Remove Advertisements

[Video] Leveling Prot

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

[Video] Leveling Prot

Postby d503 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:17 pm

Hey guys. I was a little bored tonight, so I thought I'd make a quick movie showing how quickly and efficiently I'm able to kill stuff in Wrath with my current spec and gear.

Here's the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQM2C5yxdd8

F Vimeo, they took my Video down because it was "gaming" related...so, sorry, all you get is crappy quality youtube.

Here's my spec: Talent Spec - It's not the best, but respecs are a copper, so who cares :P

Let me know if you have any questions!

Tippo
Last edited by d503 on Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
d503
 
Posts: 574
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:31 pm
Location: Northern California, US

Postby Ruex » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:18 pm

Very Cool.
You Beta weilding bastard... I keep checking my jumk mail box to see if blizz sent it there by accident.. so far no such luck...
___________________________________
Mouths to Pay and Bills to Feed.
Ruex
 
Posts: 951
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:40 pm
Location: Pretty Hate Machine, Niagara Falls, Canada

Postby fiorina » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:42 pm

Well, prot.. but in retri gear.

In my opinion it's better to respec retri, find some decent place with insta mob respawn and enjoy 600k rested XP per hour(I will make a video if I have time). It would take just 1 port and 1 copper to respec prot for the instance. But indeed, some people enjoy 50k XP per hour grind :>
User avatar
fiorina
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 1027
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:07 pm

Postby d503 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:45 pm

fiorina wrote:Well, prot.. but in retri gear.

In my opinion it's better to respec retri, find some decent place with insta mob respawn and enjoy 600k rested XP per hour. It would take just 1 port and 1 copper to respec prot for the instance. But indeed, some people enjoy 50k XP per hour grind :>


I, for one, am not all about trivializing the content just to level as fast as possible. I'd rather go through the motions and enjoy the quests (for some reason, I like leveling...)

That being said, I'm trying to get a feel for what prot pallies are going to be like in Live, and speccing that way so I can better understand and plan for it.

I was never the type of person to sit in BM killing trash to gain levels...that's boring as shit, imho...

Also...I'm sure respecs will go back to their usual cost once beta is over, and I already hate having to respec for PvP. While blizz has mentioned the "two spec" thing, it's not in yet, so I'm not holding my breath...
User avatar
d503
 
Posts: 574
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:31 pm
Location: Northern California, US

Postby roosevelt » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:50 pm

Is that the old judgement of the crusader debuff that goes up on the mob with your judgement of wisdom? I had assumed when they said they took it out and incorporated its effects it just meant they buffed coefficients or spells to compensate. If that is the case then I take it your t5 ret 2 piece bonus (and the librams) will still increase that effect.

You certainly seem to be cutting through the mobs rather quickly, however thats some pretty nice ret gear you're in and the one was level 68. Just curious, but is there a reason you're using a shield other than to pull with? I leveled to 70 as prot with 5/5 reckoning and 2h. Depending on how well ret spec can tank I'm going to go for a spec that can solo without too much downtime and can tank equal level content without too much difficulty.
roosevelt
 
Posts: 215
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:31 pm

Postby fiorina » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:50 pm

nah, you are going to understand hows prot pallies will be in live by doing instances, not by killing crows in retri gear...

I was just trying to suggest, that for the moments like that, quests or solo grind a retri is much better choice. Indeed if someone enjoys leveling (read: spend double amount of time by it) I have no objection and go ahead :)
User avatar
fiorina
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 1027
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:07 pm

Postby Zonzede » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:04 pm

roosevelt wrote:Is that the old judgement of the crusader debuff that goes up on the mob with your judgement of wisdom? I had assumed when they said they took it out and incorporated its effects it just meant they buffed coefficients or spells to compensate. If that is the case then I take it your t5 ret 2 piece bonus (and the librams) will still increase that effect.

You certainly seem to be cutting through the mobs rather quickly, however thats some pretty nice ret gear you're in and the one was level 68. Just curious, but is there a reason you're using a shield other than to pull with? I leveled to 70 as prot with 5/5 reckoning and 2h. Depending on how well ret spec can tank I'm going to go for a spec that can solo without too much downtime and can tank equal level content without too much difficulty.


Sanctified Crusader now applies a separate debuff to grant the 3% crit. This is to prevent stacking of the ability from multiple paladins, and to make the bonus a little more visible.

Hammer of the Righteous requires a 1 hand melee weapon to use.
Image
User avatar
Zonzede
 
Posts: 439
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:56 am

Postby roosevelt » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:06 pm

Zonzede wrote:
Hammer of the Righteous requires a 1 hand melee weapon to use.





:cry:
roosevelt
 
Posts: 215
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:31 pm

Postby Spiggless » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:13 pm

This excites me greatly how easy it was for you to kill him. My ret set is about t5 level so it should be great.
User avatar
Spiggless
 
Posts: 113
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:10 pm

Postby d503 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:35 pm

roosevelt wrote:You certainly seem to be cutting through the mobs rather quickly, however thats some pretty nice ret gear you're in and the one was level 68. Just curious, but is there a reason you're using a shield other than to pull with?


I'm primarily using a shield b/c of the, albeit trivial, damage mitigation. With the amount of strength I have in my Ret gear, if I manage to block anything (yes, it's rare) I negate the entire hit. I block for about 500 in this gear.

Not to mention that Corruption will stack way faster, and pulling is super easy, as well as HotR and AS.
User avatar
d503
 
Posts: 574
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:31 pm
Location: Northern California, US

Postby Macha » Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:45 am

fiorina wrote:I was just trying to suggest, that for the moments like that, quests or solo grind a retri is much better choice.:)


Hmm. I don't really think so. As Prot, you basically can't overpull. You usually just underpull. Additional adds don't matter. Soloing group quests too :)

On top of it, with beta-prot, we can farm about as fast as Retri can now(slower than Retri in beta, mind). So its definitely fast enough.
Macha
 
Posts: 625
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:50 pm

Postby Forlorn » Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:53 am

Ill try and make a video tomorrow of the same but from a 75+ perspective with Hammer and Shield going. Shield hits pretty damn hard in ret gear and while its still not as good as ret damage its certaintly not something to snicker at.
Image
Forlorn
 
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:54 am
Location: A smll corner of hell

Postby Zumor » Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:19 am

thats on lvl 73, more damage than I thought it will be, at 75 you get the holy slap with the shield, and in a STR gear mixxed with some nice BV defgear from the BC it will push the DPS a bit more, nice

can you usualy keep a high manalevel or do you need to sit down often?
Zumor
 
Posts: 235
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:41 am

Postby d503 » Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:12 am

Zumor wrote:thats on lvl 73, more damage than I thought it will be, at 75 you get the holy slap with the shield, and in a STR gear mixxed with some nice BV defgear from the BC it will push the DPS a bit more, nice

can you usualy keep a high manalevel or do you need to sit down often?


As I said, I rarely need to sit. If I do get low (below half) mana, I just use Divine Plea. If that's on cooldown, I toss on Seal of Wisdom for one fight and I'm at full in no time.
User avatar
d503
 
Posts: 574
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:31 pm
Location: Northern California, US

Postby Hammerjudge » Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:49 pm

That looks a lot better than I had expected.
I am tempted to level as ret until L75; then go prot from there onward. I expect I would have replaced most of my gear by then, plus get a new spell, and still have 5 levels to learn the new tanking style.
Hammerjudge
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 143
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:36 pm


Return to WotLK

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


Remove Advertisements

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest