Remove Advertisements

wotlk? will ret be able to tank at all 70-80?

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

wotlk? will ret be able to tank at all 70-80?

Postby MonkH » Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:40 pm

any thoughts on tanking as ret with new wotlk changes while leveling from 70-80?
Daeden Prot Pala of EU-Frostmane.

Classes also played:
Druid, Warlock, Priest, Warrior, and now Paladin
MonkH

Postby Worldie » Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:41 pm

Considering the current AP->Spelldam and AP+Spelldam scaling of abilities, and Imp RF baseline... by far yes. Maybe better than prot actually.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Morganim » Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:48 pm

Worldie wrote:Considering the current AP->Spelldam and AP+Spelldam scaling of abilities, and Imp RF baseline... by far yes. Maybe better than prot actually.

Im thinking that rets defiately the way for leveling especially if you have a very good prot set you wont even need to bother respeccing for 5 mans
Morganim

Postby fiorina » Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:56 pm

Thats actually a very good question. Let me test it tomorrow.

Problem with instances which are up so far is that they could be tanked by rogue or hunter pet more or less if they have Tier6 :/ There is nothing like original heroic Shattered Halls yet.
fiorina
Maintankadonor

Postby Sarutankah » Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:21 pm

Heck even at level 80...

http://wotlk.wowhead.com/?talent=sZE0zhZxfxt0buAIoxzAo

For normal 5 mans it would be pretty awesome dps to speed stuff up and also mass 2h carnage on caster bosses.

Now there's better aoe threat in ret, why the hell not.

also get nice 1 minute CC as well as normal stun.

Just annoyed I can't go try it out :cry:
Sarutankah

Postby Norrath » Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:18 pm

They can hold threat, sure.

Whether or not they can survive the pounding, though... that's a different matter. ;)
Norrath

Postby Spiggless » Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:37 pm

Sarutankah wrote:Heck even at level 80...

http://wotlk.wowhead.com/?talent=sZE0zhZxfxt0buAIoxzAo

For normal 5 mans it would be pretty awesome dps to speed stuff up and also mass 2h carnage on caster bosses.

Now there's better aoe threat in ret, why the hell not.

also get nice 1 minute CC as well as normal stun.

Just annoyed I can't go try it out :cry:

Some variation of that looks good. We lose out on 16% health, ardent defender, thunderclap, and ranged pulls. But we must gain a huge amount of threat/mana uptime. Oh, we also lose 4% spell dmg reduction in exchange for 3% all dmg reduction. I'm actually excited about this now!

Edit: Plus we double as leet deeps!
Spiggless

Postby Sarutankah » Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:46 pm

With less hp the only major difference... :P

Granted - losing guaranteed blocks on every hit will hurt, I only mentioned Normal 5 mans.

I tank normals as ret at the moment and the only problem is threat without Imp RF - that's going baseline so with a good instant holy threat ability at 75 and an aoe threat/heal component to compliment consecration I think Holy shield and the whole prot tree may be ignored a fair amount by the more casual player.

Of course - blocking 600+damage on every hit is a great thing but with no change in overall avoidance (which is the bitch about speccing ret with prot gear at the moment). and the option of pally cc with repentance actual damage mitigated could work out the same (by taking a mob out of a pull).

It's all purely conjecture at the moment, we wont know anything until beta is done and we are all back to moaning about suicidal mages and pvp geared sl/sl locks with weak dps.
Sarutankah

Postby Norrath » Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:18 am

There is every indication that Blizzard wants people to be able to tank normal 5-mans without spending a single point towards actually tanking. This is for ALL the tanking classes so far, save perhaps druids (who really hurt without Mangle).
Norrath

Postby Spiggless » Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:00 am

We would still be able to learn the new tanking style too. No hammer but divine storm can't be that far off. Maybe the healing from storm could make up for some of the health/block loss? :) Plus crusader strike woot woot!
Spiggless

Postby Zonzede » Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:52 am

Been saying this myself.

And ya know how prot has to keep a bit of softer gear in order to not drin after every pull when running hear they even slightl outgear? REt tanks don't have that problem =D
I dare say, ret is going to be far better for 5s, heroics, and maybe even some 10s.

Oh, and a raid offtanking spec? They can hold a mob or hold 2nd threat no problem, then with a minor gear swap be a full out DPSer again. Non-Maintanadins, Ret might be your new spec.
Zonzede

Postby Lemondish » Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:15 am

I'm also really excited with the possibility of Ret healing in 5 mans. With spell power and crit gear we could see a decent healer from a Ret specced Paladin. It'd be a different playstyle, most likely using Judgments of the Wise with Seal of Righteousness as well as Sheath of Light.
Lemondish

Postby Dorvan » Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:30 am

fiorina wrote:Thats actually a very good question. Let me test it tomorrow.

Problem with instances which are up so far is that they could be tanked by rogue or hunter pet more or less if they have Tier6 :/ There is nothing like original heroic Shattered Halls yet.

I don't remember doing the original H SH at level 67 :P

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Elsie » Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:37 am

My rogue tanked most of utgarde in sunwell gear.
Elsie

Postby Jonlo » Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:50 am

Dorvan wrote:
fiorina wrote:Thats actually a very good question. Let me test it tomorrow.

I don't remember doing the original H SH at level 67 :P

I do...
>_>
Jonlo
Maintankadonor

Next

Return to WotLK