spec for beacon in it's current from and + spell power from sheath of light along with the hot on crit heals are awesome. Highest sheath HOT tick thus far: 2200. 1400 + spell power as holy would probably make for some good soloing times too :) Although I have only specced holy for instances thus far.
Selinaria was suddenly surrounded by a gang of sharks, a cracked bat as her only protection!
Selinaria

Postby VikrumthePally » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:07 am

This will be fun. I hardly have great gear but c'mon heroics are so freaking easy right now.

Outside MGT, and BF (who goes in there?) there is no skill needed whatsoever. I keep trying to convince my wife to play my pally while I play her Spriest. Even though she's never played one I am like I just hit 2-3 buttons over and over you'll be fine.

So it's pull, drop one consecrate, hotr, tab hotr (making sure it's not one of the 3 you already hit) and profit?

With SoR and taunt I don't see how aggro could be an issue.

Again just takes a bit of skill. Heck you can even start practicing now. Try holding aggro with only dropping one consecrate.

Just my opinion of course.
VikrumthePally

Postby Dragonzbane » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:58 am

Bobness wrote:

If those are the main offenders then I wouldn't worry too much.
Dragonzbane

Postby Borknagar » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:24 am

Ye, so I'm used to the face-rolling easy mode from BC. (In MH I just hit 4,5,4,5,4,5 (consecrate, HS) while watching TV on trash).

My experience in Beta is the same as many of you report. Holding aggro in Wrath requires more skill, more alertness and more actually watching the mobs. I dont mind the change, but I might have to face the fact I now need to start using maybe mouseover macros. This is a whole new thing for me. Was wondering if anyone had some good mouseover macros to post here for me. Especially thinking of a HotR macro. And maybe at the same time a Judgement macro doing the same thing, to spread them around a bit too.
Borknagar

Previous

Return to WotLK