Bankroll heading into Wrath

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Nich » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:13 am

I gave away most of my money before I stopped playing a few months back to travel. I'm probably lucky to have 200g left between two 70s.

I have a sneaking suspicion that, no matter how much I want to farm gold up for just-in-case moments, I'm going to get home and be bored witless of the gold grind within a week : \
Nich

Postby sherck » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:02 am

Well, since I still need to get the last eight levels to reach 70 prior to release of WoTLK...

...and I will need to gear up upon reaching 70 with faction rep "welfare" blues since I SUCK at getting instance drops...

...and gem them...

...and enchant them...

...and buy a flying mount...

...and pay for level 70 skills...

...and I only play about 4 hours a week so knowing my leveling rate, I should ding 70 about six minutes before the expansion comes out...

...I expect to take about 3 gold, 14 silver, 59 copper into the expansion.

Sigh...damn slow leveling Holy Paladins... :D

Cheers,
sherck

Postby theckhd » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:31 am

I have 13k on my paladin right now, planning for 20k+ for wrath. I still need to drop 5k for my druid alt's epic flight form, and maybe the 1.6k for the hippogryph mount, but that's about it in terms of expenditures. I bring in a couple hundred gold a day through fishing, and I'll probably start converting the ~200 badges in my bank into gems soon.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 6.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby ARogers » Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:18 am

I actually got up to 600g last night! The only time I've ever had over 1k gold was right before I got my nonepic flyer on my pally, my only 60.

I been thinking about doing this for gold:
1) Do dailies on my pally first. I'm a bit slower, but can still clear them in a little over an hour for 110g on the island.
2) After dailies, use my 63 Shammy to do nothing but kill and skin talbuks and clefthoofs in Nagrand. I'll get the leather plus some good meat to make consumables. It will also help me level up the shammy for Wrath.

Unfortunately, I don't have any epic flyers. I plan on making 5k gold as soon as I can for that and go into wrath with whatever I can farm after that. Raiding is pretty much done for pre-wrath. I may even drop LW and pick up herbs and stockpile for wrath.

Does this sound like a good idea to you gold makers? I'm a total idiot when it comes to making gold. I can't find an effective way to make gold on my pally, and he is my main char.
ARogers

Postby Pizbit » Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:21 am

Level the shaman to 70 fast and do dailies on that toon, faster, and a second toon to do them on. Farm faster etc too.
Can get the shaman on to primals etc for higher profits.
I have ADHD and OCD...I keep forgetting to wash my hands.
Pizbit

Postby ARogers » Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:25 am

Pizbit wrote:Level the shaman to 70 fast and do dailies on that toon, faster, and a second toon to do them on. Farm faster etc too.

How long would it take an enhance shammy to do the dailies though? I've heard you can clear 150-200g an hour skinning in Nagrand. Is that not right? I just want to make sure I AT LEAST have an epic mount for my shammy. I want to go into wrath leveling him first i think. All my friends seem to be adament about farming stuff.
ARogers

Postby Pizbit » Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:32 am

ARogers wrote:
Pizbit wrote:Level the shaman to 70 fast and do dailies on that toon, faster, and a second toon to do them on. Farm faster etc too.

How long would it take an enhance shammy to do the dailies though? I've heard you can clear 150-200g an hour skinning in Nagrand. Is that not right? I just want to make sure I AT LEAST have an epic mount for my shammy. I want to go into wrath leveling him first i think. All my friends seem to be adament about farming stuff.

I honestly don't see a huge market for leather at least on my server, too easy to flood the market.
And enhance shammies, not long, with water shield you can't go OOM.
Like I said, you can start on other primals to variety in what to sell. My favourite farm spot are level 67 warlocks in SMV at legions hold. Aldor rep items sell nicely.
I have ADHD and OCD...I keep forgetting to wash my hands.
Pizbit

Postby ARogers » Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:53 am

Pizbit wrote:
ARogers wrote:

I honestly don't see a huge market for leather at least on my server, too easy to flood the market.
And enhance shammies, not long, with water shield you can't go OOM.
Like I said, you can start on other primals to variety in what to sell. My favourite farm spot are level 67 warlocks in SMV at legions hold. Aldor rep items sell nicely.

Aldor items sell nice and primals do too. I used to farm fire primals in SMV on the pally. I'd keep on the tank gear I had with SD and farm fires in SMV. I may have to get back on the AH and check out the value of primals again. I've heard with an epic flyer, the mote extractor makes for fast farming.
ARogers

Postby Dragonzbane » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:25 am

Honorshammer wrote:
Dragonzbane wrote:I don't really pay to much attention to money though.
I log in to raid, do a little PvP and an occasional cooking or fishing quest.
That's it.

