Remove Advertisements

So what weapon for 3.0?..

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

So what weapon for 3.0?..

Postby halabar » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:39 pm

Let's assume we get 3.0 a month before release.

Given that, and what we know now about new stats, what weapon currently available would be ideal for:

1) tanking?

2) soloing as prot?

3) soloing as ret?..

I guess it depends a lot on if they go and make retroactive changes to exisiting gear, but assuming they don't do that, what weapons will be good?..
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Spiggless » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:41 pm

I'm seeing if I can't get a rising tide and any other warr tank gear that nobody needs. :P
Spiggless

Postby Boldbeard » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:42 pm

The easiest is probably one of the S2 2.6 speed weapons, pick one.
Rexxar, 70 Prot (spec in flux)
Boldbeard

Postby Zx » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:58 pm

Along these lines will anyone be changing their talent build to include the 51 point talents before the Xpac is released?
"For no man lives long when his dreams are dead." - Gene Wolfe
Zx

Postby Markoh » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:01 pm

It's not really the easiest thing to get a hold of but I want to try and pick myself up a muramasa.

http://www.wowhead.com/?item=34214

Nice dps, 2.6 speed, stam, and hit all adds up to a nice tanking weapon. My only question is on how haste will effect any rotations.
Markoh

Postby Zx » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:03 pm

haste probably will not make a large difference because most of our abilities are on CDs anyways. you might be able to change swing timer but thats probably gonna be about it.
"For no man lives long when his dreams are dead." - Gene Wolfe
Zx

Postby Dorvan » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:06 pm

Zx wrote:haste probably will not make a large difference because most of our abilities are on CDs anyways. you might be able to change swing timer but thats probably gonna be about it.

Correct, it won't affect our rotations at all. It would be interesting to find out whether SoR scales with haste. That is, whether the weapon speed used in the calculation of SoR is base weapon speed or weapon speed after haste. I suspect it's the former, which would mean that SoR scales better with haste than SoV does, but I suspect it wouldn't be enough to push SoR past SoV on bosses, making haste mostly likely a poor threat stat for us.

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Markoh » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:06 pm

I didn't think it would have an impact and I'm sure everyone will be "relearning" how to tank anyway so if it did have an impact I guess it would be negligible.
Markoh

Postby halabar » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:17 pm

Boldbeard wrote:The easiest is probably one of the S2 2.6 speed weapons, pick one.

Well, I have the S2 2-hand sword, so getting the S2 mace or something makes sense, just in case. Something to do besides farming motes and mining. :D

halabar

Postby Melathys » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:22 pm

I just picked up the axe from kael in h.mgt. nice speed/dps, agi/stam and a gem slot...with a 15stam gem would give it 30 stamina.

sure, s2 weapon is probably better, but Im figuring on stockpiling honor for the expansion.
Melathys

Postby Mordinm » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:32 pm

For 1) and 2) Armor pen will be mostly wasted on prot gear. Haste is only useful if you use SoR over SoV and even then it won't be great. Slower is better for damage so go as slow as you can find.

For 3) The highest dps two hander you have can get.
Mordinm

Postby halabar » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:32 pm

Melathys wrote:I just picked up the axe from kael in h.mgt. nice speed/dps, agi/stam and a gem slot...with a 15stam gem would give it 30 stamina.

sure, s2 weapon is probably better, but Im figuring on stockpiling honor for the expansion.

There was a blue post with a cryptic comment about the honor system, so don't plan TOO much on stuff from honor....

halabar

Postby Kelaan » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:06 pm

Boldbeard wrote:The easiest is probably one of the S2 2.6 speed weapons, pick one.

This. The sword has a more consistent damage range, and thus a higher minimum damage, but the axe and mace have a higher potential damage. I think the sword looks cooler, so I'll be going for that.
Kelaan

Postby Candiru » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:15 pm

Actually, when the 51point hammer is fixed to be normalised, we won't depend on Weapon speed very much at all (unless we use SoR)

This is because Hammer applies a seal proc, which will do damage depending on weapon speed, but hits every 6 seconds.

This means that if you are using SoV, you will be largely unaffected by weapon speed (other than the base weapon damage being higher) while if you use SoR you will want an slow mainhand.

By my calculations, even with 0 AP it takes a 5.0 speed weapon before SoR = SoV. If you add in reckoning then it will be less, but for nearly all practical purposes SoV will be better. This then means you want a nice fast weapon to stack it faster!

This same effect will also make ret want a slow 2H, even for SoB since the seal procs from crusader strike and divine storm will be effectively "ppm" and so want a slow weapon like for SoC.
Candiru

Postby ydraw » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:16 pm

Breeching comet from Heroic MgT is easy to get and has a socket, it's good enough to last you until you pick up some WOTLK loot.
ydraw

Next

Return to WotLK