Remove Advertisements

Can "8/31/12" make its return?

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Can "8/31/12" make its return?

Postby Morn » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:33 pm

Those who now what I'm talking about have wet panties right now. While it wasn't invented by him, it was better known as the Mchammar spec and it was pretty much the only workable PvP spec at the time.

I think it can make a return (as 8/51/12 of course) eventhough it's going to be drastically different from the old one, I do see it as a potentially viable PvP spec. But there's one thing that destroys my plan: HotR requires a onehander.

The spec I made is this one:
http://wotlk.wowhead.com/?talent=sxhZEGzhxhog0Ve0Moxbuz

While points could be pushed around, the idea is that it's a PvP spec aimed at twohanders (so no shield talents) that would do high burst damage, would have good survivability and some support. Pretty much like the old one. While the days of reckbombs are long gone, the new Reckoning can still be dangerous with a twohander.

Now that seals proc off of all weapon attacks, Reckoning and HotR could provide some excellent burst damage when used with SoC. But, like I said: HotR is a onehander skill so the entire thing is just "what ifs".

However, I don't see a reason why Blizzard can't change it to make it usable with twohanders. It would only improve the viability of Prot in grinding and PvP. I think this one little change is all it takes to make Prot a possibility in PvP.

While my motives are almost entirely made up of nostalgia, I do think it would make an interesting and viable spec.

Thoughts?
Morn

Postby Dorvan » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:41 pm

Meh, it's one of many possible specs for messing around in BGs, but for the purposes you stated it doesn't really make sense....the only really good talent you're picking up from Prot is Reck, and you're giving up CStrike which is a huge nerf to your burst potential.

I don't have a personal interest in BG specs anyway, but I'd go for something more like this:

http://wotlk.wowhead.com/?talent=sxZtGz ... Mtr0hAhs0z

....and that's making the assumption that picking up Reck is worth missing out on Divine Storm.
Last edited by Dorvan on Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby PsiVen » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:42 pm

Reckoning only worked because it was bursty and you had healing ability. Now everyone has resilience so you can't really burst them and healing ability requires deep holy. The spec is very much dead IMO.
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Dorvan » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:45 pm

Well, Sheath of Light and Spiritual Focus look like they'd work together pretty well at least. With judgments of the just Ret Pallies might actually be able to spare mana for a heal, and sheath of light would ensure that the heal hits for more than like 200.

Nostalgia is a poor basis for a build construction though.
Last edited by Dorvan on Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Karock » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:45 pm

Honestly it was based around two things, reckoning giving you a defensive retaliation and lower cooldown BoPs giving you better survivability in battlegrounds. It wasn't an amazing thing, Paladin just sucked then, hard.
Karock

Postby Boldbeard » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:49 pm

I would like to see a high AP 2H shockadin using SoC and Sheath of Light. That would be hawt.
Rexxar, 70 Prot (spec in flux)
Boldbeard

Postby Morn » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:51 pm

Come on people, NOSTALGIA!

And while Reckoning isn't as good for PvP as it was, if I'm correct then with this spec this could happen:

- Hit
- SoC from hit
- Reckoning
- SoC from Reckoning
- HotR
- SoC from HotR

That's some pretty mean burst.

It could work!

.. :(
Morn

Postby Dorvan » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:12 pm

Morn wrote:Come on people, NOSTALGIA!

And while Reckoning isn't as good for PvP as it was, if I'm correct then with this spec this could happen:

- Hit
- SoC from hit
- Reckoning
- SoC from Reckoning
- HotR
- SoC from HotR

That's some pretty mean burst.

It could work!

.. :(

...but HotR is 1H (and I don't see that changing), and 26 points for HotR is a pretty crappy investment when you compare it to what you'd get by dumping those points in ret.

Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Return to WotLK