I don't grind dailies and I don't have enough time to make money with engineering or mining so I'm not rolling in cash like some of you guys.

Then how did you make all that cash. I do about the same and I'm sitting around 2k gold.

I did grind out a decent amount of gold when I was leveling my Netherwing Rep a few months ago, a couple grand worth. That was back when you could only do 10 dailies though. And I did grind some dailies while trying to get exalted with SSO though most of that rep came from daily HMgT runs.

Most of my money now comes from farmed content.
BT, Bear Runs, Archimonde are all free gold for me add in the occasional quest and that's it.

To go through all of BT without dying gives you a decent hunk of change.
On Sunwell nights the guild pays for the repair bills and supplies consumables for the tanks so those are basically free nights too.
Last edited by Dragonzbane on Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dragonzbane

Postby Frew » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:29 am

I'm still grinding out mats and stuff for gear.

I have 300 gold total, 2 toons. Between BOE epics for my mage (Belt of Blasting, etc) and leveling engineering from 0-280 last night, I don't have much. I'm at a point where I'm okay with spending money to upgrade my characters.
Image Image
Frew
Maintankadonor

Postby Tiandelin » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:20 am

Most of my gold comes from my alchemists, my tailors, and epic gems from badges. I have an insane number of alts though, most of whom are alchemists for the absurd profit they can turn from transmutes.

Earth -> Life/Water is about 20-25g profit daily per alchemist, the various tailoring specializations get me maybe 60-70g per tailor every four days, and I get tons of badges doing ZA bear runs and Karazhan in addition to BT every week. Those get turned into gems that sell for maybe 300g each.

Aside from my pally, I've put all my characters on hold as far as spending significant amounts of gold to upgrade their equipment, so I'm basically just accumulating gold. My only real source of expenses is Sunwell consumables and repair bills.

I have 28k currently, and I'm hoping to hit the expansion with maybe 50-60k at this rate. It depends mostly on AH prices and the flow of badges.
Tiandelin - Co-MT of Monolith, Area 52 US
Tiandelin

Postby sherck » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:53 am

Not quite on topic but a general question from a guy whom is only level 62 ATM...

Is spending 5k on an epic flight mount worth it? Does it get you places a normal mount does not?

You can travel faster, I get it.
Traveling faster means faster money making, I get it.
Traveling faster means more dailies now, I get it.

Efficiency aside, is there a complelling reason to drop 5k on the epic flying mount? I don't PvP so doing it for the battleground is not a solid arguement for me.

We will not be ably to use flying mounts in the expansion until some higher level (77?) or so I have heard.

Anyway, once I hit 70, I am currently planning on spending my money, once I buy my normal flying mount, on gear upgrades, welfare rep vendor blues, gems, enchants, etc to get ready for Wrath.

Opinions? Thoughts?

Cheers,
sherck

Postby Arcand » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:13 am

sherck wrote:You can travel faster, I get it.

It's soooooo much faster. When I go from one of my alts on a non-epic flier to Arcand with Crusader Aura up, the difference is so extreme I get a flicker of vertigo in the back of my head when I take off.

Has it paid for itself yet? Probably not. But over the lifetime of the character it probably will, and as you're grinding up the money you can also be running up rep with Skyguard, Ogri'la, Shattered Sun, etc or do the daily heroics and meet several dozen meh players and two or three awesome ones who end up on your friend list.
Arcand

Postby Kelaan » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:39 am

Arcand wrote:
sherck wrote:You can travel faster, I get it.

It's soooooo much faster.

The difference is MORE impressive than going from slow ground mount to fast ground mount. It's more impressive than WALKING to fast ground mount. The speed is noticeable. It becomes actually faster to fly DIRECTLY, rather than use flight paths. (I still use them for afk travel, though.) If I had crusader aura, that'd be even better.

At 70, on my paladin i still travel on my ground mount, as it's faster than flying usually. On my hunter, I just fly everywhere in outlands. If you are going tofly, it's worth it. Now, from the perspective of WRATH ... maybe not. You hardly need to fly anywhere in outlands, except for some farming spots or TK dungeons. If you're expecting to hit 70 right before Wrath, I would consider waiting on the normal and epic flying mounts, since you'll be ground-pounding in Northrend for 7-8 more levels anyways.
Kelaan

Previous

Return to WotLK