Remove Advertisements

“Guarded by the Light” vital, useful or questionable talent?

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

“Guarded by the Light” vital, useful or questionable talent?

Postby delar » Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:29 pm

“Guarded by the Light” a vital, useful or maybe questionable talent?

The protection talent “Guarded by the Light” reduced mana cost of consecration, holy wrath and avenger shield by 15/30% for 2 talent points.

My first reaction was that this talent was a must have but after reading on numerous threads about consecration’s decreased role in normal tanking rotations I'm not sure if this is as vital as it initially seemed. Since avenger shield is pretty much a pulling spell which recently had its mana cost reduced and is not repeatedly cast during a fight so is the mana saved of much consequence? Holy wrath is nice but again how often are you going to use this ability in the big scheme of things?

So is “Guarded by the Light” a vital, useful or maybe questionable talent when you sit down and thinks about it?
delar

Postby Norrath » Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:45 pm

Due to Consecration's lower priority, it's definitely not a must-have. It still looks really good, though.

It's useful bordering on questionable, I'd say.
Norrath

Postby Valentear » Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:47 pm

I think it's all of these, depending on your role as a tanker. As MT, I'm sure there will not be a lot of mana issues you will have to deal with. Even here, however, you can pump out a lot more threat if you have more mana to deal with, making the talent useful.

If you're OTing and trying to remain second on the threat list, I daresay that the talent is vital, as you don't get a lot of mana back from Spiritual Attunment.

What the real question should be is, "What is or is not worth sacrificing the 2 points for this talent?"
Valentear

Postby Holyfuri » Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:47 pm

Norrath wrote:It's useful bordering on questionable, I'd say.
Holyfuri

Postby Amran20 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:55 pm

Worth the two points... hmm.

Well, with the spec I've got, I could take 2 points out of Guarded and plop them into Imp. Judgement, or put 1 more point into Imp HS to get back to 8 charges, or dump them both in Reckoning to go 4/5 Reck for more uptime.

Choices, choices, my friends... all depends if SA will give me enough mana back. For shit like Felmyst adds, I would DEFINATELY want Guarded. However, that advantage is reduced tremendously by Pally Evocate. For shit like Brutallus, there is just no need for Guarded, because no matter what you do, I don't care if you have mana leaking out every hole in your body, it will come back faster.

How very situational this talent is...

“Time is too slow for those who wait, too swift for those who fear, too long for those who grieve, too short for those who rejoice, but for those who love, time is eternity.”
Amran20

Postby PsiVen » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:00 pm

Vital for sanity when OT, trash, farming... None of that you magically stop doing when you MT a lot. Yeah, I might respec for the next Brutallus, but it's going in my standard tank spec. I guess that would make it Vital in my book, but nearly every talent is situational.
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Amran20 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:15 pm

Honestly, trash tanking Psiven, unless I'm doing a really heavy AoE, I don't think I'll use Consecrate much. Rely on HotR and SoV for 3+ targets, with the occasional Consecrate if mana permits.

Offtanking I agree, though I think Hand of Sacrifice SHOULD give us enough mana regen to avoid having to spec into this talent.

Farming as well, I think a HotR + SoV spam should really do the trick, or, if you feel particularly spicy, SoW + HotR to rapidly regen mana plus Consecrate spam for those situations with 10-20 mobs.

“Time is too slow for those who wait, too swift for those who fear, too long for those who grieve, too short for those who rejoice, but for those who love, time is eternity.”
Amran20

Postby aureon » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:17 pm

i'd say useful, if not vital.
last time i checked, AS was going to be a 0.5sec cast, with a bit of tricks you can get it between 2 boss swings, just need an addon that monitores boss' swing time.
aureon

Postby Worldie » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:19 pm

Vital for leveling.
Very good (c) for offtanking.
Unknown if it'll be needed for main tanking since we don't know the average DPS on tanks.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Lieris » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:33 pm

For a talent so deep in our (bloated) tree I think it sucks. Do not want.
Lieris
Maintankadonor

Postby Soltyr » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:23 pm

Worldie wrote:Vital for leveling.
Very good (c) for offtanking.
Unknown if it'll be needed for main tanking since we don't know the average DPS on tanks.

Talking about tanking, Bliz has pointed out (more than one time) the difference between the occasional D&C and the Consacration supposed to be spammed by the paladin.
This just let me wonder...
Soltyr

Postby Worldie » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:47 pm

They're going to nerf D&D since for how it is now, it's stupid.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Sarkan-ZdC » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:09 am

Worldie wrote:They're going to nerf D&D since for how it is now, it's stupid.

What is D&D? (Roleplaying Game, ok..)
Sarkan-ZdC

Postby Rehlachs- » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:24 am

http://wotlk.wowhead.com/?spell=49938

deathknight tanking etc..
Rehlachs-

Postby Sarkan-ZdC » Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:07 am

I don't fear Deathknight AoE Tanking. Shield and Shieldblock gets very strong with a lot of enemies. They can create a lot of AoE Threat? Good, so can Warlocks and Mages..

Right now, the get random damage in. And trust me, that is not something you want as a tank :)

Anyhow, one mage is going Deathknight with the addon. But not MT, more Feral (Damage and some tanking..)
Sarkan-ZdC

Return to WotLK