Remove Advertisements

Mini shield wall?

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Mini shield wall?

Postby jahve » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:10 am

I am getting really interested how they will change warrior mitigation.

The problem with the old Shield Block was it was never a choice. It was available so often, and always so useful, that you could just about put a brick on the key you use for Shield Block. We're trying to get Shield Block to feel more like a mini-Shield Wall. Use it when Something Bad is about to happen. We're not trying to nerf it -- we're trying to make it more fun. (Source)

Just to remind, Improved shield block: Increase chance to block and the amount blocked by 100% for 5 sec, 30 (20 with talents) SEC CD, 1 Charge.
jahve

Postby Base » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:14 am

I think that it's going to be a button left to one side and only ever used in situations where it's necessary to block a hit - such as shear.

The double block and critical block talents sound lovely, but as damage scales up I think it's going to be less and less use to block 2k damage once every 20seconds.

However for us, blocking 1k damage every 2 seconds (or more often) will make a much more significant difference to mitigation.
Base

Postby ulushnar » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:14 am

If that's their intention, it'll probably get anothe buff before it goes live.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Karock » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:28 am

I think his point isn't that it be some huge mitigation button but that they want it to be a reactive mitigation button.
Karock

Postby Nich » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:31 am

I wonder how it'll balance out vs higher overall mitigation than us from talents/skills.
Nich

Postby jahve » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:26 am

Ulushnar wrote:If that's their intention, it'll probably get anothe buff before it goes live.

That is what I am also thinking.

You could also see it like this:
It was available so often, and always so useful, that you could just about put a brick on the key you use for Holy Shield.

Sounds like warrior mitigation is changed more towards passive mitigation; parry, dodge and/or armour having mini shield wall button while player is keyboard smashing for threat.

Then how is it going to be for us. It looks like with those new talents that we also are getting are lot of agro movements. Is armour and holy shield our base line mitigation and Divine Protection on 4 min CD our reactive button.

Of course currently lot of agro with palatank comes from being hit. Holy Shield with lots of charges sounds like a lot of smaller hits. I guess it is too early trying to draw conclusions.
jahve

Postby Worldie » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:29 am

Honestly in wotlk, at least for now, Holy Shield is a very minor minor part of our threat.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Base » Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:27 am

At least until they fix it to scale with AP (not that it really scales with SP now...)
Base

Postby Questioner » Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:43 am

Worldie wrote:Honestly in wotlk, at least for now, Holy Shield is a very minor minor part of our threat.

I don't think that is what people are really talking about here. I think its more like "In wotlk, at least for now, Holy Shield is a very major part of our mitigation." Haven't seen anyone above us talking about holy shield threat.

From what I can see the mitigation styles for the tanks will be like this:

Paladins block.
Warriors avoid.
Druids have high armor.
DKs parry.

Which sounds just fine be me. Blocking every 10k hit for 2k is a 20% damage redux..that's huge.
<3 Tankadin at Heart.

Not necessarily accurate: Armory
Questioner

Postby Snake-Aes » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:22 am

Questioner wrote:
Worldie wrote:Honestly in wotlk, at least for now, Holy Shield is a very minor minor part of our threat.

I don't think that is what people are really talking about here. I think its more like "In wotlk, at least for now, Holy Shield is a very major part of our mitigation." Haven't seen anyone above us talking about holy shield threat.

From what I can see the mitigation styles for the tanks will be like this:

Paladins block.
Warriors avoid.
Druids have high armor.
DKs parry.

Which sounds just fine be me. Blocking every 10k hit for 2k is a 20% damage redux..that's huge.
Don't think we'll have more block than warriors, though. We will just block more. Also by using the same gear, there are 2 possibilities
1: We both avoid so much we end up blocking almost everything
2: We don't avoid taht much and rely on as much active blocking as we can.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Splug » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:39 pm

jahve wrote:Sounds like warrior mitigation is changed more towards passive mitigation; parry, dodge and/or armour having mini shield wall button while player is keyboard smashing for threat.
The first part is the status quo. Shield block just eats 10 rage every 5 seconds, and gets treated as a passive effect. It sounds like the change is aiming toward making it similar to say, deathknight's bone armor. 2x BV may not sound like much, but it actually may end up scaling up with damage output, due to the (theoretically) more prevalent STR on tanking gear. The gripe warriors have is that it's really only gaining 1x BV over its current effect on that swing, but unless a one-shot was coming up, the fact that surrounding attacks will now go unblocked means it's not really gaining much, even from a burst-time perspective. However, from that snippet it sounds like it may be improved to be brought more in line with their intent.

-Splug
Active raid character: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... an&n=Spyte
255 characters is not enough to fit my alts' armories in.
Splug
Maintankadonor

Postby Arcand » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:46 pm

I'm faintly surprised that I can't think of a single boss who uses Slam.

They could create some warrior-love bosses by giving them burst-damage abilities like that which are countered by burst-mitigation.
Arcand

Postby Dawnseeker » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:56 pm

Elthar wrote:At least until they fix it to scale with AP (not that it really scales with SP now...)

Or block value. Been hoping they'd do that for a while, there's still plenty of time :)
Telleryn, Vokh, Elderhorn, Mirinas, Thanaryn, Amitheya, Emareyn, Zenbaja, Mellivora, Corvas <Marmite> Draenor-EU
Dawnseeker

Postby Fridmarr » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:38 pm

Yeah, rank 1 is sounding pretty good right now.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby ZombieRitual » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:53 pm

One of the things that's being missed is popping shield block has been a great way to get revenge to pop before your block rating is high enough to see it up regularly. Revenge is our most efficient rage to threat ability (it only takes 5). Shield block isn't as needed as it was since bosses won't be able to crush anymore, but it is still a concern.
ZombieRitual

Next

Return to WotLK