Remove Advertisements

Mini shield wall?

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby jahve » Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:06 am

Questioner wrote:From what I can see the mitigation styles for the tanks will be like this:
Paladins block.
Warriors avoid.
Druids have high armor.
DKs parry.

Which sounds just fine be me. Blocking every 10k hit for 2k is a 20% damage redux..that's huge.

If warriors avoid then why build this mechanism into block? Unless special ability works even with miss, dodge and parry. Otherwise most of that 100% goes to waiste (reference to todays 75%) and reduces change that this "mini-shield wall" special ability comes to play. Or miss, dodge and parry are not major mitigation abilities in wotlk for warrior then what is?

This raises one of the biggest question. If warriors need 100% on their improved shield block to gain 100% chance of not getting normal hit, then how is our Holy Shield with 35% (libram or what ever) is keeping up with that? Is this the difference in WotLK?

This is what makes me wonder.

Also I though DK are mostly mitigating through armour buffs? Not sure though. However not the main topic on this chain. :wink:

Splug wrote:The gripe warriors have is that it's really only gaining 1x BV over its current effect on that swing, but unless a one-shot was coming up, the fact that surrounding attacks will now go unblocked means it's not really gaining much, even from a burst-time perspective. However, from that snippet it sounds like it may be improved to be brought more in line with their intent.
-Splug

This is exactly what I am worried. If warriors ability to prevent this one-shotting is buffed up improved shield block (which most of us seem to agree will change for more mitigation) then is our holy shield gonna be keeping up with pace or we pop divine protection (with considerably longer CD than improved shield block) or what?

Or is this how warrior will be special in WotLK and maintain MT role on some bosses?

Zombieritual wrote:Shield block isn't as needed as it was since bosses won't be able to crush anymore, but it is still a concern.

But I am begining to think it is very much needed.

Remember discussion about Illidan tanking and shear. Focus on that one was about not being able to keep pally Holy Shield up 100% of the time (10 sec CD with 10 sec duration, small change but very relevant) even if charges would be enough while warrior with shorter CD on Improved Shield Block enabled them to have it of CD before next shear could be coming back in. Warriors do not need to have improved shield block on all the time but they pop it as to "prevent being one-shotted" kinda. :oops:

Is this the mechanism in future?

If plate does not allow for 102.4% (or what ever) (miss, dodge, parry, block) and warriors are able to get there with improved shield block when it is appsolutely needed then where are we with that 35%? :shock:
jahve

Postby Levantine » Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:27 am

But it won't be ZOMG ABSOLUTELY NEEDED.

Sure, it'll make things much easier on some fights. There are ways around it though. A Holy Priest's Divine Guardian, a Resto Shaman's Spirit Link, etc etc. Would it be easier for some bossfights to have a Warrior tanking? Sure. Is that bad? No.
Levantine

Postby jahve » Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:44 am

Levantine wrote:But it won't be ZOMG ABSOLUTELY NEEDED.

Sure, it'll make things much easier on some fights. There are ways around it though. A Holy Priest's Divine Guardian, a Resto Shaman's Spirit Link, etc etc. Would it be easier for some bossfights to have a Warrior tanking? Sure. Is that bad? No.

For instance anything like boss hitting for debuf within every X secs which is blockable but if implemented undispellable X sec debuf that reduces your armour to 0? Or reduces some 15 k of you health? Or stunns you? Or reduces x which if implemented is very bad or prevents you from tanking.

We're trying to get Shield Block to feel more like a mini-Shield Wall. Use it when Something Bad is about to happen.

It will be interesting to see but I am guessing we will only see the meaning of this at 10/25 man raids.
jahve

Postby Dantriges » Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:31 am

Could be that they change shield block into something that let´s your block count as total avoid, regardless of incoming damage for one or a few attacks. IRL, shields aren´t used to partially mitigate damage but to keep something dangerous away.
Dantriges

Postby Snake-Aes » Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:47 am

Don't think so. Taking damage post-block is still taking damage.
I'm going toi go exactly by said blue words. They'll use it to minimize the effect of something Bad.

I doubt it'll be a killer thing like the IC Trash's "L5 charge", that does damage equal to the target's hp, and requires PW:S to survive. It's just something that you pop when you know healers have to reposition, or you got a -healing effect on you, orthe boss is about to use something that hits harder than the usual.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Previous

Return to WotLK