Wrath pally tanking for beginners?

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Wrath pally tanking for beginners?

Postby Moby » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:35 am

Just wondering if there is a thread here or even an external link that provides a nice overview of how pally tanking is changing in Wrath. I see lots of information posted here, but it's all over the place, and I quickly find myself getting lost in new abbreviations and terminology that I'm not familiar with.

I guess what I'm looking for is a primer of sorts for someone who has done lots of BC tanking, but doesn't yet have the foggiest clue about the changes in Wrath, and how it will affect gameplay.

Thanks!
Moby

Re: Wrath pally tanking for beginners?

Postby Fizzgig » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:48 am

Moby wrote:Just wondering if there is a thread here or even an external link that provides a nice overview of how pally tanking is changing in Wrath. I see lots of information posted here, but it's all over the place, and I quickly find myself getting lost in new abbreviations and terminology that I'm not familiar with.

I guess what I'm looking for is a primer of sorts for someone who has done lots of BC tanking, but doesn't yet have the foggiest clue about the changes in Wrath, and how it will affect gameplay.

Thanks!

It's probably still a little early for a compendium update considering we get new buffs every patch :)
Fizzgig

Postby Forlorn » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:12 pm

Currently there isnt alot in wotlk to tank and really crunch numbers on. Level cap is still 77 and most gear is still the old school stuff. There is the new blacksmith crafted stuff available on trainers but I havent found anyone to make it for me yet.

While not necessarily ideal I will say that 2/2 imp judgement makes for a nice easy rotation: Cons > Holy Shield > Judge > Hammer of Rigtht > Shield of Right > Repeat ad naseum. However as i said there maybe a better solution that produces more threat, this is just the easiest one i found after spending alot of time working on it.
Forlorn

Postby Mortehl » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:20 pm

Paladins in any spec have significant tanking tools available to them. Look at the trees and skills and you'll see what I mean.
Arthas, we're coming for you. (Eventually)
Mortehl

Postby fiorina » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:57 pm

uh, tanked few instances today and it hurts... have to smash like 4 more buttons.. no more consecration and AFK :<

It's question whether Tier6 will be changed from pure spelldmg to more AP/stamina based gear. Without Omen it's hard to measure whether is pure spelldmg or AP/SD mix better for threat. Avoidance-wise there are no mobs which hits hard enough yet... just normal instances, full blocks etc. :/

Taunt seems somehow "fixed", it waits until mob have some target and then taunts. Gonna test more on some casters.
fiorina
Maintankadonor

Postby Vanifae » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:06 pm

fiorina wrote:uh, tanked few instances today and it hurts... have to smash like 4 more buttons.. no more consecration and AFK :<

I find this to be a change for the better.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby Worldie » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:08 pm

R.i.P. to binding every key to Consecration and being the most overpowered 5 men tanks by just facerolling on the keyboard.

However at least i don't fall asleep while tanking on the beta.

Fiori, you're on the EU beta as well? :)
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby fiorina » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:04 pm

Worldie wrote:R.i.P. to binding every key to Consecration and being the most overpowered 5 men tanks by just facerolling on the keyboard.

:<
However at least i don't fall asleep while tanking on the beta.

Fiori, you're on the EU beta as well? :)

ye, but as I am at US timezone I am playing at nights mostly, switching between prot and retri all the time.

But back to OP. It's really hard to judge something now. Imagine you have just Blood Furnace and Sethekk Halls available and you have to say hows paladin tank is doing in TBC. You can tank all content just spamming Consecration and holy shield now basicaly, no guide needed. We will know more on lvl80...

Let me add one picture. This is unbuffed basic lvl70 prot build. Check the spell damage and for how much consecration ticks. Sure, there is no BoS anymore, but still it's ZzzZzz
fiorina
Maintankadonor

Postby knaughty » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:49 pm

Vanifae wrote:
fiorina wrote:uh, tanked few instances today and it hurts... have to smash like 4 more buttons.. no more consecration and AFK :<

I find this to be a change for the better.

I'm happy about the change now.

I'm glad I learned to tank with only 2 buttons to push. Tanking is harder than being a warlock, and takes a while to learn, even if you do level prot specced.
This isn't the "Offtankadin" forum. My MoP FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/FAQ-5-0
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Location: Sydney, plotting my next diatribe against the forces of ignorance!

Postby Moby » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:08 am

Thanks everyone - I finally located the patch notes, and it looks like they provide the basic info I need so I can at least follow along with some of the things being posted here.
Moby

Postby Sinnegorth » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:52 am

It appears a couple of the biggest changes are:

1. The need for a slow 1h weap with high white damage for HoR
2. AP now buffs are damage in addition to spell power
3. The need for +strength to boost our AP/avoidance
4. Spell power buffs our damage more than AP, but I assume a combo of the two is optimal
5. The old pally bubble Divine protection has the tooltip changed so that we can not only attck but it reduces incoming Damage by 50% - hence the new pally tank "shield wall"
6. Seal of the Crusader is gone

There are more but that's what I have gleaned from the threads in a nutshell
Sinnegorth

Postby Makaijin » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:09 pm

Sinnegorth wrote:3. The need for +strength to boost our AP/avoidance

Since when did strength boosted our avoidance? I thought the new stregth changes boosted our block value to 1 BV for every 2 STR?
Makaijin

Postby Dorvan » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:18 pm

Makaijin wrote:
Sinnegorth wrote:3. The need for +strength to boost our AP/avoidance

Since when did strength boosted our avoidance? I thought the new stregth changes boosted our block value to 1 BV for every 2 STR?

you are correct, the text you quoted is an error

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Return to WotLK