Remove Advertisements

Raiding Naxx in Tier 6? Def Problem!

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Prinsesa » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:41 am

That would be exactly why they removed Defense from talents completely: If we as tanks get the basic requirement of uncrittability dealt with via gear and our threat generation is made baseline, then it stands to reason that we will be able to decently tank without speccing into the tree.

As for making it simpler for tanks to gear: It will be. Your only real requirement is hitting the defense cap. If you need more threat, stack STR. If you need more survivability, stack STA.

I don't think there will even be a lot of choice regarding gear in the first place - I'd be surprised if there will be more than 2 choices per itemization tier.
US - Echo Isles - Prinsesa
Prinsesa

Postby Mortehl » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:51 am

Prinsesa wrote:That would be exactly why they removed Defense from talents completely: If we as tanks get the basic requirement of uncrittability dealt with via gear and our threat generation is made baseline, then it stands to reason that we will be able to decently tank without speccing into the tree.

As for making it simpler for tanks to gear: It will be. Your only real requirement is hitting the defense cap. If you need more threat, stack STR. If you need more survivability, stack STA.

I don't think there will even be a lot of choice regarding gear in the first place - I'd be surprised if there will be more than 2 choices per itemization tier.

For us there will always need to be 3. Healing gear is not ret gear is not tanking gear.

For warriors, there will always need to be 3. Arms crit gear is not fury ap gear is not prot tanking gear.

For druids there will always need to be 3. Balance gear is not resto gear is not feral gear.

For DK.. meh I have no clue.
Arthas, we're coming for you. (Eventually)
Mortehl

Postby Prinsesa » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:53 am

Mortehl wrote:
Prinsesa wrote:That would be exactly why they removed Defense from talents completely: If we as tanks get the basic requirement of uncrittability dealt with via gear and our threat generation is made baseline, then it stands to reason that we will be able to decently tank without speccing into the tree.

For us there will always need to be 3. Healing gear is not ret gear is not tanking gear.

For warriors, there will always need to be 3. Arms crit gear is not fury ap gear is not prot tanking gear.

For druids there will always need to be 3. Balance gear is not resto gear is not feral gear.

For DK.. meh I have no clue.

You seem to be talking about gear across different specs. I was referring more towards choices between tanking gear.
US - Echo Isles - Prinsesa
Prinsesa

Postby Mortehl » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:55 am

I misinterpreted what you were referring too then. Unfortunately, I agree with you, the choice in gear is going to be unfortunately slim I think.
Arthas, we're coming for you. (Eventually)
Mortehl

Postby PsiVen » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:13 am

That's completely unfounded. We have more homogenized stats, but more sources of gear than ever: more profession BoPs, more Heroic loot, two different 'tiers' in 10/25 man raids, more Badge loot... There is more than enough room for variety and choices including block rating/value. I just don't see all that gear having the same stats, there's no reason for it.

If we as tanks get the basic requirement of uncrittability dealt with via gear and our threat generation is made baseline, then it stands to reason that we will be able to decently tank without speccing into the tree.

Right, but at this point it's not basic. At 70 I was uncrittable in unenchanted level 67 quest reward greens. At 80 the same feat requires 77 blues to be fully gemmed with top-tier enchants. Even without lvl 80 itemization the problem is apparent. I mean, think how fast Dreadnaught got abandoned and how much bigger of a defense gap this is.
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby crabcrouton » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:12 pm

Look at that ring again.

30 Str
46 Stam
17 Def Rating

That's a 1:1:0.5 ratio of item points spent on that item. Defense isn't something we'll be swimming in from the looks of it. There's bound to be some other mechanic change that's incoming to remedy this.
crabcrouton

Previous

Return to WotLK