Any hope that prot paladins can pvp in WotLK?

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Any hope that prot paladins can pvp in WotLK?

Postby Wakeman » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:12 am

Everyone know that prot paladins suck in pvp. Is there any hope that this will change in WotLK?

Right now a large proportion of our damage is reactive, which is useless against casters or hunters, and we cannot do much if melee do not attack us. Will Hammer of the Righteous and Shield of the Righteous add enough direct damage so that we can kill someone "actively"? Any thought?
Image Fear my Bacon of Light!
User avatar
Wakeman
 
Posts: 511
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:23 am

Postby Agodaar » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:15 am

Unless Blizzard fucks something up prot will always suck in pvp.. Both Warrior and Paladin prot.
Calithra Lvl 80 Paladin Tank @ Ravencrest :)
Agodaar
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:57 am

Postby Andryana » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:21 am

I don't think we will be able to do much as prot.

I'm kind of hoping that rumour of being able to have 2 specs to switch from would be true.. i would put some healing gear and play a healer on BG's which i actually like.
Image
Andryana
 
Posts: 378
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:30 am

Postby Snake-Aes » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:29 am

A Full prot build is nothing but something that just doesn't die in PvP, making you a good flag runner(yay poj) and guard to hold a place with a healer, but just that.

I know warriors with 20-ish points in prot are very survivable, and can still do reasonable damage.
Image
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
User avatar
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 15550
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:15 am
Location: Thorns

Postby Wakeman » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:33 am

Andryana wrote:I'm kind of hoping that rumour of being able to have 2 specs to switch from would be true.. i would put some healing gear and play a healer on BG's which i actually like.



I hope they will implement this feature too. Though I would still love to see prot paladins have role in pvp.
Image Fear my Bacon of Light!
User avatar
Wakeman
 
Posts: 511
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:23 am

Postby ulushnar » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:35 am

Hey, I killed a Prot Warrior yesterday! Whilst mind controlled in TK.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
User avatar
ulushnar
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 5442
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 6:56 am
Location: Bollocks, Scotland

Postby Wakeman » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:35 am

If only taunt can work on players....... :roll:
Image Fear my Bacon of Light!
User avatar
Wakeman
 
Posts: 511
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:23 am

Postby Wakeman » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:36 am

Ulushnar wrote:Hey, I killed a Prot Warrior yesterday! Whilst mind controlled in TK.



lol

Another proof that Prot Paladin > Prot Warrior! :wink:
Image Fear my Bacon of Light!
User avatar
Wakeman
 
Posts: 511
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:23 am

Postby Snake-Aes » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:37 am

Wakeman wrote:If only taunt can work on players....... :roll:
Roll a DK

Death Grip is the sole reason I'll have a DK at all, originally. It's just too funny being able to play hot potato using 5 or so DKs

<starts punting gnomes>
Image
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
User avatar
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 15550
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:15 am
Location: Thorns

Postby ulushnar » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:41 am

I actually thought about this just the now.

In the new edition of the Dungeons and Dragons tabletop game the tank classes have an ability known as "marking". Simply put if a marked mob doesn't attack the person who marked them, they have a penalty to hit and (in the case of Paladins) they take damage. It's been designed to model a computer RPG tank's taunt without explicitly forcing a monster or player to attack the the marker.

Something like that would be an interesting PVP ability for tanking classes, a debuff applied to a player that does bad stuff if they don't attack the debuffer.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
User avatar
ulushnar
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 5442
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 6:56 am
Location: Bollocks, Scotland

Postby Snake-Aes » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:45 am

Ulushnar wrote:I actually thought about this just the now.

In the new edition of the Dungeons and Dragons tabletop game the tank classes have an ability known as "marking". Simply put if a marked mob doesn't attack the person who marked them, they have a penalty to hit and (in the case of Paladins) they take damage. It's been designed to model a computer RPG tank's taunt without explicitly forcing a monster or player to attack the the marker.

Something like that would be an interesting PVP ability for tanking classes, a debuff applied to a player that does bad stuff if they don't attack the debuffer.
So basically we'd have to consolidate the Ultimte ability of annoying the hell out of the mob...
I like it.
Image
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
User avatar
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 15550
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:15 am
Location: Thorns

Postby Wakeman » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:49 am

Snake-Aes wrote:
Wakeman wrote:If only taunt can work on players....... :roll:
Roll a DK

Death Grip is the sole reason I'll have a DK at all, originally. It's just too funny being able to play hot potato using 5 or so DKs

<starts punting gnomes>
]


I think when using on player, Death Grip only pulls the target player toward you but will not force him to attack you. Or will it?
Image Fear my Bacon of Light!
User avatar
Wakeman
 
Posts: 511
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:23 am

Postby Snake-Aes » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:52 am

Wakeman wrote:
Snake-Aes wrote:
Wakeman wrote:If only taunt can work on players....... :roll:
Roll a DK

Death Grip is the sole reason I'll have a DK at all, originally. It's just too funny being able to play hot potato using 5 or so DKs

<starts punting gnomes>
]


I think when using on player, Death Grip only pulls the target player toward you but will not force him to attack you. Or will it?
I'm not sure if it forces a retarget, but it does pull. That alone is funny enough for me.
Image
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
User avatar
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 15550
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:15 am
Location: Thorns

Postby Andryana » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:55 am

I'm pretty sure it's only a pull, but anyway it will fun to see that on BG's.

It gotta have some diminishing returns.. or else a player could be a ping-pong ball.
Image
Andryana
 
Posts: 378
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:30 am

Postby Snake-Aes » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:59 am

Andryana wrote:I'm pretty sure it's only a pull, but anyway it will fun to see that on BG's.

It gotta have some diminishing returns.. or else a player could be a ping-pong ball.
Can't tell given it's on a long CD(like 30 secs talented). If it doesn't, it'sl ike I said.

GG GNOME HOT POTATO GAME!
Image
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
User avatar
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 15550
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:15 am
Location: Thorns

Next

Return to WotLK

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest