Remove Advertisements

What's the deal with dodge/parry/block now?

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

What's the deal with dodge/parry/block now?

Postby Borknagar » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:04 am

I've been going through the WotlK databases and I cant really see any dodge/parry/block rating values on any plate items at all.

Anyone feel the urge to explain how they changed it?
Borknagar

Postby ulushnar » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:05 am

Check how much dodge/parry/block there was on levelling items in TBC.

Until we get the level 80 instances, we have no idea what the itemization's gonna be like.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Andryana » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:07 am

I don't think we haven't seen any lvl80 gear yet.. that should have some dodge/parry,etc.

And since they are removing crushings and we get 5% dodge and 5%parry from talents, i guess that gear won't have much avoidance as it has now.
Andryana

Postby Snake-Aes » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:10 am

Andryana wrote:I don't think we haven't seen any lvl80 gear yet.. that should have some dodge/parry,etc.

And since they are removing crushings and we get 5% dodge and 5%parry from talents, i guess that gear won't have much avoidance as it has now.
Feels that the trend will be lower avoidance tanks, maybe 55% endgame, tops. Don't expect to see something like "120 dodge rating" on an item at all.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Modal » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:19 am

Greathealm of the Unyielding Bull

Grips of the Valiant Champion

Amulet of Wills

Kurzel's Warband

Venture Coin Mitigation Cloak - PH

Earthbound Cape

Worgen's Ring of Revitalization

Dorian's Prybar

I see no reason to think we'll see less Dodge/Parry rating than in TBC. Block rating, probably, since DKs won't use it.
Modal

Postby ulushnar » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:20 am

There's one level 75 helm with Parry Rating on it, but that's it.

I think we'll still see some avoidance, but yeah, it's not gonna be that silly.

I hope and pray is that there's no Block Rating at all on level 80 items.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Yadard » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:40 am

Interesting. So, Venture Coins are going to be non-heroic BoJs to get decent gear while leveling if you're not lucky with drops at a guess. Nice find.

Sworn: We do bad things to bad people.

Yadard - 70 - Moonglade
Yadard

Postby Dendrah » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:41 am

I have got a strong feeling that blizzard is pushing us towards EH tanking. They already did some patchworking in SWP to reduce avoidance efficiency. I expect them to disallow huge stacking of dodge/parry.

All in all that is not a bad thing since out stamina scales nicely from talents and we get SD from it. Also AD is a strong mitigation talent.
Being hit will also allow more reactive damage and more procs from rebout and reckoning.
Dendrah

Postby Lore » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:46 am

Eh, actually avoidance is significantly stronger in Sunwell than it is in any other instance (even with the debuff), purely because you can't outlast more than 1-2 hits without a heal on most of the bosses.

I don't think we'll particularly see too much less raw avoidance. Less block rating is fairly likely though.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Mehnalas » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:56 am

I'm hoping the change to avoidance and such will help reduce the luck factor in tanking. I had a fun time on Prince blocking 6 attacks in a row causing me to die and wipe the raid :( .
Lore(lol) wrote:Short answer: No.

Long answer: Nope.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... n=Mehnalas
Mehnalas

Postby Vencedor » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:15 am

Am I the only one looking at the gear with STR on it and having a hard time thinking "Wow, that's a nice tank item" ?

That is gonna take some getting used to...
Vencedor

Postby ulushnar » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:17 am

Vencedor wrote:Am I the only one looking at the gear with STR on it and having a hard time thinking "Wow, that's a nice tank item" ?

That is gonna take some getting used to...

Give it time. Once you actually see how it affects your stats when you equip it, and how it affects your threat in game, you'll feel better.

I'm just praying there'll be a mod like RatingBuster that can calculate out the AP to SP equivalencies for gear.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Worldie » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:55 am

It's not like RatingBuster will not be updated, it's a very simple written addon :|
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby ulushnar » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:59 am

Worldie wrote:It's not like RatingBuster will not be updated, it's a very simple written addon :|

Yes, but I'm more interested in a mod or even just a decent ratio that compares x SP to y AP in terms of how they boost our abilities.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby PsiVen » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:05 am

I'm writing an addon that shows on the tooltip a standardized threat contribution from an item to your current gear vs. a few different numbers of targets. Don't wait up for it though, I may be good with numbers but I know jack about lua :P

It's been mentioned that greens and blues this time around are more restricted in their budgets, i.e. they have str/stam/def because that's all they're allowed to have and they'd be worse off with dodge or parry instead of def. I still expect to see all the defensive stats stick around, but most general/leveling drops will be universal tank plate.
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Next

Return to WotLK