What's the deal with dodge/parry/block now?

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Nich » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:05 pm

WHile it'll take a greater ibudget to get the same avoidance seen now, items will also have a higher ibudget.

I had the impression that 'sunwell radiance' was specifically there because they'd screwed up warrior itemisation (and druid and paladin, to a degree) with far too much avoidance, and it was a cheap nerf without reitemising.

ie, I don't think they'll make that same mistake again.

Apart from Deathknights, it seems, who are meant to parry lots to make up for no shield >.>
Nich

Postby Splug » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:07 pm

I think you've got the classes out of order there. Druids could reach a passively immune to damage level - bringing warriors and paladins back down to earth would be the "lesser degree."

-Splug
Active raid character: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... an&n=Spyte
255 characters is not enough to fit my alts' armories in.
Splug
Maintankadonor

Postby Dorvan » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:13 pm

Nich wrote:Apart from Deathknights, it seems, who are meant to parry lots to make up for no shield >.>

Any justfication/evidence for this? As far as I can tell, Frost Presence is what makes up for no shield.

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Splug » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:35 pm

Using lv 70 numbers, Frost Presence just about covers the armor component of not having a shield. 15% toughness instead of 10% might cover the missing block value. That still leaves one moderate gap: IRF/Defensive stance. Based on the current tallent trees, there are a lot of proc or passive abilities to increase parry chance, suggesting that will be the intent. Whether they'll have a better forumla for parry or not is anyone's guess.

-Splug
Active raid character: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... an&n=Spyte
255 characters is not enough to fit my alts' armories in.
Splug
Maintankadonor

Postby Nich » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:44 pm

Splug wrote:I think you've got the classes out of order there. Druids could reach a passively immune to damage level - bringing warriors and paladins back down to earth would be the "lesser degree."
Probably. My guild doesn't really post on their forums much, so I'm mostly going by what was said when talking to our warrior MT a few months ago, before I cancelled my game time and went overseas. It wasn't something I'd heard about from our own druids, tho' I'd seen it mentioned occasionally online.

Dorvan wrote:
Nich wrote:Apart from Deathknights, it seems, who are meant to parry lots to make up for no shield >.>
Any justfication/evidence for this? As far as I can tell, Frost Presence is what makes up for no shield.
I meant that moreso in terms of not being able to block, sorry. Based on the assumption that they'll have enough spare talents to sink at least 10 into the blood tree to get forceful deflection, if not spell reflection. I really don't understand how DKs are meant to work (from a design/mechanics role) in any of their raid roles yet.
Nich

Previous

Return to WotLK